Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

I listen to more football than I watch and while that's obviously a whole different art, I always like John Murray on R5 although he sometimes goes a little bit Tango Advert when he gets himself excited :)  

Edited by OpenC

7 hours ago, Pilko said:

Compare that with miserable boring wankers like Lawro, Guy Mowbray, Nasser Hussain when he used to do the cricket, the whinging Mark Bright etc and it's like a totally different art.

Nasser is one of the best cricket commentators around.

13 hours ago, Rafalove said:

What makes a good commentator?

Knowledge, passion, humor, an understanding of the moment. Getting that they're there to accentuate the action, not dominate it. Someone who can feather context (tactical or dramatic) to the moment while also conveying the moment itself.

4 hours ago, OpenC said:

I listen to more football than I watch and while that's obviously a whole different art, I always like John Murray on R5 although he sometimes goes a little bit Tango Advert when he gets himself excited :)  

Agree with this.

What happened to Alan Green btw? Was he binned or did he retire?

2 hours ago, toon25 said:

Agree with this.

What happened to Alan Green btw? Was he binned or did he retire?

BBC sacked him as he wouldn't change his name to Alan Brown as part of their woke agenda.

Ian Crocker is another great one. 

Drury says something stupid every five or so minutes. I can take him but you’re bound to groan listening to his commentary. Arlo White says something stupid every minute. Hate him with a passion. 

the American commentators are the worst. You get phrases like “it’s in the net”. The other day I heard a commentator refer to a player as “that guy”. That’s unacceptable. 

6 hours ago, joeyt said:

Nasser is one of the best cricket commentators around.

I can't stand him, find him to be incredibly negative and miserable and rarely finds any joy in anything. Suppose it goes to show that a "good commentator" is quite hard to agree on, although seemingly this thread is in consensus about the shittest ones. 

20 hours ago, Rafalove said:

What makes a good commentator?

Knowing when to speak and when to shut up, not having an annoying voice and not needing to have a million pointleas stats at hand.

I really like Matthew Raisbeck for our games, not sure what I'd think as a neutral.

2 hours ago, madras said:

Knowing when to speak and when to shut up, not having an annoying voice and not needing to have a million pointleas stats at hand.

I really like Matthew Raisbeck for our games, not sure what I'd think as a neutral.

Razor is great. I think he's better than Mick Lowes.

Slight deviating from the topic, but on the BBC Newcastle sports shows a few years ago they had a cricket reporter and he did my nut in. He obviously had a list of questions in front of him to ask his interviewee and he would just go through them, acknowledging the answer with a mere "uh huh", no follow up or conversational tone, and just moved to his next pre-prepared question. I'm not a massive cricket fan, but he did other sports too and was the same regardless of the subject. It sounded so dismissive and kind of ignorant and he was on for the years I used to listen without any improvement or development. I really can't remember his name though. Sorry, but reading these replies has awoken that irritation in me so wanted to vent :)

17 hours ago, OpenC said:

He is. Justin whatsisface used to be decent on Metro as well tbf. I quite like Ando as well if I'm honest, better than Bob Moncur used to be

If i have to listen to the radio Justin Lockwood is awesome to hear....he's totally NUFC biased and its entertaining.

Plus he did the best commentary ever after Cheick Tiote scored against Arsenal.....right up there with that Brazilian commenter who managed to make "Goooaaaallll" last a full 30 seconds

From 1.01....

In my lifetime only this one is better....

Edited by gjohnson

Its neither of those.

Best one I remember is Shearers winning goal in the 4-3 against leicester - when the goal went in the commentry was "and shearer..." then a load of incomprehensibly loud gibberish :lol:

Im sure there was a few more around that time where the commentator just completely loses it due to the excitement and emotion of it all.

On 14/12/2022 at 02:18, Mike said:

Knowledge, passion, humor, an understanding of the moment. Getting that they're there to accentuate the action, not dominate it. Someone who can feather context (tactical or dramatic) to the moment while also conveying the moment itself.

Jon Miller and Joe Morgan tbh. 

On 14/12/2022 at 09:18, Mike said:

Exactly the same goes for a sex partner.

• 3 weeks later...

Gerrard failed miserably at Villa, he had some success with a club in Scotland that will always have success despite where they were when he came in. Surely this should mean he should never be in the running for another PL job unless he has success at a lower level. However, if a PL manager is let go in 2023, will Gerrard stand a chance of getting it? I obviously think he shouldn’t be anywhere near one, and should go down to league one 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm always willing to bring my thinking and knowledge up to speed so can anyone help me with understanding the current first 11 numbering and positioning? For example, a deeper midfielder was always a 4 but now it's a 6. Where can I find a good explanation of what number refers to where these days? 

EDIT: I mean generally in football, not our team specifically.

Edited by Stal
clarity