Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

11 minutes ago, Stal said:

I'm always willing to bring my thinking and knowledge up to speed so can anyone help me with understanding the current first 11 numbering and positioning? For example, a deeper midfielder was always a 4 but now it's a 6. Where can I find a good explanation of what number refers to where these days? 

EDIT: I mean generally in football, not our team specifically.

Old School 1 Goalkeeper

2 Right Back

3 Left Back

4,5,6 Midfield: Right Half Centre Half  Left Half 

7 Right Winger

8 Inside Right

9 Centre Forward

10 Inside left 

11 Left Winger 

23 minutes ago, Choppy Chop Chop said:

Old School 1 Goalkeeper

2 Right Back

3 Left Back

4,5,6 Midfield: Right Half Centre Half  Left Half 

7 Right Winger

8 Inside Right

9 Centre Forward

10 Inside left 

11 Left Winger 

Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

What would happen if PIF, since they can't just pump money into the club, instead bought 10 million Nufc-shirts from the club shop?

That would give us like £750M and PIF could just donate the shirts to people around the world who need clothes 😁

(If PIF aren't allowed to buy them directly I'm sure they could find a company in SA to do it for them 🤷🏻‍♂️

13 hours ago, Peppe said:

What would happen if PIF, since they can't just pump money into the club, instead bought 10 million Nufc-shirts from the club shop?

That would give us like £750M and PIF could just donate the shirts to people around the world who need clothes 😁

(If PIF aren't allowed to buy them directly I'm sure they could find a company in SA to do it for them 🤷🏻‍♂️

What would happen is seven dozen threads would appear on RTG about sportswashing ;) 

14 hours ago, Peppe said:

Often thought this myself, you'd get them purchased internationally too to avoid easy scrutiny, e.g. sell a few million in Saudi, a few million around other countries.

It's basically money laundering, PIF sends a shady business in a shady country £20m, then that shady business buys £15m of Newcastle shirts from 'overseas suppliers', I mean they don't even have to get shipped, who's gonna check if it's somewhere like Somalia? Then for the cost of £20m, we get £15m to 'spend'.

Edited by HawK

30 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Clubs make barely anything from actual shirt sales. Unless Silverstone manages to strike a deal like the one Liverpool has with Nike. 

Watched the Tifo video on that a few days ago.

32 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Clubs make barely anything from actual shirt sales. Unless Silverstone manages to strike a deal like the one Liverpool has with Nike. 

Sure, but it's just an example item. It could be 'membership packs', 'subscriptions', 'virtual turf', I mean it could be anything.

Was looking for that thread where we discuss players and how highly we rate them but couldn’t find it. 

What type of player was Aguero? I know he was an absolute terror inside the box but I could never pin his game down like you could do an Henry or a Drogba. If I’m doing a best PL 11 in my head or something I usually forget him tbh and that’s weird for a player who was prolific for pretty much his entire career. Was he that? A player you got the ball to around the box and let work his magic. I recently discovered that it was Aguero who retrieved the ball on the halfway line and set off the the move that saw him scoring the Championship winning goal so he was probably doing stuff like that but I never noticed for some reason. 

if i’m thinking of a trademark Aguero goal, it’d be the one against Man U where he zipped past a couple players around the six yard box and then lashed home the ball near post with De Gea standing there dumbfounded. 

Of course he’s a Premier League legend and probably the best striker of the last decade but there are far more players I enjoyed watching. 

Edited by Astroblack

• 1 month later...

Yes my wife happily lets me watch football endlessly, and all of my friends' wives are the same. 

Will that do for you mate? Hope all is well. 

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

How much football do you watch on average per week and if it's a lot how do you get away with it?

Serious answer, I sort of choose my battles putting it on the big telly. I don't want her having to watch football all the time. We'll watch all NUFC games together on big telly but happily she pure loves the toon these days, having not really seen much football before we met. 

Other than that maybe a game a week on the big telly, depends on the schedule. And I'll watch a few on a laptop when she's watching something else. And it's on constantly whenever she's out :lol:

5 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Serious answer, I sort of choose my battles putting it on the big telly. I don't want her having to watch football all the time. We'll watch all NUFC games together on big telly but happily she pure loves the toon these days, having not really seen much football before we met. 

Other than that maybe a game a week on the big telly, depends on the schedule. And I'll watch a few on a laptop when she's watching something else. And it's on constantly whenever she's out :lol:

Pretty much the same bar she despises all football and finds me even more annoying than normal when we’re playing these days.

33 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I watch loads like, but it seems like loads of people on here watch much more than me, getting to watch foreign matches mainly, so I was just wondering what your secrets were. 

Being single :thup:

It’s give snd take - she watches a lot of soaps and I either go upstairs and watch something or go out for a couple of pints and watch football there. Might help our kids are all 10+ so pretty much entertain themselves during week and save days out / activities for weekends. 

Games being on at stupid times here, I tend to watch them when she's gone to bed on the weekend, or getting up before the family is up to watch them. Probably the only benefit of the games time really 

6 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Chelsea every time. Horrific club.

Yeah, that's mine. Just loathe how they operate and - other than showcasing lots of on-field talent down the years - I feel like they bring very little good to the league. Their use of money is absolutely hideous.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

If you could just delete one club from the Premier League, who would it be?

Am I erasing them from all existence, creating some form of post 1992 alternate reality/timeline? Because if I'm deleting historical success then it might sway my decision.

Or just having a club go into administration.