Jump to content

Daft questions (football edition)


Decky
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Stumped on the one top right - looks like "Solano", but if the timeframe you've given us is right then he was one of Kenny's last signings.

 

Was this shirt signed all at once, or over a period of time? 

 

Here's my most recent MSPAINT especial:

 

uoSqCY4.jpg

 

Ignore the Georgiadis comment. It's been DEBUNKED.

 

So currently what is left is:

The shitty bird drawing next to Dabizas.

The debunked Robbie Elliott, that I had also theorized could be an awful Des Hamilton autograph.

The Bjarni!??! one. I'll give Barnes a deex now, cos there are very few people left it could be tbh.

The line/squiggle under Keith Gillespie, that could be Stuart Pearce, but also could just be a random leftover line from JDT/Gillespie.

 

I think that's everything.

 

To my knowledge, this was done in one go and given to some company my Uncle worked at (Robson Brown). He then gave it to me. And the timing would be between March & May 1998.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's definitely Pistone's though, yeah. Maybe the Batty/Des Hamilton one could be the wrong way round though I was thinking.

 

But I think that's all the first team options exhausted, all that could be left could be reserves/fringe players: Patrick Kelly, David Terrier, James Coppinger, Jimmy Crawford, Ralk Kiedel, Jamie McClen, Brian Pinas, Paul Brayson. Good luck finding their autographs online though!

 

 

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

That's definitely Pistone's though, yeah. Maybe the Batty/Des Hamilton one could be the wrong way round though I was thinking.

 

But I think that's all the first team options exhausted, all that could be left could be reserves/fringe players: Patrick Kelly, David Terrier, James Coppinger, Jimmy Crawford, Ralk Kiedel, Jamie McClen, Brian Pinas, Paul Brayson.

 

Aye. And if it's any of theirs... I think I might just put this one to bed. :lol:

 

The only other option is Kenny Dalglish. Or Steve Clarke or some mug like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruce and McClaren way down at the bottom in my ranking, either of them could go down as the worst, both for different reasons.

 

 

Benitez and Hughton at the top for me, difficult to separate them for what they did. The fact that most people see these 2 as the best/their favourite manager given they both got us promoted is surely no coincidence.

 

Pardew gets a special mention for what the team he managed actually achieved. How much he was responsible for that is for another discussion.

 

The rest are a much of a muchness and in the grand scheme of things will barely get a mention in the history books (Shearer aside perhaps).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Undoubtedly Bruce and Carver at the bottom based on the fact that they are from Newcastle and to work for Ashley is inexcusable as they knew the harm he was doing to the club and city.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Given Klopp's whinging about having to play us at 12:30, does anyone else fucking despise the early kick off anyway? Not for giving any kind of advantage for opposition in Europe but for more in general?

 

At 12:30 kick off, it creates hassle for away fans (us quite a lot) for getting transport to games at ridiculously early times, hassle for home fans travelling a long way or getting up early into the city. It'd be annoying for pubs as they'll have to open around 11am and they'll have to get staff up and in early to open up and on top of that, the atmospheres are flat as fuck. 

 

I'd much rather the slots for games on TV in the UK were 17:30 Saturdays, 19:45/20:00 Saturdays, 14:00 Sundays, 16:30 Sundays and 19:00 Sundays. Fuck the Mondays and early kick offs off.

 

 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Given Klopp's whinging about having to play us at 12:30, does anyone else fucking despise the early kick off anyway? Not for giving any kind of advantage for opposition in Europe but for more in general?

 

At 12:30 kick off, it creates hassle for away fans (us quite a lot) for getting transport to games at ridiculously early times, hassle for home fans travelling a long way or getting up early into the city. It'd be annoying for pubs as they'll have to open around 11am and they'll have to get staff up and in early to open up and on top of that, the atmospheres are flat as fuck. 

 

I'd much rather the slots for games on TV in the UK were 17:30 Saturdays, 19:45/20:00 Saturdays, 14:00 Sundays, 16:30 Sundays and 19:00 Sundays. Fuck the Mondays and early kick offs off.

 

 

 

 

Atmosphere at every 12:30 kick off I can remember is shite.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was surprised to see Willock wasn’t credited with an assist for Bruno’s second goal yesterday. Any idea why?

 

I know the defender made a hash of blocking it, but it was still his cross after a class run to set it up nicely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I have 2 FFP related questions:

  1. What are implications if we break FFP? eg: If we go buy £500M in players, is the impact a transfer ban and europe ban? If so, who cares? We wont be in Europe in next 2 years, and 1 year ban wont make a dent if we stack the team up front?
  2. Maybe more realistic - but what is the implication of Loan to buy on FFP? If we loan a player for year and then buy him. Could we get more players through the door? 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, arnonel said:

I have 2 FFP related questions:

  1. What are implications if we break FFP? eg: If we go buy £500M in players, is the impact a transfer ban and europe ban? If so, who cares? We wont be in Europe in next 2 years, and 1 year ban wont make a dent if we stack the team up front?
  2. Maybe more realistic - but what is the implication of Loan to buy on FFP? If we loan a player for year and then buy him. Could we get more players through the door? 

1. We could be in Europe 2023/24.

2. A loan is currently just that and the fee for that is treat just like a transfer fee but obviously smaller.

 

 

Edited by madras

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, arnonel said:

I have 2 FFP related questions:

  1. What are implications if we break FFP? eg: If we go buy £500M in players, is the impact a transfer ban and europe ban? If so, who cares? We wont be in Europe in next 2 years, and 1 year ban wont make a dent if we stack the team up front?
  2. Maybe more realistic - but what is the implication of Loan to buy on FFP? If we loan a player for year and then buy him. Could we get more players through the door? 

1. There's two reasons we won't brazenly break the rules. Firstly, there could be punishments handed down by the Premier League as well as UEFA. It's not worth the risk of potentially losing out on qualification either by a points deduction from the PL or punishment from UEFA. Secondly, and I'm just guessing here, I think they want to be seen to be following the rules. We know certain powers within the PL will be watching us like a hawk, likewise UEFA who seem quite heavily influenced by Qatar.

 

2. Loan fee + wages will count towards FFP losses during the loan period, transfer fee will count towards losses from the period in which the transfer is confirmed (then amortised over the length of the player contract). It could be a way of bringing players in now then paying the transfer fee once we have an extra seasons-worth of sponsors setup. So if our commercial revenue is £10m this season, but we increase that to £50m in the next accounting period, that extra £40m could be someone like Dean Henderson (purely using him as an example because he's been talked about in the press) = the loan next season will have fairly minimal impact on FFP, then the transfer fee the following season is easily covered by additional revenue through sponsorship.

 

So, to answer your question, yes it could be a way to get more players through the door now without impacting our FFP position until later seasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Is there a standard xG model? Or is it one of those things where whatever outfit is doing it has their own variation, such that xG will differ depending on where you're looking (sort of like WAR in baseball)? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's more than just StatsBomb recording xG then it will likely be different for each company, as they'll be tweaking it to improve accuracy at the very least.

 

Decent little look into it here anyway.

 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.reddit.com/r/FantasyPL/comments/c1qkgt/i_attended_a_statsbomb_course_about_football/&ved=2ahUKEwibtefAoq35AhWbgVwKHYHFC6QQjjh6BAgVEAE&usg=AOvVaw0WoNQH8JQWK1jOtAu15JrO

 

 

 

 

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Link to post
Share on other sites

One for the older fans,

 

Which season did you enjoy the most or prefer looking back, 1992-93 or 1993-94?

 

I listened to Marc Corby and George Caulkin talk about the former and how similar it is to now but personally from the season reviews and stuff that I've watched a similar ride to the latter is all I ever want to experience really besides winning a trophy.

 

 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

One for the older fans,

 

Which season did you enjoy the most or prefer looking back, 1992-93 or 1993-94?

 

I listened to Marc Corby and George Caulkin talk about the former and how similar it is to now but personally from the season reviews and stuff that I've watched a similar ride to the latter is all I ever want to experience really besides winning a trophy.

 

 

 

92-93 for me! Both were class like!

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/1ea984df-b9a5-4dce-aef3-b926439d2b28

 

I'd say 93/94 because there was still a 'pinch me, I must be dreaming' feeling even though 92/93 raised expectations and the growth showed no signs of abating

Plus 92/93 we were pretty much promoted by October it felt like, whereas 93/94 just got better and better passing your expectations all the time.

Establishing ourselves August, holding our own September, top half challenge (October), top half (November), challenging for Europe (March) and Europe in the penultimate game (April)

On the other hand there seemed a slightly less frenetic style of passing in 93/94 (Liverpool h, Oldham a) as opposed to rapier stuff in my minds eye that the ground swooned over (Luton h, Bristol City)

 

Personally got to loads more away games 93/94 which may prejudice this.

 

 

Edited by Wolfcastle

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

For me it was because it was my first full season following the club and it brings back so many happy memories. It started my love affair with the club, the game and an almost obsessive obsession.

Typical 1992er marra

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

One for the older fans,

 

Which season did you enjoy the most or prefer looking back, 1992-93 or 1993-94?

 

I listened to Marc Corby and George Caulkin talk about the former and how similar it is to now but personally from the season reviews and stuff that I've watched a similar ride to the latter is all I ever want to experience really besides winning a trophy.

 

 

 

 

I was a kid at the time, but 93-94 definitely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, buzza said:

Yep, think it was 93/94 with andy cole at his best and beardsley as his supporting act.

just were great to watch and were so gung-ho it was just an adrenalin rush watching them!

Me too. We just took our game to the fearsome Premiership! Nice blend of experience and youth. Local players making the step-up well and a higher finish than anybody (pretty much)  would have predicted. Beardsley coming back and having an exceptional season (aged 32?). Our third place finish, still never bettered by a promoted side. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, buzza said:

Yep, think it was 93/94 with andy cole at his best and beardsley as his supporting act.

just were great to watch and were so gung-ho it was just an adrenalin rush watching them!

That Peter Beardsley with, I think 18 goals and 8 assists from 34 appearances (after Neil Ruddick broke his cheek bone with one of the most disgusting elbows in a pre season game), would solve all our current offensive play dilemmas. The way he dictated our forward play, was brilliant at high press, played right across the front and between attack and mid field, and was a football genious. He would enable Wilson to get 20 goals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...