Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Boro away as a kid, and the Peter Beardsley testimonial I definitely know about. 

But he definitely did do it? Just didn't want to think I was going mad.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Who would you say was the outright 3rd best player in the Messi and Ronaldo era?

For me it's between Suarez and Iniesta. Personally prefer both of them over Ronaldo tbh, much more my type of players.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Got to see Barcelona a good few years ago, one of the few times Messi was injured.  Iniesta the best player I've seen in the flesh.  Not just skill and vision but the amount of shit horrible niggly tackles he took off the opposition and just got on with.  Phenomenal.

Anyone got a link to that video after the takeover that starts with Nina Simone 'Feelin good' and then cuts into all our goals and stuff saving us from relegation?

There were loads of mint videos after the takeover but I can't seem to find any of them now.

On 18/10/2023 at 09:18, Stal said:

Memory fog again. Did I just imagine it or did Steve Watson do like a somersault throw in at one time?

A couple of times and KK told him to pack it in. 

He said look at Paul bracewell, look at Peter Beardsley, look at Barry venison, they don't do that. He didn't do it again 

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

What do you think is the most difficult position to play?

Centre forward.  You have to play with your back both to and away from goal; you’re the player the opposition defence will watch and foul more than any other; you need to create space for yourself rather than finding it as a result of your position; you play the game on a few moments and have to make instant choices and decisions; you’re responsible more than anyone else for the hardest and most important function in football - scoring goals, which ramps up pressure, and gives an easy tool to determine whether you’re any good in your position or not more than any other position (well, alongside GK on this one). 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Aye center forward for me. Have to chase lost causes, pretty much your entire game is based on if you scored or not. The few times you do get the ball, you’re swarmed by at least two players. You get dog’s abuse playing up front… from your own teammates. “You didn’t make the run” “how did you not control that/score/see me?” 

Most fun position to play for me is right back. Gather ball off the goalkeeper, ping a 70 yard diag and look around as if you’re the shit. Can shout all you want, too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone recommend a football scores and lineups app? 

PL app is frite and I like OneFootball but it’s a subscription to remove the ads. 

Is there a good one that’s a one-time payment to go ad-free? Or free obviously. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

PL app is frite and I like OneFootball but it’s a subscription to remove the ads. 

I use Flashcore. Their ads have never bothered me and they've been the only one I check after they added xG.

Edited by Pata

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Fotmob. 

Thanks all. 

All look good, leaning towards Fotmob for simplicity but I’ll give them a few days. 

Don’t want to play fantasy anymore so I’ll get rid of the official PL app. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Livescore app for me

And me. Betting sites tend to be the quickest at getting scores up but don't do line ups etc (at least the ones I use dont).

For me it was and always will be centre-mid. Ball can come at you from anywhere, you've got to be able to use both feet well to be effective, you need to be great on the ball and off it, you need incredible stamina.

I played every position except anywhere on the right to a reasonable level. CM is the only one I really struggled with.

On 18/02/2024 at 00:03, Kid Icarus said:

What do you think is the most difficult position to play?

Goalkeeper.

You have to be part rugby player, basketball player, ballerina and wrestler as well as a footballer. In a pinch you can play a LB at CF as they're both outfield players but it's very rare that an outfield player can successfully go in goal, Kevin Brock's concussion induced heroics notwithstanding. 

Fullback is very hard but I guess anything can be learned. The ball can come inside and outside of you, over your head. You're now expected to attack as well, the stamina is extreme. 

Hard to say, all good points about GK. 

I think as an amateur striker is also very difficult because your team will probably not be able to play with decent possession and you'll spend your time feeding off scraps and chasing lost causes. At least when I was younger, maybe people are technically better now. 

I think CB is the easiest.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo