Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

5 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

Am I erasing them from all existence, creating some form of post 1992 alternate reality/timeline? Because if I'm deleting historical success then it might sway my decision.

Or just having a club go into administration.

The latter, I suppose 

Chelsea, I always feel like their take over was when money started getting thrown around stupidly, and changed the scope of the game. and while we are the latest beneficiaries of it, I detest everything that chelsea stands for, they feel like a hollow club, and if they disappeared the league would not be worse off for it. They're just Millwall with money.

Palace for me. Boring, shitty club with really wild board decisions. I really have to stop being nostalgic because I always wanted the likes of Palace, Forrest and Leeds to come back to the Prem but they don't have the same allure as they did in the past. Now I'm missing Bolton Birmingham and Wigan. God knows what the fuck is wrong with me. 

Palace and Southampton add absolutely nowt to the league and never will do but at least on the same level Fulham know they don’t but just crack on. So one of them two.

Southampton run Reading close as being the nowt-est team about but then you’ve got your vanity Gretna esque projects like Harrogate and Forest Green these days as well. 

Fill yer boots if you can bear with the Chronicle website. https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ideal-premier-league-pick-20-16043263

Here's mine. Struggled tbh.

Screenshot_20230404_010640.thumb.jpg.44bfc79fddcf33c63c3a615001185e52.jpg

Have the exact same thoughts about Southampton as Disco above does but recency bias and time in the Prem put them ahead of Portsmouth and Brighton for that south coast spot. Resent putting Sheff Wed in given their weird concrete shagging fans but they probably are the more "PL" club out of the Sheffield two given history and shit.

Would love Blackburn back. Love the badge and kit, Breraton, Gallagher and Dack deserve a crack at the big time. Former champs, League Cup in 02. Duff back then was a terror. Miss 'em tbh. Never went there but Ewood looked a nice place on TV. Really wanted Yakubu to hit 100 PL goals but it wasn't to be. 

image.thumb.png.323bd65078c91975d226b2efd4c30f82.png

Only tricky one was Portsmouth over Sheff Utd - decided two Sheff clubs too much, and you'd want a South coast club.  But not Southampton, who've offered fuck all of interest for pretty much the entirety of English footballing history.  And yes, the mackems go in there - but this does not mean I want to see them in there.

I'm surprised at the number of absolute nothing London clubs (Palace, Fulham, QPR) selected on here - four London clubs is enough, and those three have won 1 League Cup between them in their entire histories.  Interestingly, all three clubs also average around 25% of their league history in the top division - three seasons out of four you'd find them floundering in the lower leagues.  I'd be picking the smoggies ahead of any of them - they've won the same number of trophies as those three combined (1) and have spent almost as many years in the top division as those three combined(!).

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

image.thumb.png.323bd65078c91975d226b2efd4c30f82.png

Only tricky one was Portsmouth over Sheff Utd - decided two Sheff clubs too much, and you'd want a South coast club.  But not Southampton, who've offered fuck all of interest for pretty much the entirety of English footballing history.  And yes, the mackems go in there - but this does not mean I want to see them in there.

I'm surprised at the number of absolute nothing London clubs (Palace, Fulham, QPR) selected on here - four London clubs is enough, and those three have won 1 League Cup between them in their entire histories.  Interestingly, all three clubs also average around 25% of their league history in the top division - three seasons out of four you'd find them floundering in the lower leagues.  I'd be picking the smoggies ahead of any of them - they've won the same number of trophies as those three combined (1) and have spent almost as many years in the top division as those three combined(!).

You're right actually, I regret Palace now. Swap them with Ipswich. 

11 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

How much football do you watch on average per week and if it's a lot how do you get away with it?

Beinsports has pretty much 24 hour coverage of all the major leagues (with recap shows as well). When I’m working late from home it’s usually always in the background.

12 hours ago, Interpolic said:

Serious answer, I sort of choose my battles putting it on the big telly. I don't want her having to watch football all the time. We'll watch all NUFC games together on big telly but happily she pure loves the toon these days, having not really seen much football before we met. 

Other than that maybe a game a week on the big telly, depends on the schedule. And I'll watch a few on a laptop when she's watching something else. And it's on constantly whenever she's out :lol:

Same, when were together and they're on. Will enthusiastically watch Newcastle on TV and quite often suggests going out to watch it, i'm grateful, especially these days. 

Tried to push my luck and get her watching the darts the other day but she was having none of it.

Yeah, similar here, and feel very fortunate tbh. She sees the joy it brings me after two years of abject misery and actively encourages me to stick it on, and she can name most of the players now; enjoys reading their Wikis and what-have-you when the game's on. I didn't mention a particular game being on tele a couple weeks back (think it was Forest) cos we were gonna go out for tea or something; she noticed herself and insisted we change plans. :lol: Not sure what I've done to deserve her really, she's a bit of a belter. 

10 hours ago, Yorkie said:

If you could just delete one club from the Premier League, who would it be?

Such a good question! I would have said man u, especially during the fergie years, but they're pretty harmless now. Since being reminded that chelsea exist then yeah, I'm all for them as my choice. Heard them being described as "just milwall, but they can afford their own kits".

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

93/94?  Happy times for us; but the standard of the league generally was dire at that time

That's fine with me :lol: I mostly just want a time machine :(