Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Guest HTT II

Mellberg was superb for Villa, and decent for Juventus, one that got away.

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

A lot of great signings though.

Most of them were squad fillers having reentered the reserve leagues which was abandoned under KK.

Just now, Dr.Spaceman said:

A lot of great signings though.

Given, Griffin, Speed, Dabizas, Hamann and Solano the pick of the bunch.

JDT obviously had quality but flopped.

Ketsbaia and Glass decent.

Rest garbage.

Mellberg would have been excellent. As would Saha had Gullitt kept him on.

Guest HTT II
24 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Slightly related, but am I right we came close to signing Boban and/or Seedorf under Gullit?

It was like the KK days when we appointed Gullit, we were linked with everyone, most were made up nonsense.

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Most of them were squad fillers having reentered the reserve leagues which was abandoned under KK.

Aye. Remember seeing the likes of Pinas, Coppinger, Gudjonnsen, Brady, etc playing pretty regularly at Gateshead Stadium against the likes of Scarborough Reserves because we could only re-enter in the 4th tier of the reserve league system. Set us back a few years the decision to get rid of the reserves as the likes of Guppy & Huckerby weren’t willing to hang around with no football at all. They’d have walked into our side either side of the millennium between Dalglish and the 01/02 season.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Guest HTT II
25 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye. Remember seeing the likes of Pinas, Coppinger, Gudjonnsen, Brady, etc playing pretty regularly at Gateshead Stadium against the likes of Scarborough Reserves because we could only re-enter in the 4th tier of the reserve league system. Set us back a few years the decision to get rid of the reserves as the likes of Guppy & Huckerby weren’t willing to hang around with no football at all. They’d have walked into our side either side of the millennium between Dalglish and the 01/02 season.

Kitson as well who I always rated, he did well for WHU

How would you rank all the managers of the Ashley era from best to worst.

Benitez

Hughton

Keegan

Allardyce

Pardew

Shearer

McClaren

Bruce

Kinnear

Carver

Its mental that I probably hate Pardew the most out of all of them, although its 50/50 with Bruce, yet hes still in the top half of the shit show of managers we had in that era :lol: 

Benitez (obvious)

Hughton (similar results to Benitez before harsh sacking)

Keegan (hands tied)

Pardew (purely for 5th & didn't relegate us)

Allardyce (we'd have finished mid-table under him IMO)

Kinnear (we'd have stayed up if he didn't get sick IMO)

Shearer (shit, but on a hiding to nothing)

Bruce (spent loads, never relegated us)

Carver (abject but kept us up... just)

McClaren (full pre-season, spent loads, relegated us. Worst)

FYI I've rated this on their results with the club versus the spend/situation they had here. Shearer's results were wank but he inherited a doomed squad for about six weeks and that's factored in.

Edited by Pilko

10 minutes ago, 54 said:

How would you rank all the managers of the Ashley era from best to worst.

Benitez

Hughton

Keegan

Allardyce

Pardew

Shearer

McClaren

Bruce

Kinnear

Carver

Its mental that I probably hate Pardew the most out of all of them, although its 50/50 with Bruce, yet hes still in the top half of the shit show of managers we had in that era :lol: 

In terms of managerial ability, how likable or overall impact on the club? 

Edited by The Prophet

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

In terms of managerial ability, how likable or overall impact on the club? 

How ever you want to view them to be honest.

Hughton - pre-the death of hope. Did an amazing job to rally the squad and have us promoted at the first time of asking. Also had some amazing results including 6-0 v Villa and 5-1 Sunderland.

Keegan - pre-the death of hope. His limited time here showed plenty of promise, but he wasn't really around long enough to have an impact.

Benitez - he did a great job, but he was only ever going to be able to take us so far on a shoe string budget, plus his days always felt numbered.

Allardyce - not really given an opportunity, but he was probably taking us down.

Shearer - his heart was in the right place taking us on, but he really was woeful.

Kinnear - he wasn't as terminally shit as I was expecting, but he was just a thorough embarrassment of a bloke.

McClaren - just a nothing manager, should have been sacked long before he was and his spell ultimately cost us our top flight status. I'd have potentially ranked him lower, but I was firmly tuned out during his time.

Bruce - just a really unlikeable bloke and a shit manager to boot. The biggest compliment I can give him is that he somehow didn't take us down.

Carver - another unbearable cunt, but with even less managerial ability.

Pardew - on the pitch, it wasn't all bad. Mr Carr takes a lot of credit for that mind. Other than 5th, we had a near miss with relegation  and a midtable finish. Ultimately he's the worst because his reign changed my relationship with Newcastle United (for the worst). He was the cheerleader for big Mike establishing us as an ambitiousless Sports Direct advertising vessel. I started my boycott during after the 0-6 defeat to Liverpool and never looked back.

Edited by The Prophet

Guest HTT II

Benitez Not shit

Hughton Not shit

Keegan Not shit

Allardyce Shit

Pardew Shit

Shearer Shit

McClaren Shit

Bruce Shit

Kinnear Shit

Carver Shit

As has been said, there's three good ones, various shades of shite, then Bruce and Pardew. Separating those two at the bottom is really hard but I was most 'out' during the Bruce days. He wasn't solely responsible for that but his presence ensured I was never coming back in. 

42 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Hughton - pre-the death of hope. Did an amazing job to rally the squad and have us promoted at the first time of asking. Also had some amazing results including 6-0 v Villa and 5-1 Sunderland.

Keegan - pre-the death of hope. His limited time here showed plenty of promise, but he wasn't really around long enough to have an impact.

Benitez - he did a great job, but he was only ever going to be able to take us so far on a shoe string budget, plus his days always felt numbered.

Allardyce - not really given an opportunity, but he was probably taking us down.

Shearer - his heart was in the right place taking us on, but he really was woeful.

Kinnear - he wasn't as terminally shit as I was expecting, but he was just a thorough embarrassment of a bloke.

McClaren - just a nothing manager, should have been sacked long before he was and his spell ultimately cost us our top flight status. I'd have potentially ranked him lower, but I was firmly tuned out during his time.

Bruce - just a really unlikeable bloke and a shit manager to boot. The biggest compliment I can give him is that he somehow didn't take us down.

Carver - another unbearable cunt, but with even less managerial ability.

Pardew - on the pitch, it wasn't all bad. Mr Carr takes a lot of credit for that mind. Other than 5th, we had a near miss with relegation  and a midtable finish. Ultimately he's the worst because his reign changed my relationship with Newcastle United (for the worst). He was the cheerleader for big Mike establishing us as an ambitiousless Sports Direct advertising vessel. I started my boycott during after the 0-6 defeat to Liverpool and never looked back.

Mostly agree with this, would switch Benitez and Hughton around potentially but there’s not much between the top three. It absolutely bombs after that but I’d probably put Bruce and Pardew bottom two, Pardew at the bottom like yours. Feel like Allardyce doesn’t deserve fourth but who could displace him 

26 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Mostly agree with this, would switch Benitez and Hughton around potentially but there’s not much between the top three. It absolutely bombs after that but I’d probably put Bruce and Pardew bottom two, Pardew at the bottom like yours. Feel like Allardyce doesn’t deserve fourth but who could displace him 

Yeah, nothing between everyone from Allardyce to McClaren, you could put them in any order really.