Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

• 1 month later...

Gentle(wo)men,

I have had this signed NUFC shirt for over 20 years and only just mustered the effort to put it in a frame (albeit a cheapy Chinese Amazon affair). ($500+ quote to get a framing company to do it!!).

Anyway, I figured I'd print something off that lists all the autographs / the year of the shirt, and stash it inside. Or maybe make it look fancy and slap it on the front/underneath.

One minor caveat: I'm not sure I recognise anyone's autographs other than Shearer and "STEVE HOWEY"*, so here's where you come in... I rotated it on it's side to make it easier to reference. Hoping that someone / many folk can help. 

So far:

Line 1: ??
Line 2: ??
Line 3: Shearer, ??, Ketsbaia?
Line 4: ??, ??, Shay Given, Phillipe Albert?
Line 5: STEVE HOWEY
Line 6: Gary Speed, Rob Lee

Many Thanks,
SEMTEX

*started googling some players and worked a few more out, then got very stuck. Not convinced they're all (or any of them :lol: ) are actual signatures

signal-2022-04-12-213432_001.jpeg

Edited by SEMTEX

13 minutes ago, arnonel said:

I have a daft question:

When a game kicks off, it normally results in hoofing the ball upfield. Why is this done? 99% of all teams do this

I have often wondered this as it used to really piss me off that we did it all the time under Bruce.

Apparently the aim is to get the ball to a non threatening position for the side kicking off, preferably a throw in, so that they can adopt their tactical positions based on the ball being in that particular area of the pitch.

The thought/worry being that if the side kicking off immediately go on the attack from the kick off, losing the ball in the middle of the pitch would result in the opposition being able to quickly counter from a strong position.  

3 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Do you know which season it's from exactly? May help narrow it down somewhat given we signed a boatload of players under Gullit and Dalglish whilst we played in this top.

I do not. Was trying to identify a Gullit/Dalglish autograph to assist... but failed.

1 hour ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Doesn't help now, but when I'm at me ma's at the weekend I'll dig out an autograph book full of signatures from that era. Will go through and should be able to match quite a few of those up.

That'd be bangin. It's obviously not the end of the world if I can't get a few, given the names identified so far are mostly that of our better players. Will gather together everyone's input momentarily...

Also I can photograph in more detail if that'd be helpful. But for the most part I think some of them are just shitty autographs given it was probably annoying to sign this thing.

Thank you!

Currently MS Painting these names over the top and will post it again. But I'm still fairly convinced the bottom one next to Rob Lee is Gary Speed (upside down), not Georgiadis. Robbie Elliott and Georgiadis didn't play for us at the same time also fwiw.

speed_or_gorgdiasisaisUntitled.png.f48216f0f4a695cde9c4c5e9be0b5716.png

speed_autograph.jpg