Mehdi Abeid joins Panathinaikos

Colocho

Guest Thump 1892

Bet the poor c*** wishes he never moved, a whole load of rank lads adding him on Disgracebook - totally the opposite of what it's supposed to be used for.

He's more than happy for it, though.  Like I said earlier, he added me and is more than happy to talk to me.  Though at one point he did say he couldn't talk for much longer because he was getting hammered by messages.

Adding him is fine lads but don't harass the fella!

Guest icemanblue

Bet the poor cunt wishes he never moved, a whole load of rank lads adding him on Disgracebook - totally the opposite of what it's supposed to be used for.

A million times this.

Abeid on the transfer:

"I can confirm I have agreed a deal with Newcastle. I would not disclose the contract period as this is between the club and myself. I visited the facilities last week and had a trial in the reserve team."

"The bosses at Newcastle told me about their project and said they wanted me for next season. For my part, I intend to give everything to evolve in the Premier League. It is a strong league and I opted for it despite other options in France."

Abeid on why he decided to move on:

"The management at Lens no longer wanted me, so I expressed my desire to move on. I spent eight seasons at the club and it was great wearing the shirt but lately my progress stagnated. It is with regret that I leave this club but I have had some good opportunities. I retain a lot of positives from my time here but I think I will always regret never having graced Stade Felix Bollaert. It was a dream for me but I soon realised it would not be possible."

Abeid on moving to a new league and surroundings:

"I'm not afraid to leave. I speak English and over there, some French players will welcome me back to training in July. I have already discussed the club with Hatem Ben Arfen and Cheik Tioté. They encouraged me and welcomed me. Now I will work hard and prove that I can play in this league."

Abeid on facing the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal:

"I hope to be given the opportunity but must begin well in my first steps. I see no reason why I cannot do well. It would be nice to follow the examples of Adel Taarabt and Gael Kakuta who have done well at Queen's Park Rangers and Fulham. I am very happy to cross the channel, but before leaving, I want to thank everyone at RC Lens."

Source: Lensois.com

Abeid is an attacking midfielder comfortable on the left side of midfield or through the middle. In the past, he has also played as a 2nd striker. Derek McKinlay, a writer on French football has described him as "pacy and full of trickery but untried and untested at the top level, he's one for the future."

Anyone interested in why lens havnt kept hold of him if he really is one for the future? Regardless welcome to Newcastle and good luck.

Apparently, he wanted to leave.

Just before that he said the management at lens did not want him, just wondering why [/doommongeringsceptic]

Guest johnson293

Just seen this on Sky Sports about the lad, confirming his signing...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6951664,00.html

The 18-year-old has agreed a five-year contract at St James' Park after being impressed by the North East club.

Everton, Atletico Madrid, Rennes and Le Mans were also keen on the holding midfielder - but he will now be moving to Tyneside this summer.

"After eight fantastic years at Lens, I have stagnated. I needed a change of air. I am not afraid to leave for abroad," he told L'Equipe.

??? How long has he played for the first team, if he feels he's stagnated there at 18 years old??

Just seen this on Sky Sports about the lad, confirming his signing...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6951664,00.html

The 18-year-old has agreed a five-year contract at St James' Park after being impressed by the North East club.

Everton, Atletico Madrid, Rennes and Le Mans were also keen on the holding midfielder - but he will now be moving to Tyneside this summer.

"After eight fantastic years at Lens, I have stagnated. I needed a change of air. I am not afraid to leave for abroad," he told L'Equipe.

??? How long has he played for the first team, if he feels he's stagnated there at 18 years old??

Stagnated - he feels his development as a footballer has stopped. A fresh start in a new environment could help him back on track.

Guest Stephen927

He is too light weighted to play holding midfield.

Yes, Makelele's weight often held him back from being the best in his position for 8 years.

Guest Thump 1892

His Facebook seems to be slowing down now.  Only 100 friends in the past day!

Can't help but feel for the lad like... especially if he has push notifications on his phone :o

He is too light weighted to play holding midfield.

He's not a holding midfielder, he said he was an attacking midfielder. I take his word over Sky Sports' any day. :lol:

Said to me he was more centre mid.

His Facebook seems to be slowing down now.  Only 100 friends in the past day!

Can't help but feel for the lad like... especially if he has push notifications on his phone :o

im one of those waiting for the first wave of friend requests to finish and let him get a quick breath, then ill make my move :)

Guest Stephen927

People look too much into height and weight these days, if they're good enough then they can play most positions.