Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/2006-2011.html

Look at that. 2006-2011 spending. Now take into account the fact Stoke weren't even in the league for 2 of those 5 seasons and add on the £22 million or so they've invested again this season. It makes them just about the highest spenders outside of City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Manure. That's f***ing astronomical investment, for what, 15th place last season?

Granted a team that comes up from years in the CCC will have a CCC squad and will need to spend to improve more than other established sides, but come on. I don't understand why this doesn't get highlighted more.

I can understand that in the first few seasons Stoke would spend their way to secure top flights. But now that they are stabilised, they should start looking at younger players. Jonathan Woodgates and Matthew Upson as free signings are decent. Signing Peter Crouch at long term contract with 10M transfer fee is madness.

Maybe this is their last consolidation season that would secure them medium term top flight status.

Guest Rainforest

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/2006-2011.html

Look at that. 2006-2011 spending. Now take into account the fact Stoke weren't even in the league for 2 of those 5 seasons and add on the £22 million or so they've invested again this season. It makes them just about the highest spenders outside of City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Manure. That's f***ing astronomical investment, for what, 15th place last season?

Granted a team that comes up from years in the CCC will have a CCC squad and will need to spend to improve more than other established sides, but come on. I don't understand why this doesn't get highlighted more.

I can understand that in the first few seasons Stoke would spend their way to secure top flights. But now that they are stabilised, they should start looking at younger players. Jonathan Woodgates and Matthew Upson as free signings are decent. Signing Peter Crouch at long term contract with 10M transfer fee is madness.

Maybe this is their last consolidation season that would secure them medium term top flight status

Harsh, jury still out on that one surely? He hasnt even kicked a ball for them yet.

If he bags 15 goals this season?

I think he needs to consistently score >10 goals per season throughout his contract / tenure to justify his transfer fee, and presumably, his presumably not cheap wage. Bearing in mind his recent year records, I seriously doubt he could achieve that.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/world_of_sport__11/world_of_sport-19992797-1314871896.jpg?ymY5OlFDqfb1rx..

Winning.

The drop off between the top five and everyone else is staggering.  Money is truly ruining the sport.

It is net, but still. Note that the next seven *cough* are bankrolled by a wealthy owner too. Take you guys out, and pretty much all of them will be run at a loss this year. Man U just posted profits of over 100M.

I don't get why Wigan wanted him myself, they've got Figueroa, is he getting replaced or just backed up?

Contrary to belief at SJP clubs are allowed to have more than one LB.

Well, yes, and it's all well and good for Wigan for have depth in that position, I just imaged that a) Wigan could've strengthened elsewhere, or with someone more versatile, and b) that Chelsea (and PvA) would want him starting games.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/world_of_sport__11/world_of_sport-19992797-1314871896.jpg?ymY5OlFDqfb1rx..

Winning.

The drop off between the top five and everyone else is staggering.  Money is truly ruining the sport.

It is net, but still. Note that the next seven *cough* are bankrolled by a wealthy owner too. Take you guys out, and pretty much all of them will be run at a loss this year. Man U just posted profits of over 100M.

Those figures for the window just closed can't be net, Arsenal didn't spend £56m after having sold Fabregas and Nasri, Spurs sold Crouch and Wilson amongst others but only bought Parker and Coulibaley.

I worry for Everton (sorry Neil :( )

Can't see Jagielka & Baines hanging around much longer now either.

Genuine question to Neil:

Many felt that NUFC's relegation helped re-generate the club in some ways. Do you fear relegation? or do you think, should it happen, it may help the club get sold to someone who'll turn it around? On paper, the squad is too good to go down, but how much longer can you go on plodding along, stretching your resources to the limit?

Talk of Mourinho becoming PSG manager from next season.

That would be madness! Can't see him taking it tbh. He loves the limelight.

It's perfect for him. Shitloads of money to throw at it, he'd fancy himself to upset the English, Italian & Spanish clubs.

The timing is just about right too for Mourinho (judging from his track record of changing clubs every 2/3 seasons or so).

Guest Rainforest

Many felt that NUFC's relegation helped re-generate the club in some ways. Do you fear relegation? or do you think, should it happen, it may help the club get sold to someone who'll turn it around? On paper, the squad is too good to go down, but how much longer can you go on plodding along, stretching your resources to the limit?

Wont ever happen, way too solid. Way more solid than us when i come to think about it, easily in half an echelon over.

Us on the other hand..

Wont ever happen, way too solid. Way more solid than us when i come to think about it, easily in half an echelon over.

Us on the other hand..

Aye I know, but sometimes it doesn't matter what players you have. If bad feelings and negativity start to fester at a club, key results can go against you, and before you know it you find yourself in the shit. Just wondering what Neil's thoughts are (and those of the general Everton public).

Us on the other hand..

Looking about both XIs, I'm not sure where they're stronger than us except at left-back and one of the centre-backs?

Howard is better than Krul, P.Nev is better than Simpson, a fit Saha is would start for us. Coleman possibly too.

I'd be flabbergasted if Everton struggled this season unless they sold more key players in Jan.