Barcelona win Champions League Final 10/11

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barcelona do have some dodgy moments during games regarding diving and play acting, but then again, can we name any other team that doesn't do the same?

Not saying it belongs in football, but taking advantage of other teams "rough" players is part of the games.

And sometimes i really understand some of these divers, it's either diving or letting a player snap your leg of almost.

Sorry, Barcelona is the only team I've had ever seen that INTENTIONALLY cause opponents to be sent off. I mean,  it is not diving, it's just pretend to be elbowed, tackled, etc, and then surrounding the referee in order to force him to give a red card.

Thiago Motta is hardly a rough player right?

The final is definitely not controversal. They are clear and deserve winners.  But other than that, sorry, they are not a team that I can respect.

Sorry, Barcelona is the only team I've had ever seen that INTENTIONALLY cause opponents to be sent off. I mean,  it is not diving, it's just pretend to be elbowed, tackled, etc, and then surrounding the referee in order to force him to give a red card.

Guess you did not see Dennis Bergkamp take a quick free & then aim the ball  at Robert so he got a 2nd yellow card for not retreating.

As Bergkamp walked off when replaced by Francis Jeffers, Robson stared at him the whole way, shaking his head. Once Bergkamp had taken his place in the dugout, Robson's head kept on shaking.

Bergkamp, booed constantly after the incident, was nonplussed by the furore. "It's not my fault, it's up to the referee," he said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2003/feb/10/newsstory.sport2

I accept you to do a Simeone, if the opponent DID try to hurt you or do some unsporting behaviour. 

But to create something out of nothing is just go over the top. You can't say they are doing it "for prevention" right?

I accept you to do a Simeone, if the opponent DID try to hurt you or do some unsporting behaviour. 

But to create something out of nothing is just go over the top. You can't say they are doing it "for prevention" right?

it was clearly something they went overboard on during that war of attrition with Mourinho, wouldn't expect to ever see it again myself unless he starts up again and the whole carry on is repeated

not saying it's right either mind

Guest Chubby Jason

The Simeone dive was as pathetic as I've seen.

RE. Berbatov, I don't believe Fergie. It was said on SkySports during the game that Berbatov wasn't even with the team behind the dugout so it screams that something else was going on. Berbatov has come out and said he'll at least be seeing out his contract but I'm not so sure. I think Owen is on his way too and major strengthening will be happening this summer and a striker will be bought.

If it was a tactical decision, well, Berbatov hasn't scored in 1134 minutes of CL football, but still, it's a hugely surprising omission.

Madrid were equally disgraceful. They bring the worst out in Barca. I know barca got a lot of deserved s*** for that but it's completely overblown. Froggy said that they dive and cheat when they lose... Er, no they dont. When they lost to man utd in '08 they lost fairly. When they were on the verge of losing to Chelsea they were losing fairly, only the ref had a complete meltdown. They lost to inter last year after having a goal ruled out and having an offside goal scored against them. And that was with inter wasting time from the fifth minute of the match. It is mourinho that is the common denominator. It is him who goes to extreme lengths to win, and he drags everyone else down to his level. His Chelsea side, as good as they were, was never a clean football team and their football, as effective as it was, was ugly as hell. Barca have pretty much always played it fairly. When they lost to arsenal this year they lost fairly. If you think this barca team cheat and dive to win then it's a shame that you think four matches against a mourinho team is indicative of their general style of play. I'm not saying they don't have divers; every team has divers. I'm saying they're not worse than anyone else so to form an entrenched opinion over something like this is pretty ridiculous.

:lol: How in the wold you blame Mourinho (or Madrid) when Dani Alves held his shin (as if it was broken in two) when there was no contact from Pepe or when Busquet held his face when the contact was on his shoulder I will never understand. Leap of logic if there ever was one. Sure Mourinho's plays aggressive football against Barcelona and that may contribute to ugly football. You can even argue that the aggressive tactics result in a few diving here and there (for both sides). But there is absolutely no connection between the tactics employed by Mourinho and what Barcelona did on that shameful night i.e. play acting, feigning injury and crowding the referee to get a player sent off.

Now I agree that Barcelona can play beautiful clean football (and perhaps they do most of the times) which only begs the question why Barcelona chose to do what they did against Madrid. Could it be because they were finding it difficult to play their usual game and penetrate Madrid's defence when it was 11 vs 11? I don't know. But to blame Mourinho (Madrid) for Barcelona's play acting is ridiculous.

Madrid were equally disgraceful. They bring the worst out in Barca. I know barca got a lot of deserved s*** for that but it's completely overblown. Froggy said that they dive and cheat when they lose... Er, no they dont. When they lost to man utd in '08 they lost fairly. When they were on the verge of losing to Chelsea they were losing fairly, only the ref had a complete meltdown. They lost to inter last year after having a goal ruled out and having an offside goal scored against them. And that was with inter wasting time from the fifth minute of the match. It is mourinho that is the common denominator. It is him who goes to extreme lengths to win, and he drags everyone else down to his level. His Chelsea side, as good as they were, was never a clean football team and their football, as effective as it was, was ugly as hell. Barca have pretty much always played it fairly. When they lost to arsenal this year they lost fairly. If you think this barca team cheat and dive to win then it's a shame that you think four matches against a mourinho team is indicative of their general style of play. I'm not saying they don't have divers; every team has divers. I'm saying they're not worse than anyone else so to form an entrenched opinion over something like this is pretty ridiculous.

:lol: How in the wold you blame Mourinho (or Madrid) when Dani Alves held his shin (as if it was broken in two) when there was no contact from Pepe or when Busquet held his face when the contact was on his shoulder I will never understand. Leap of logic if there ever was one. Sure Mourinho's plays aggressive football against Barcelona and that may contribute to ugly football. You can even argue that the aggressive tactics result in a few diving here and there (for both sides). But there is absolutely no connection between the tactics employed by Mourinho and what Barcelona did on that shameful night i.e. play acting, feigning injury and crowding the referee to get a player sent off.

Now I agree that Barcelona can play beautiful clean football (and perhaps they do most of the times) which only begs the question why Barcelona chose to do what they did against Madrid. Could it be because they were finding it difficult to play their usual game and penetrate Madrid's defence when it was 11 vs 11? I don't know. But to blame Mourinho (Madrid) for Barcelona's play acting is ridiculous.

:lol:

There was contact. Dani Alves had big bruise on his shin mate.

Err, so tell me why Mourinho's teams always find themselves in controversy. Like I said, the common denominator in all this bullshit over the past 4 or 5 years has been Mourinho. He has always taken things to the extreme.

No one is going to deny that Barca has some divers, with Alves and Busquets being the key offenders. But apart from them and maybe Pedro, who else in that team dives? Who else in that team 'cheats'? Puyol is quick to go down as well, but that's it from my perspective. Villa doesn't take ridiculous tumbles, Xavi never seems to get tackled, Messi shakes off challenges for fun... I don't see who else in their team apart from the two main offenders who are causing you so much angst.

I think your love of Mourinho is clouding your judgment. Let's also not forget di Maria diving or Marcelo diving as well. Ramos and Cristiano routinely made the most of any challenges near them. Look, it's quite boring to talk about. Both teams played an ugly game. Both teams pressured the referee and tried their best to make the most of every situation, Real players included. You seem to painting a picture of Real playing football and Barca doing all the diving and moaning. From what I remember, it was an ugly game in which both sides participated. Maybe Real did a little less diving than Barca, but they sure as hell did a whole lot more kicking than Barca, and that is against the rules too.

How you single out that game and incessantly go on about it like that one sole match is indicative of this Barca side's 'true' self is quite ridiculous.

'no connection between the tactics employed by Mourinho and what Barcelona did on that shameful night' - lol. Get a fucking grip. Mourinho employed those tactics and Barca played along. The fact that Barca don't usually resort to those tactics while Mourinho finds himself and his team in similar controversy year-in year-out should be a big fucking clue to you.

and yet by your own acknowledgement they don't behave that way in 99% of their games, in fact i've not heard anyone say they've ever done it before that night

iirc it was the 3rd of 4 games right?  as i understand it in winning the final madrid stifled the game to death and played a hard, defensive tie

is it beyond belief that guardiola might have sent them out for the first leg of the semi, knowing what would come from real, to use this as a tactic to counter they way madrid should play and people like alves took it too far? 

is it ok for the likes of de jong to snap HBA's leg in two, for example, as tactical means to an end (hit him hard, let him know he's not gonna play easy) that goes too far?

you seem far too eager to elevate what is by all accounts a one off occurrence on barca's behalf into suggesting they're the incarnation of the devil or something :lol:

in 60 minutes of that tie real did not score nor dominate barca and then a man was sent off and it changed the game, some people argue that even without contact it was a sending off (de jong won the ball against HBA you know?)

in short you're obsessed by one game of over the top simulation and yes cheating, and it's embarrassing tbh

in fact i've not heard anyone say they've ever done it before that night

Not going to argue the other points, but this one...

There's already lots of arguments last year, mate. Not in here, but in other forums.

in fact i've not heard anyone say they've ever done it before that night

Not going to argue the other points, but this one...

There's already lots of arguments last year, mate. Not in here, but in other forums.

i mean to that extent though, i can't say that i've ever heard Barca being as vilified as they were for the semi against real - yes they've had their fair share of diving and simulations (cheating) but in the past has it ever really been to that level or much of a muchness for what's seen throughout the game these days?

they deserve some shit for that semi, but honestly the way alpal is beating the fucking drum about it you'd think that's all they ever did

also mourinho's porto were arguably worse the season they beat celtic in the waffa cup imo

The youtube video showed that there was absolutely no contact. I'll PM you the link if it is allowed. Out of curiosity, how do you know there was a big bruise? You were the doctor who examined his shin in the brief 10 seconds he was on the stretcher? :lol:

Err, so tell me why Mourinho's teams always find themselves in controversy. Like I said, the common denominator in all this bullshit over the past 4 or 5 years has been Mourinho. He has always taken things to the extreme.

No one is going to deny that Barca has some divers, with Alves and Busquets being the key offenders. But apart from them and maybe Pedro, who else in that team dives? Who else in that team 'cheats'? Puyol is quick to go down as well, but that's it from my perspective. Villa doesn't take ridiculous tumbles, Xavi never seems to get tackled, Messi shakes off challenges for fun... I don't see who else in their team apart from the two main offenders who are causing you so much angst.

I think your love of Mourinho is clouding your judgment. Let's also not forget di Maria diving or Marcelo diving as well. Ramos and Cristiano routinely made the most of any challenges near them. Look, it's quite boring to talk about. Both teams played an ugly game. Both teams pressured the referee and tried their best to make the most of every situation, Real players included. You seem to painting a picture of Real playing football and Barca doing all the diving and moaning. From what I remember, it was an ugly game in which both sides participated. Maybe Real did a little less diving than Barca, but they sure as hell did a whole lot more kicking than Barca, and that is against the rules too.

How you single out that game and incessantly go on about it like that one sole match is indicative of this Barca side's 'true' self is quite ridiculous.

'no connection between the tactics employed by Mourinho and what Barcelona did on that shameful night' - lol. Get a f***ing grip. Mourinho employed those tactics and Barca played along. The fact that Barca don't usually resort to those tactics while Mourinho finds himself and his team in similar controversy year-in year-out should be a big f***ing clue to you.

You really seemed confused and are unable to read my post properly. As you seem to be accusing me of saying many things that I didn't  say, let's try again:

1) I DID NOT say that Madrid players did not dive. Most of the examples you gave above are valid. What I did say is that Barca went beyond just diving and tried to get Madrid player sent off. There is a difference between diving vs holding your shin when there was no contact or worse holding your face when there was no contact and then crowding the ref in an effort to get the opponent sent off.  Yes Madrid players dived too but they did not do the latter. Barca did.

2) I DID NOT "painting a picture of Real playing football", in fact in my earlier post, I agreed that Madrid played aggressive football which resulted in an ugly match, that still did not justify what Barcelona did in play acting and conning the ref to get players sent off.

3) I DID NOT "single out that game and incessantly go on about it like that one sole match is indicative of this Barca side's 'true' self". In fact what I said in my earlier post was "Now I agree that Barcelona can play beautiful clean football (and perhaps they do most of the times) which only begs the question why Barcelona chose to do what they did against Madrid". I was referring to only that game and not saying that this is how Barcelona play generally.

Finally whilst it is true that Mourinho (Madrid) played aggressive football, how does that justify Barca's play acting? What do you mean by "Barca played along"?. As for the common denominator, you are confusing causation and correlation.

Finally whilst it is true that Mourinho (Madrid) played aggressive football, how does that justify Barca's play acting? What do you mean by "Barca played along"?. As for the common denominator, you are confusing causation and correlation.

who said anything justified what they did?  most of us are taking issue that it should somehow take the shine off their overall triumph or makes them a team not worthy of respect or other equal horseshit

and yet by your own acknowledgement they don't behave that way in 99% of their games, in fact i've not heard anyone say they've ever done it before that night

iirc it was the 3rd of 4 games right?  as i understand it in winning the final madrid stifled the game to death and played a hard, defensive tie

is it beyond belief that guardiola might have sent them out for the first leg of the semi, knowing what would come from real, to use this as a tactic to counter they way madrid should play and people like alves took it too far?  

is it ok for the likes of de jong to snap HBA's leg in two, for example, as tactical means to an end (hit him hard, let him know he's not gonna play easy) that goes too far?

you seem far too eager to elevate what is by all accounts a one off occurrence on barca's behalf into suggesting they're the incarnation of the devil or something :lol:

in 60 minutes of that tie real did not score nor dominate barca and then a man was sent off and it changed the game, some people argue that even without contact it was a sending off (de jong won the ball against HBA you know?)

in short you're obsessed by one game of over the top simulation and yes cheating, and it's embarrassing tbh

Actually I'll give you credit, your post made a lot sense, certainly more than Pip's. Yes I agree that Barca generally play clean beautiful football, still don't know why they did what they did vs Madrid. I guess it is possible like you said that some players (especially Alvez and Busquet) took Guardiola's 'advice and suggestions' to the extreme. That is as plausible as Barcelona deciding that the easiest way for them to break Madrid down (who yes were determine to play defensive counter attack football) was to get a one man advantage. They did get a player sent off and with the one man advantage did score the two goals which for all intent and purposes ended the semis.

P/S: Even if De Jong did get the ball against HBA (I don't think he did), there was definitely contact. That is very different from the Pepe against Alves incident.

who said anything justified what they did?  most of us are taking issue that it should somehow take the shine off their overall triumph or makes them a team not worthy of respect or other equal horseshit

That point was being referred to Pip caused he seemed to justify Barca's play acting on  Mourinho's (Madrid) tactics. Whether it took the shine off their achievement is a personal judgement. Great that you think it did not. I enjoyed their performance in the final but still think that they should be embarrassed with what they did in the semis.

i was using the de jong thing as an example of a tactic that goes wrong - "go out and put a hard tackle on HBA early on nigel, let him know you're around" ends up with a broken leg

"use simulation to break up madrids game and keep it scrappy, don't let them get into any rhythm" ends up with the players with a tendency towards the histrionic taking it too far

seem to have reached some type of accord on the situation now anyway :thup:

If you think that it was only one match then why are you making such a big deal out of it? It was a dirty, ugly match which Barca won by actually trying to attack and score. The end. They also handled Real quite easily in the second leg, and this time without all the shenanigans.

The youtube video showed that there was absolutely no contact. I'll PM you the link if it is allowed. Out of curiosity, how do you know there was a big bruise? You were the doctor who examined his shin in the brief 10 seconds he was on the stretcher? :lol:

Yes I was, probleme monsieur?

Or maybe I saw pictures in a swedish newspaper the day after showing the shin.

So firstly you say that Barca plays clean football most of the time and they're not cheaters and divers in general:

I was referring to only that game and not saying that this is how Barcelona play generally

then you say this:

That's another thing, I said after that abortion of a semi-final that the diving and playacting would be at an absolute bare-minimum in the final. Draw your own conclusions to why that is.

err because Man Utd tried to play attacking football (with two strikers) which worked perfectly for Barcelona. The diving and cheating to get opponent sent off is Barcelona's Plan B, they only use it when they can't get past a flooded midfield.

So what is it? How can it be Barca's Plan B if they've only ever used it once? They've played Real 5 times this season and only in that away semi did that shit happen. Does that sound like a Plan B to you? You've already made a lengthy post saying Mourinho's been successful against Barca yet Barca haven't resorted to this ingenious 'Plan B' in any other game.

How can it be Barca's Plan B if they've only ever used it once? They've played Real 5 times this season and only in that away semi did that s*** happen.

Man, you serious?