CONCACAF Gold Cup

ponsaelius

Guest VegasToon

incredible how good dos santos always looks for mexico.

Hard to believe he can't get in a game for Tottenham.  He looked amazing.

Guest VegasToon

I can hear the Mexicans celebrating outside.  :lol:

I heard some too.  I just starting yelling "Imagracion!" "Imagracion!"  and they scattered like mice.

Bornstein was absolute shit. It was unbelievable. Everything worked through the space he was supposed to occupy.

We have to sign Dos Santos. Mexico's fourth goal was like big titties in your face.

Adu must start from now on.

Bornstein was absolute s***. It was unbelievable. Everything worked through the space he was supposed to occupy.

We have to sign Dos Santos. Mexico's fourth goal was like big titties in your face.

Adu and Dos Santos are similar in that both looked like world beaters at this tournament, but have been failures in every way at club level. Was that the US' strongest team? The lack of anything upfront will hold them back if so. You only need to look at Uruguay to see how imperative top class strikers are in international tournament format.

Carlos Bocanegra is the US equivilent of Stephen Carr... How is he still playing let alone captain? Not good enough for Fulham, defo not good anough for a national team with aspirations like the US - I'd rather have De Merritt back in the side than Bocanegra and Jay's ancient. Mike - Bornstein WAS terrible, good call. The old guard must go.... and the US somehow have to uncover three or four really good young players to be able to beat Mexico. I can't see it personally.

Bornstein was absolute s***. It was unbelievable. Everything worked through the space he was supposed to occupy.

Adu and Dos Santos are similar in that both looked like world beaters at this tournament, but have been failures in every way at club level. Was that the US' strongest team? The lack of anything upfront will hold them back if so. You only need to look at Uruguay to see how imperative top class strikers are in international tournament format.

The US has always had a problem developing proper strikers. The only player in recent memory that comes close would be Brian McBride. The typical American striker is usually an attacking midfielder or winger playing out of position and isolated. It is a nation of midfielders and 'keepers... apparently.

Our strikers are still a few years away from full potential. Altidore looked good at the tournament, it's unfortunate he got hurt. But, you're right, there's a huge problem when him, Agudelo and Wondolowski are playing. Hopefully those first two develop well and Charlie Davies makes it back into the squas, and Teal Bunbury looks like he'll turn out good. We should be decent enough up top by 2014.

You say the old guard must go... yet Tim Ream who is supposed to be this promising CB looked like a fish out of water in this tournament.

Yeah, unfortunately the new guard isn't much better. Cherlundolo was probably our best defender and he's in his 30's. The only young defender I have relative hopes for is Timmy Chandler.

Also, on Freddy Adu. Surely he should have stayed in MLS a few more years?

I mean, he was probably never going to be a worldbeater.. but if he hadn't moved to Europe and been shunted all over the place he might have developed into a half decent player. Dempsey is an example of somebody who didn't move until he was like 24ish and he has done very well.

You say the old guard must go... yet Tim Ream who is supposed to be this promising CB looked like a fish out of water in this tournament.

I can't deny that... as I said in my post above, the US has a lack of good defenders and finishers.