Mevlüt Erdinç

Guest sicko2ndbest

Does Ba dominate defences and create chances like Carroll does?

When AC's on his game, he is unstoppable. Reducing it to goals is too simple. He didn't score in the 5-1 but he set three up and they had a man sent off trying to stop him.Will Ba do all that? Let's hope so but those trying to convince themselves that we've not lost something special are living in a dream world.

:thup:

I don't like the claim that "people would be happy if we paid 30m for Ba, Cabaye, and Marveaux"

you dont like it? it's fucking lunacy. 2 were available on a free and one had a release clause under 5 million and has never played in england, i'd have been fucking livid if we'd spent 30m on those 3

Unless Ba and Erdinc become prolific goalscorers, then nothing will change my mind. Carroll was banging them in for fun man.

The only reason I ever agreed to the Carroll deal was because I thought an exceptional amount of money like that would allow us to buy and think big and substantially improve the first team. And we haven't. And don't look like doing at all.

Unless we sign Sturridge (ha!), then there was no point to the Carroll deal at all. 

The reason for the Carroll deal was that the amount of money was too good to turn down. That's it.

Only if you're prepared to spend it. Which is the crux of the matter and the reason for the discontent atm.

What I mean is, when you get an offer for an asset that is that crazy you pretty much have to sell.

If the club was financially healthy and/or Ashley was prepared to continue to pump money in, we could have said no. But neither of those things is true.

So you're suggesting we had to say 'yes' to keep the club going? ???

He probably didn't literally "have" to say yes, we obviously wouldn't have gone bust without the Carroll sale (but you know that).

What I'm saying is that if you have a club that is making regular losses, the owner is subsidising it with big loans, and there is a chance to bring in massive money for an overvalued asset, then you might well think it's a good idea.

I'm not saying anyone "had" to sell Carroll, I'm saying I understand why it was too good a deal to turn down.

So we could have kept him and still signed Ba, Cabaye, Marveaux and Abeid. That was my point - we had a choice and decided to take the cash and not invest any of it back into the playing staff.

Yes, probably, I've never denied we made that choice. All I'm saying is that choice isn't entirely wrong... or at least not necessarily.

:lol: good old ian

:love:

I don't like the claim that "people would be happy if we paid 30m for Ba, Cabaye, and Marveaux"

you dont like it? it's fucking lunacy. 2 were available on a free and one had a release clause under 5 million and has never played in england, i'd have been fucking livid if we'd spent 30m on those 3

???

Think you might have missed the point of that post.

you dont like it? it's f***ing lunacy. 2 were available on a free and one had a release clause under 5 million and has never played in england, i'd have been f***ing livid if we'd spent 30m on those 3

It really wasn't necessary to pick out and respond to the most utterly inconsequential part of my post.

When AC's on his game, he is unstoppable. Reducing it to goals is too simple. He didn't score in the 5-1 but he set three up and they had a man sent off trying to stop him.Will Ba do all that? Let's hope so but those trying to convince themselves that we've not lost something special are living in a dream world.

:wat:

I don't like the claim that "people would be happy if we paid 30m for Ba, Cabaye, and Marveaux" but I do believe that the lack of transfer fee contributes significantly to people badly underrating Ba.

Fact of the matter is he was one of the most in-form players in the league for the last third of the season and scored in excess of 1 in 2 for an abysmal West Ham side. I realize that stats are only useful when they suit your opinion(:nile:), but his form for the last three months of the season pisses all over Carroll's, in both goals scored and general play.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't like the claim that "people would be happy if we paid 30m for Ba, Cabaye, and Marveaux" but I do believe that the lack of transfer fee contributes significantly to people badly underrating Ba.

Fact of the matter is he was one of the most in-form players in the league for the last third of the season and scored in excess of 1 in 2 for an abysmal West Ham side. I realize that stats are only useful when they suit your opinion(:nile:), but his form for the last three months of the season  pisses all over Carroll's, in both goals scored and general play.

:facepalm:

Fact of the matter is he was one of the most in-form players in the league for the last third of the season and scored in excess of 1 in 2 for an abysmal West Ham side. I realize that stats are only useful when they suit your opinion(:nile:), but his form for the last three months of the season pisses all over Carroll's, in both goals scored and general play.

What's funny? The bit in bold is correct.

Carroll dominates when the ball is hung up high in the air and there are players like Nolan who are canny at picking up the scraps. Unless Liverpool are going to drastically change the way they play, it's not nailed on he'll be as effective as he was for us. It's not as simplistic as you are making it out to be either.

Carroll made what, four league appearances for Liverpool?

He was unplayable against Citeh. Why not compare the way Carroll was playing in the first half of the season, for us, to how Ba played for West Ham?!

Guest Heneage

He was unplayable against Citeh. Why not compare the way Carroll was playing in the first half of the season, for us, to how Ba played for West Ham?!

He was piss poor against West Brom.

:lol:

Because it's completely irrelevant as support for my point that Ba is being underrated even though we can't compare the quality of the two players in the abstract?

Carroll dominates when the ball is hung up high in the air and there are players like Nolan who are canny at picking up the scraps. Unless Liverpool are going to drastically change the way they play, it's not nailed on he'll be as effective as he was for us. It's not as simplistic as you are making it out to be either.

How much he suits liverpool isnt that relevant, the basis for this discussion is his value whilst he was here in comparison to Ba. Though i reckon Gerrard/adams/downing etc shouldnt have to much problem finding his head.

He was absolutely tamed by Samba against Blackburn as well. The problem with route one football is there's no plan B if you come up against a big hard centre back.

Because it's completely irrelevant as support for my point that Ba is being underrated even though we can't compare the quality of the two players in the abstract?

In my opinion, Andy Carroll looked a much more effective player in the first half of the season for us, than Ba did in the second half of the season for West Ham.

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, is Erdinc actually any good?

Obviously, PSG are rather rich these days but it is still slightly worrying that they seem happy to dispose of him. Can't be much worse than Best/Shola/Loven like.

Guest Heneage

In my opinion, Andy Carroll looked a much more effective player in the first half of the season for us, than Ba did in the second half of the season for West Ham.

Carroll was also playing in a better side than Ba. You can counter argue all you want. I'd say both we're equally impressive the only difference is Carroll's young so could get better/more consistent.

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, is Erdinc actually any good?

Obviously, PSG are rather rich these days but it is still slightly worrying that they seem happy to dispose of him. Can't be much worse than Best/Shola/Loven like.

He was shit a month ago but he's mint now.