Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

Would be very disappointed to see Marveaux leave. Our most creative player after Hatem.

Very controversial but i think he's more creative than Hatem, i have never seen Hatem pick out the passes that Marveaux seems to be able to do quite regularly.

Shame Pardew doesn't seem to start him very often.

Edit: Ron's beat me to it :lol:

Let's hope this "exclusive" is a pile of poop. Marveaux is easily one of my favorite players. We have no player like him, his calm and precision is a joy to watch.

On the upside marv is always injured. We won't replace him with anyone of similar skill and flair. Too bad if true.

Would be very disappointed to see Marveaux leave. Our most creative player after Hatem.

Very controversial but i think he's more creative than Hatem, i have never seen Hatem pick out the passes that Marveaux seems to be able to do quite regularly.

Suppose, maybe meant in terms of Hatems ability to pluck something out of nothing. Marv is a seriously underrated player, one of the bright spots in our shit season just gone.

Hatem's more of an eccentric than a playmaker, though. Still, I don't know how he's meant to be anything like creative when he's camped on the half-way line with three defenders around him.

I wouldn't say Marveaux's actually a better passer of the ball, they both have excellent vision and technique and are pretty even in that regard. Marv's more patient though and picks his opportunities better, that's probably because he's simply less selfish.

HBA has more to his game and offers a greater variety of creativity however and for that reason, he just edges it for me. They're both very good at making openings though, it's goals where Hatem's got a better record.

They're both contenders for pass of the season, HBA against Norwich and Marveaux against Arsenal.

Ben Arfa's certainly got the ability to pull them off but prefers to use his other, flashier talents :lol: In all seriousness, we'll probably never see the full extent of his range consistently until he loses his acceleration and matures a little more.

Would hate to see him leave, really like watching him play and he's probably got the best eye for a pass in our whole squad (Cisse vs Anzhi, Cisse v.s Fulham both spring to mind).

Best of the lot was his assist to Ba against Arsenal. Sublime pass that was.

This - absolutely. Best pass of the whole season, I reckon and he had to get some bend on it too in order to escape their CDs.

Pity the lad doesn't seem to be able to play a full game at PL pace.

f*** all these "foreign types" with their close ball control and precision passing, what we need, is to get back-to-basics, with some good old fashioned Hoofball

:suicide:

Yes, know what you are getting at, but us old-timers have seen English(and other British)players with just as much passing skill as foreigners ; think Terry Hibbitt at Newcastle, could drop a long ball on a sixpence(watch his pass fpr Supermac's second against Burnley in the FA Cup Semi), Tony Currie, both long and short passing, Stan Bowles at QPR, Kenny Dalglish, Liam Brady and not forgetting George Best or our own Peter Beardsley......

Skill has gone out of British native players because it has been coached out and too many youngsters now don't practice at their game...too many other distractions.

Hatem's more of an eccentric than a playmaker, though. Still, I don't know how he's meant to be anything like creative when he's camped on the half-way line with three defenders around him.

Tis true, i think the best way to seperate the two of them is Hatem is more likely to beat 3 or 4 players with individual skill and his the ability to put in a lovely through ball while Marveaux has the ability to drift past people too but is more likely to beat 3 or 4 players with a pass.

Such a shame we haven't seen them together very often :(

I think Marveaux's more creative than Hatem when he's actually on the pitch.

I think that's a bold statement but not very far from the truth.  If anything, I think Marveaux is a better "team player" than Hatem.  The term creative can be used in so many different ways though.

Guest neesy111

Agree with this.  For all his skills and talent, I'm usually disappointed with Ben Arfa's final ball.

Agreed. Hatem runs with his head down a lot. Marveaux has his head up. Releases the ball earlier and at better times too.

However, Hatem looks for the shot more often and is generally more interested in the final third. Hatem really should score more goals. Marveaux however, wants the ball to pass it and then get it back. When he beats a player or two he'll be looking to pass.

I wouldn't say Marveaux's actually a better passer of the ball, they both have excellent vision and technique and are pretty even in that regard. Marv's more patient though and picks his opportunities better, that's probably because he's simply less selfish.

HBA has more to his game and offers a greater variety of creativity however and for that reason, he just edges it for me. They're both very good at making openings though, it's goals where Hatem's got a better record.

Simply put, Marveaux makes better decisions. HBA doesn't have excellent vision as he's often head down. But when he looks up he can make any pass possible.

HBA is more talented but Marveaux is clearly more refined. Unfortunately for Marveaux, his personality isn't as dominant as HBA's and he lacks the blockbuster moments that would make Pardew understand how important he could be.

HBA is also more flexible tactically. RW, LW or in the hole he's great. Marv needs to be central or have licence to play centrally to be effective. HBA IMO is a forward where Marveaux is an attacking midfielder.

Guest Roger Kint

Agree with this.  For all his skills and talent, I'm usually disappointed with Ben Arfa's final ball.

Agree. HBA generally looks better when we break and he gets a run on the defenders, Marv is better when the defence is set and he can clip balls in(Ba v Arsenal/Cisse v Stoke) which given our usual build up play happens more often.

Simply put, Marveaux makes better decisions.

:thup: