Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

Your inability to understand logic is frightening.

He made an impact in games for us when we were sorely lacking in creativity, he should have played more but was used as a scapegoat by the same idiot who gave away Ben Arda for free. How s**** he happened to be anywhere else is beside the point.

Give me examples of those games then because I'm struggling to remember them. I hate Pardew as much as anyone, but I'm sick of the attitude that any player who fell out of favour during his tenure was some sort of misunderstood, hard done by genius. And if you're saying his form on loan in France isn't relevant, that's only because it doesn't suit your agenda.

As for Ben Arfa, yes I said we would still have struggled last year if he was in the squad. Fair play to him for doing much better at Nice than I expected.

Isn't this the sort of scenario that you should be learning from before asserting the same sort of opinions? It's quite hard to take someone seriously when they not only lack humility after being very wrong, but adamantly insist that they're right as if them being very wrong never happened.

I think there's been enough Ben Arfa discussion on here but hey ho. How can I be wrong about a totally hypothetical situation, I gladly admit Ben Arfa has done much better in Ligue 1 than I expected. Maybe that does mean if he was in our squad last year, we wouldn't have been fighting relegation.

Not really relevant to Marveaux though, if you think he played well for us and will be a loss, that's your opinion and we'll have to disagree.

Your inability to understand logic is frightening.

He made an impact in games for us when we were sorely lacking in creativity, he should have played more but was used as a scapegoat by the same idiot who gave away Ben Arda for free. How s**** he happened to be anywhere else is beside the point.

Give me examples of those games then because I'm struggling to remember them. I hate Pardew as much as anyone, but I'm sick of the attitude that any player who fell out of favour during his tenure was some sort of misunderstood, hard done by genius. And if you're saying his form on loan in France isn't relevant, that's only because it doesn't suit your agenda.

As for Ben Arfa, yes I said we would still have struggled last year if he was in the squad. Fair play to him for doing much better at Nice than I expected.

Isn't this the sort of scenario that you should be learning from before asserting the same sort of opinions? It's quite hard to take someone seriously when they not only lack humility after being very wrong, but adamantly insist that they're right as if them being very wrong never happened.

I think there's been enough Ben Arfa discussion on here but hey ho. How can I be wrong about a totally hypothetical situation, I gladly admit Ben Arfa has done much better in Ligue 1 than I expected. Maybe that does mean if he was in our squad last year, we wouldn't have been fighting relegation.

Not really relevant to Marveaux though, if you think he played well for us and will be a loss, that's your opinion and we'll have to disagree.

Completely agree with you (this post and your previous ones).

FWIW Ben Arfa is a fantastically world class player when things are going right throughout the whole team, when they're not and you need players to dig in and scrap - he's far from amazing. Similar to Wijnaldum.

Ben Arfa scored goals home and away throughout his time here regardless of how well the team was doing. Wijnaldum is totally useless when he's expected to be one of our only outlets in attack.

The hypothetical situation is on par with 'It'll rain sometime this month'. It's pretty much an established fact that Ben Arfa would have won us points last season.

Honestly man "not a single point last season" :lol:

Think about what you're agreeing with man, the guy just makes it up as he goes along.

OK I concede we may have won more points with Ben Arfa if it will make you happy, then again we might not have  :cheesy:. I still question how big an impact the Ben Arfa of the last few years pre-Nice would have had when we were struggling under Carver. Honestly surprised a post from over a year ago has affected you to this extent.

Let's not let a thread about Marveaux turn into another dull Ben Arfa debate. I beg you.

It doesn't matter if i'm happy or not, it's just people will never be able to take anything football related you say seriously ever again.

Anyway, the floor's all yours if you want to explain how Marveaux not getting more game time ahead of Ameobi, Gouffran, Taylor and Obertan made sense.

It doesn't matter if i'm happy or not, it's just people will never be able to take anything football related you say seriously ever again.

Anyway, the floor's all yours if you want to explain how Marveaux not getting more game time ahead of Ameobi, Gouffran, Taylor and Obertan made sense.

None of them are good enough. Not liking X doesn't mean I like A, B and C but you deserve credit for not telling me that I must love Pardew and his 'grafter' cronies. At least Gouffran consistently made a contribution for a while though.

I don't think anyone is saying Marveaux is worse than any of them, but he's not good enough to be here is the general opinion.

The other names you listed should all follow him out of the door, providing we stay up. As none of them are good enough either.

I totally agree. The argument is wether or not he was neglected back then though and if we suffered because of it. I think he was and we did.

Guest Howaythetoon

Just another player signed without a fucking clue as what to do with him, basically a purposeless signing just like so many the club have made over the years. Mind it infuriated me that someone like Gosling got game time and additional chances while the likes of Marveaux rarely did. That's Pardew for you though...

In general play he just wasn't very good though, it's not like his assists that season were some acts of genius either. He just wasn't that good. Not sure why people seem to be so passionate about either slagging or backing him mind :lol:

Guest neesy111

His assist in the last minute against Stoke at home (I think) to set up Cisse to score was class

Aye it was.

His assist in the last minute against Stoke at home (I think) to set up Cisse to score was class

This, remember being there.

Tbf I even recall Xisco providing a quality assist when we beat Villa 6-0. Swallows and summers and all that.

• 11 months later...

From an article in the Guardian:

"Newcastle outcast Sylvain Marveaux’s move to Lorient was hardly given a second thought in the summer, given how poor he had been at Guingamp two years ago. When he started the season injured and Lorient struggled, that indifference seemed validated; how much could 30-year-old whose reputation was built on one solid season impact a struggling team? The answer was quite a bit; all of Marveaux’s five goals and six assists have come since the dismissal of Sylvain Ripoll, establishing himself as the team’s creative fulcrum. Faced with a match against relegation rivals Metz – who have also been boosted by a veteran in the form of Cheick Diabaté – Lorient could easily have been worried about Marveaux’s absence through injury. Not wanting to disrupt Lorient’s tactics, Bernard Casoni called on the youngster Jimmy Cabot to take Marveaux’s spot on the right side of a 4-4-2, and the former Troyes man responded brilliantly, recording a brace and two assists in a demolition of Metz that sees Lorient up to the dizzy heights of 16th. The good form of Romain Philippoteaux and Marveaux mean that Cabot has often been on the bench this season, but the youngster showed he should be given more of a chance come next season, provided Lorient’s seemingly impossible bid for survival is a successful one."