The 2011-2012 Betting Thread: Last call for 2011/12 football, pretty much

Stu

Get your money on Rooney - Top Goal Scorer.

For what?

The Premier League.

He's only one behind and RVP is in bad form.

5/4, decent odds.

Will do that tonight. :thup: Cheers for alerting me to that.

Juventus @ 1/5

(Match Betting)

AC Milan @ 1/5

(Match Betting)

Partizan Belgrade @ 1/9

(Match Betting)

Fc Minsk @ 8/5

(Match Betting)

Bursaspor @ 7/5

(Match Betting)

FC Copenhagen @ 10/11

(Match Betting)

Multiple Type:  6 fold

Stake:  5.00

Possible Return:  95.29

Do people have better success betting on instinct (whatever that actually means), or studiously analysing the form and the such?

Not that it makes much difference for me currently. :lol: Just interested.

For me it's about 70/30. 70 % of the big money bets I do are normally after some kind of analysing while the other part are bets that come from emotional decisions and live in-play bets.

David28's "some sort of analysing":

1) Check English fixtures: are Man Utd playing? are Man City playing? Pick Man Utd. Pick Man City if they're at home/away against a non top-6 team.

2) Check Spanish fixtures: are Real Madrid playing? Pick Real Madrid.

3) Check German fixtures: are Bayern away from home? Pick opposition.

Put accumulator on all selections for €5-20.

Put €50-100 on Man Utd and/or Real Madrid.

Put €25-50 on Man Utd -1 and/or Real Madrid -1.

Urge others to follow him in.

Rinse. Wash. Repeat. Do it.

[/safety wink]

David28's "some sort of analysing":

1) Check English fixtures: are Man Utd playing? are Man City playing? Pick Man Utd. Pick Man City if they're at home/away against a non top-6 team.

2) Check Spanish fixtures: are Real Madrid playing? Pick Real Madrid.

3) Check German fixtures: are Bayern away from home? Pick opposition.

Put accumulator on all selections for €5-20.

Put €50-100 on Man Utd and/or Real Madrid.

Put €25-50 on Man Utd -1 and/or Real Madrid -1.

Urge others to follow him in.

Rinse. Wash. Repeat. Do it.

[/safety wink]

You're right about Man Utd. A team I probably rely on more than on every other team.

Real Madrid? Do you see me betting on them that often? Surely not, the odds they've normally got are too low to bet on.

Bayern? Well, I don't even really pay attention to the Bundesliga at times - if anything, Dortmund is my team there.

I sometimes bet against Bayern - but not when I hope they'll lose or not when they're just 'playing away from home'. I read and hear stuff which makes me think they're not in the form to win that particular game.

Man City? If you've got the time and if you're in the mood to do it, then please show me how often I've placed my money on them that season.

First of all, I don't want them to win. Second, I've been one of the very, very few people who said all season long they won't win the title because of the mercenary group they've got assembled there.

Last but not least, I've never seriously 'urged' people to follow me. I've told you before, it's their probably if they think they're placing a bet because I did so. I certainly wouldn't follow anyone just because he's won the other week...

Some of the winnings from the weekend gone, disappointing in the circumstances. Would still place the same bets if the game was on again tonight, no regrets about them. Chelsea's luck has to run out at some point this season.

Some interesting replies last night like, certainly showed the true colours of a few people.

Alright Cyndi Lauper, let it go, he apologised.

[/i don't really have an opinion, I just wanted to make my Cyndi Lauper joke].

Can't we all go back to being a community of gamblers who are supportive of one another? Who enable each other's respective addictions until we're penniless and have pushed all our loved ones away with our lies and deceit... I mean, isn't that the spirit in which this thread was forced in Mount Doom?! I don't know where we are, but somewhere along the way here, we all lost our way...

:Taylor27:

Bought this bet just now-

Thomas Muller

1st Player Carded: Real Madrid v Bayern Munich

25/1 £2.00 £52.00

Is that either yellow or red, BTW?

If it's just 'carded' and not first yellow or first red than it should count with either yellor or red.

Guest idlebob

Do people have better success betting on instinct (whatever that actually means), or studiously analysing the form and the such?

I've designed a spreadsheet which analyses the long range and short range form of two teams, using an algorithm to generate a win probability.  It then compares the results to the bookies odds to generate a bet value co-efficient, enabling me to select the the best value from a range of potential bets.

It doesn't work, obviously, but it looks f**king great.

I've designed a spreadsheet which analyses the long range and short range form of two teams, using an algorithm to generate a win probability.  It then compares the results to the bookies odds to generate a bet value co-efficient, enabling me to select the the best value from a range of potential bets.

It doesn't work, obviously, but it looks f**king great.

Can you make this available for download, please? :lol:

Guest idlebob

Not a wind up at all, and happy to share - although I did stress it doesn't work!  Or at any rate, it needs some refinement as it struggles to cope with anomalous variables.  I'd need to knock up a quick user's guide though, but if anyone is interested and can make any suggestions for improvement, I'll be happy to give you a look at it

Guest idlebob

Ok, let me put a quick user's guide together (don't worry, it's not rocket science, but some experience of using excel is probably needed) and I'll send it out to anyone who's interested.  Email addresses? 

Meantime, I'll run the weekend's games through it and post the results, for interest.