Pardew on Total Sport tonight

Big Geordie

Guest Mantis

so are we likely to be keeping Routledge, Ranger, Best and Smith? I thought they wanted them out.  Two new signings. Wow.

He didn't say anything like that. He said he'd need to talk to those players in the next couple of weeks.

I didnt say he did.  I was asking a general question.  I cant listen to the bloke.

Two more attacking players sounds fine. I would hope for more, but I can't expect much more. Decent interview all around.

I'm okay with the number. The quality of those two is the essential though.

Two more attacking players sounds fine. I would hope for more, but I can't expect much more. Decent interview all around.

I'm okay with the number. The quality of those two is the essential though.

Indeed. It might not be enough to move forward if they aren't quality signings.

He confirmed that we were going for a change of style. He was concerned at our difficulty in keeping possession and controlling games last season.

He's right, really. Even with the games we won, we rarely looked comfortable. With the players he's brought in, we should be a lot better at working the ball through the midfield.

He sounded bright and optimistic.

Irregardless of whether Pardew succeeds or fails, and irregardless of the constraints Ashley puts on him re: signings etc; it's quite pleasing to see that he has a clear strategy in his head and that he's trying to implement his own style of play by overhauling the squad.

He confirmed that we were going for a change of style. He was concerned at our difficulty in keeping possession and controlling games last season.

He's right, really. Even with the games we won, we rarely looked comfortable. With the players he's brought in, we should be a lot better at working the ball through the midfield.

Seems like a good reason to ship Nolan out tbh. Nolan is a walking paradox on the field. Great leadership and goalscoring. But he is not much of a passer of the ball and not technically comfortable to be in such an important central position as he interupts our game.

Guest elbee909

Irregardless

You're kidding, right?

Is that the wrong word? :lol:

Regardless. Regardless.

Now write it out one hundred times. :)

Seems like a good reason to ship Nolan out tbh. Nolan is a walking paradox on the field. Great leadership and goalscoring. But he is not much of a passer of the ball and not technically comfortable to be in such an important central position as he interupts our game.

He was asked a lot about Nolan, and it emerged that Pardew himself didn't think that Nolan should have a long contract, because he didn't envisage him continuing to hold down a first team place. For Nolan to exercise leadership, he needed to be hands-on, in the thick of the action.

So not just a question of age, but ability as well. As you say, Nolan would not fit in with the new style. At all.

A good summary in case anyone hasn't heard it:

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew was interviewed on BBC Radio Newcastle's Total Sport programme on Monday evening and spoke at length about many topics, also answering questions from callers.

There weren't many great revelations but he spoke very much as if he expected Jose Enrique to depart (although he hoped he wouldn't), Joey Barton to stay and how excited he was about his new French signings.

There were questions about the Andy Carroll money, the departure of Kevin Nolan and even one about Hatem Ben Arfa's squad number and Pardew was generally fairly candid but occasionally cagey about his and employer's future plans.

After an opening "Bonjour", Pardew said he was confident that the new signings will bed in well, as they all speak degree of English. He stated that John Carver and Steve Stone, in particular, will be overseeing their integration into the squad, ensuring the new French acquisitions didn't become too cliquey.

He also acknowledged that although there was always a risk with new players, the extensive research undertaken by Graham Carr and his staff, as well as having information on Ba from his contacts at West Ham, should ensure the players will be a success on Tyneside.

In regards to Enrique, Pardew suggested the full-back wanted Champions League football and although he "hoped it would fall our way", the club do have a contingency plan should the left back leave, as many expect him to. He also claimed that Gael Clichy’s move from Arsenal to Man City didn't help the situation.

He also asserted that Kevin Nolan wouldn’t have been as strong a leader as he was last year, had he not been happy with his current contract and not been playing regular first team football. Pardew said he would have loved to have Nolan for the next two years but the club simply couldn’t give him the five year extension he was looking for and as a consequence, he accepted he had to leave and that the player "wanted to leave".

He also believed that although there are no obvious candidates to replace Kevin's standing both on and off the pitch, "someone always steps up" and played down the role of a captain, claiming "we’re not talking cricket here". He also mentioned Carver and Stone again as people who can take on added responsibility off the pitch, claiming his captains in the past such as Nigel Reo-Coker didn’t take on added responsibility off the pitch.

Pardew also addressed the ongoing situation over Joey Barton's contract position, claiming that he believed he had a good working relationship with last season's stand-in skipper and that he thought he would be here for the season and hoped a new deal could be reached at the end of the campaign, using the old cliché 'a year is a long time in football'.

He also talked about changing the style of football from last season, hoping to have more control in games by using new signing Cabaye and Barton as a way of keeping possession, as well as adding more 'creative flair' with his summer signings, including Ben Arfa and forgotten man Dan Gosling. He admitted he hadn’t seen much of the former Everton man on the training ground but that he was coming back stronger than ever, after undergoing rehabilitation in America.

Pardew suggested there would be at least one more offensive addition in the summer, although not necessarily before the first game of the season and that there was no agreement in place for PSG striker Mevlut Erdinc. He also suggested that the expected new signing wouldn’t necessarily wear the number 9 shirt, which will be given to someone. Alan Shearer and Andy Carroll were cited as typical examples of the type of forward that he believes should fit the shirt but we fear he was hinting - with the local lad angle - that it would be given to Shola Ameobi....

Pardew attempted to deal with rumours that Xisco, Leon Best and Nile Ranger had been told to find new clubs by saying he needed to speak privately with those players first, hinting that they could in fact stay at the club, as long as they were prepared to be squad players.

The most pressing issue in many fans' eyes is whether the £35 million received for Carroll would in fact be spent and Pardew reaffirmed the club line that "the money will stay in the club". However, he suggested that fans shouldn’t attempt to do the maths as it would fall 'way short', claiming agents fees, wages and investment in the training ground would mean all the money wouldn't go simply on transfer fees.

Our own personal take on that is that there should be plenty of season ticket money, TV revenue, sponsorship income etc. to meet those running costs and we refer back to Pardew's words on the day after Carroll's departure, which seemed crystal clear to us:

"The one thing I said to Mike yesterday was: 'Look, if this boy is going to go, this money has to be reinvested in the team, all of it, and he has assured me of that. For the Newcastle fan, that is the most important message I can give today, that all that money will be used.'"

Nice thread lads, will listen back when it's on iPlayer.

If anything, I'm encouraged that he went as far as to say he had any hope about Enrique. Everything else sounds pretty positive, I don't think anyone believed we would spend the whole Carroll fee on players anyway, despite waiting to lynch someone when it doesn't happen.

Guest hobshobs

This guy is almost as bad as Kinnear. Jeez man, last season he was waffling on about bloody Nolan being in the England team. Which was a farcical statement for a start. Tonight he says Nolan wouldn't be playing regular first team football next season for us.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

For those that listened, did any of the transfer talk sound like anything is imminent?

Not really. Wants two offensive players. 'Development' players may arrive though.

For those that listened, did any of the transfer talk sound like anything is imminent?

Not particularly. At one point he mentioned the positives of waiting to buy players until after the start of the season, waiting to see who isn't getting a game and may become available...