Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

seen players before him given far worse stick than he got.  His performance was terrible.  He can have no complaints at being substituted or the fans reaction to it.  If he does, he should watch a DVD of the time he was on the pitch and he might see why.

This.

He tries and thats nice of him, but what does he do? He's quick but doesn't know how to use it, so whats the point? He's not a total write off yet, but it needs to be Marveaux for a while.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Lets all have a go at him that'll make it better.

Who suggested we do that?

When your I.Q reaches double figures you may just work it out.

I think it was right that we've stuck by him and he got a good go yesterday.

He was very disappointing though in this latest big chance, and its time for Marveaux who'll keep the ball better. The team will need that with the fixtures we've got.

I think in a year or so people will have changed their opinions on Obertan dramatically. Football fans are fickle, as seen by the treatment of Best, Raylor, Saylor, Jonas, Nolan ( in the past). We are 9 games into a season, hes not going to transform into a world beater in 9 games, give the guy a chance.

Seems alot more confident in the 'Gabriel Obertan French Talent 2011/2012' video. I was as frustrated as anyone by him yesterday but i think given time and some confidence he will be a good signing. Confidence that wont come by being sarcastically jeered off.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

+ Wasn't afraid to take people on

+ Attempted to track back at times and at one point broke up a Wigan counter while Danny Simpson was chatting up the opposition corner flag

- Needs to look up after he's beaten a man

- Poor decision making

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Can't remember the last player we did that to. Only other time I can remember that happen was when Arsenal fans did it, but can't even remember the player it was aimed at.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

There was some and it clearly affected Obertan as he came off. It's also worth noting I'm fairly sure the right wing is not his best position.

Despite the results, the shape of the team still doesn't look quite right to me yet. The full backs aren't doing much wrong defensively, but going forward they are non-existent. Add to that Cabaye seems to naturally sit deep with Tiote and two big forwards who aren't going to link much and it becomes more difficult for players like Obertan. Cabaye hasn't been great either this season despite the adulation but he is getting far more slack than Obertan because he's already a fans favourite. I can see that Obertan has his faults as well, just not sure he's not being made a scapegoat far too early.

I made that point yesterday watching the game: for all the praise that Cabaye has received, there's been at least 4 games or so where he's been very quiet. I include yesterday, his goal obviously aside.

Despite the results, the shape of the team still doesn't look quite right to me yet. The full backs aren't doing much wrong defensively, but going forward they are non-existent. Add to that Cabaye seems to naturally sit deep with Tiote and two big forwards who aren't going to link much and it becomes more difficult for players like Obertan. Cabaye hasn't been great either this season despite the adulation but he is getting far more slack than Obertan because he's already a fans favourite. I can see that Obertan has his faults as well, just not sure he's not being made a scapegoat far too early. Posted by: Michael

Well said, this is still a very new side so will take time to take it's most effective shape. I think most are in agreement that the best line up will probably include Ben Arfa, Santon and Marveaux but with what exact shape we're not sure yet and that probably applies to Pardew too. He's probably got something in mind and no discusses it endlessly with Carver. Football sides are ever changing though so when you think one thing works something else effective emerges.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I made that point yesterday watching the game: for all the praise that Cabaye has received, there's been at least 4 games or so where he's been very quiet. I include yesterday, his goal obviously aside.

Haven't these all been games where we've been outnumbered in midfield?

Ben Arfa changed that around really. The only times they pushed through our mids after that were when Tiote was caught on the ball.

Think they were better at marking our lads than doing something with it though, only moses looked dangerous really running at us.