Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

How many games does Obertan need to build his confidence?  I don't think it's even down to confidence and that's just an excuse for his lack of intelligence and that will take some turning around.  He doesn’t seem able to read the game and far too often does the wrong thing and his passing can be a bit wild.  I know he’s foreign but that’s no excuse as he’s been in this country for long enough to understand what English football is about, even if he’s played mainly reserve games.  He’s got pace but doesn’t know how to use what he’s got and he's keeping a player out of our team who looks to be just as fast but is much better at using the ball.

This. I haven't seen much to suggest he's even a significant improvement on Routledge tbh. The latter got a lot of stick on here, and people obviously seem to have a lot of time for Obertan, but their performances, strengths and weaknesses for us were very similar iyam.

This might as well be the early stages of the Jonas Gutierrez thread. Now of course, everyone loves Jonas.

Obertan has never played consistently in the first team at this level. Definitely still figuring stuff out. Very talented, and it will eventually show.

However, I will agree that with Marveaux and Ben Arfa waiting in the wings, it is going to be difficult to continue to consistently give him the playing time he needs to pull it all together.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

How many games does Obertan need to build his confidence?  I don't think it's even down to confidence and that's just an excuse for his lack of intelligence and that will take some turning around.  He doesn’t seem able to read the game and far too often does the wrong thing and his passing can be a bit wild.  I know he’s foreign but that’s no excuse as he’s been in this country for long enough to understand what English football is about, even if he’s played mainly reserve games.  He’s got pace but doesn’t know how to use what he’s got and he's keeping a player out of our team who looks to be just as fast but is much better at using the ball.

This. I haven't seen much to suggest he's even a significant improvement on Routledge tbh. The latter got a lot of stick on here, and people obviously seem to have a lot of time for Obertan, but their performances, strengths and weaknesses for us were very similar iyam.

He's much better than Routledge.

Guest hatem garrincha

I'd be surprised if Marveaux's as fast as Obertan, mind.

Don't know who is the faster, but Marveaux is very fast.

This might as well be the early stages of the Jonas Gutierrez thread. Now of course, everyone loves Jonas.

Obertan has never played consistently in the first team at this level. Definitely still figuring stuff out. Very talented, and it will eventually show.

However, I will agree that with Marveaux and Ben Arfa waiting in the wings, it is going to be difficult to continue to consistently give him the playing time he needs to pull it all together.

This is a good point.

This is a good point.

I gurantee a few teams will be shitting themselves at the prospect of Jonas or Obertan running at them.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He's already a better all round player than Routledge and he's 22. Routledge wouldn't have given us anywhere near the threat Obertan has this season, whether he can be frustrating or not he's made us a much more balanced side and full backs are scared of his pace.

Doing stuff.

Stuff like scoring or making goals?

I love Routledge, but he froze up in the premier league. He wasn't trying anything. He was playing scared for some reason. The same cannot be said about Obertan. Yes, he isn't quite aggressive as he ought to be yet, but he is still figuring out when to go for it, and what works and what doesn't. Obertan has never played first team football at this level, ever for goodness sake. Think he would also benefit hugely if he had a better full back behind him, as Simpson offers no support whatsoever going forward.

Doing stuff.

I love Routledge, but he froze up in the premier league. He wasn't trying anything. He was playing scared for some reason. The same cannot be said about Obertan. Yes, he isn't quite aggressive as he ought to be yet, but he is still figuring out when to go for it, and what works and what doesn't. Obertan has never played first team football at this level, ever for goodness sake. Think he would also benefit hugely if he had a better full back behind him, as Simpson offers no support whatsoever going forward.

Obertan hasn't played much at this level but he has played in this league for Man U.  Simpson does offer support and at times gets beyond Obertan who doesn't overlap.

Think he still needs time, he is still young and still hasn't played that many games. A few were on his back from the off which doesn't help you form a balanced opinion of someone.

I don't think it's healthy for players to start at 'shit until proven otherwise' which a fair few seem to do. When you have already decided someones shit it takes a lot for them to impress you and every mistake they make is magnified.

Imo.

Think he still needs time, he is still young and still hasn't played that many games. A few were on his back from the off which doesn't help you form a balanced opinion of someone.

I don't think it's healthy for players to start at 's*** until proven otherwise' which a fair few seem to do. When you have already decided someones s*** it takes a lot for them to impress you and every mistake they make is magnified.

Imo.

I can only think of one person who has said that Obertan is s*** on here.  Can you think of any who have actually said that?

I don't think it's healthy for players to start at 's*** until proven otherwise' which a fair few seem to do. When you have already decided someones s*** it takes a lot for them to impress you and every mistake they make is magnified.

Imo.

:thup:

I, for one, still rate the lad. Though I would like to see Marveaux be given a chance against Wigan tbh.

But I wouldn't be too opposed to Obertan starting on Saturday like.

Doing stuff.

Obertan hasn't played much at this level but he has played in this league for Man U.  Simpson does offer support and at times gets beyond Obertan who doesn't overlap.

Has played in this league for Man U?! What the odd sub appearance spread out over how many years. That's really going to allow him to develop. Can't believe you would say that. Find it even harder to believe that you would then claim Simpson offers decent support to him going forward. Unreal.