Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

It's easy to overlook Obertan's quality when he's on the ball in general because of his lack of killer instinct. He moves the ball nicely in the middle third of the pitch and does some lovely quick passes first time. He just needs to be a bit more aggressive in the final third, and when he's defending he gets back ok but is a bit half-hearted in the tackle. He hasn't been that bad, people are over-blowing it to justify bringing Marveaux and HBA back into the fold. Tbf, I agree they should come in but that's just because they are better players, not because Obertan's done a bad job. He's far better than Routledge.

:thdn:

This, he frustrates the hell out of me.  It's like having a much shitter version of Gutierrez on the other wing.

I'm not saying he's got no future at all with us, but I didn't expect him to come in and play 90 minutes every week and nor should he.

Be surprised if he loses his place in the side, rightly or wrongly. Pardew will have to take his man-management skills to a new level if he's going to take out Obertan/Simpson - who both signed here for first-team football, if sources are to be believed. Be interesting to see how it works out.

Pace, basically.

Aye, Marveaux who would have replaced him has none of that.

I honestly don't know what's going on with Marveaux. He should be starting by now given Obertan's performances and fitness really shouldn't be an issue by now.

His end product is a bit naff and sometimes he seems to lack confidence, but if nothing else he stretches teams in much the same way Gutierrez does. The threat of his pace tends to prevent the opposing full-back from pushing on too much, and that will be more evident against teams with slower players in the left back position.

However, as Mick rightly points out, Marveaux would probably have the same effect.

90 minutes, why?

Out of our 8 league games so far:

Has came on as sub 1 time (46 mins)

Subbed 3 times (once on 85 mins, once on 88 mins, once on 90 mins)

Played the full 90 4 times

Has clocked up a hell of a lot more minutes than I was expecting as I say.

Still doesn't look confident in himself :undecided:

Made a few good runs and he had a decent shot in the second half but you can see that he is still missing that something extra with regards to his end product. A bit sloppy in possession today at times too.

Still doesn't look confident in himself :undecided:

Made a few good runs and he had a decent shot in the second half but you can see that he is still missing that something extra with regards to his end product.

Ability, that's what he's missing.

Guest Wally_McFool

Obertans passing was generally dire today and he does seem frightened of getting stuck in sometimes BUT I think that he is the main reason Bale never got much of a kick today.

Mixed performance from Obertan IMO. Did a job but wasn't too clever with some "basics".