Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I didn't think he was this 'awful' or whatever. He did his job to a decent enough standard and pushed back Assou Ekotto.

I don't mind him, panics when it counts which should improve but is an option to get the ball down the wing. If Santon does fill in at right back for a while I reckon we will see a much improved Obertan (like Obertan, I don't mind Simpson just think Ober will work better off a real attacking full back).

Don't understand this bloke, he is absolutely lightening fast he even kept up with Bale when he was on the break away. Thinking back to someone like Gillespie - he made a career out of just knocking the ball past the defender then pegging it after it. Obertan has the same pace and more ability, yet every time hes one on one with the full back he just slows the ball right down and shuffles up to the defender not seeming sure what to do. Just doesn't seem to have the confidence or the competitive edge to be a top player at the moment.

Don't understand this bloke, he is absolutely lightening fast he even kept up with Bale when he was on the break away. Thinking back to someone like Gillespie - he made a career out of just knocking the ball past the defender then pegging it after it. Obertan has the same pace and more ability, yet every time hes one on one with the full back he just slows the ball right down and shuffles up to the defender not seeming sure what to do. Just doesn't seem to have the confidence or the competitive edge to be a top player at the moment.

Ludicrous comment.

Gillespie had a terrific ability to cross the ball in at full pace. Obertan struggles to match that quality from a static position.

Don't understand this bloke, he is absolutely lightening fast he even kept up with Bale when he was on the break away. Thinking back to someone like Gillespie - he made a career out of just knocking the ball past the defender then pegging it after it. Obertan has the same pace and more ability

:serious:

Typical Mackem comment that, "came from Man utd so he must be good" is all I see there.

Which substitution were we supposed to use exactly?

Ba + Best off for Shola + HBA (no matter what your thoughts at the time, Pardew has been proven to make the right decision with the result).

Simpson off for Santon - Spurs were starting to look dangerous on the break while we were pushing for the equaliser. Simpson has a history of getting caught out of position (especially in the last 20minutes of games - think Spurs, last year). Santon apparently offers quite a lot going forward and he did just that when he came on.

We can only make 3 subs.

His problem for me is lack of support down the right, he gets the ball and stretches the game but Simpson never seems to be down the right for him like Enrique was for Jonas so his options are sometimes lacking, it wouldn't do him any harm to hold on to the ball in those circumstances and wait for support rather than trying to run it on his own.

He's not too bad to be fair to him, I do get the feeling he's one of these players that the fans have to be won over by him rather than giving the guy a chance like they do with other players that don't hit the ground running.

Ludicrous comment.

Gillespie had a terrific ability to cross the ball in at full pace. Obertan struggles to match that quality from a static position.

I remember Gillespie as a dreadful crosser with the exception of one game v Barcelona. Obertan is also poor but seems to have better close control and more skill.

Don't understand this bloke, he is absolutely lightening fast he even kept up with Bale when he was on the break away. Thinking back to someone like Gillespie - he made a career out of just knocking the ball past the defender then pegging it after it. Obertan has the same pace and more ability

Typical Mackem comment that, "came from Man utd so he must be good" is all I see there.

Not following you here mate, I'm comparing one player who signed from Man U with another player who signed from Man U. And I do think that Obertan has loads of ability.

Not following you here mate, I'm comparing one player who signed from Man U with another player who signed from Man U. And I do think that Obertan has loads of ability.

I'm saying there is absolutely nothing that Obertan has done in his career so far to suggest he would even come close to having the same level of ability as Keith Gillespie.

cnt really explain why but i thought he was important today. Used his pace well. I liked the way he roamed about first half trying to link up play. Plus he had assou-ekotto on the back foot quite alot which helped peg him back and stop him attacking us

Youtube Newcastle 3 Barcelona 2 then think about what you just said.

Such a frustrating player. Maybe the most frustrating player I've seen with this shirt for many years. Seems to make the team better with his running and so on, but is absolutely shit as a footballer durng 95% of the game. After 5 games he's more frustrating than Shola.

Didn't think he was bad yesterday, he misplaced a couple of passes but other than that he moved and passed well. Sometimes doesn't realise that he could just knock the ball and destroy his opponent down the line. Hopefully that's something the coaching staff are working on with him.

Didn't think he was bad yesterday, he misplaced a couple of passes but other than that he moved and passed well. Sometimes doesn't realise that he could just knock the ball and destroy his opponent down the line. Hopefully that's something the coaching staff are working on with him.

This.

He's playing OK, but I think that either Masrveaux or BenArfa would do much more than him offensively, he does cover a lot of ground defending but I suppose either of thos two could be asked to do the same...