L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Eh...... Seem to remember pointing out Santon is a right back despite everyone else including the club stating they had bought a new left back... Happy to stick my neck out on that one come next season... Still waiting for someone to point out what this lad has got that we haven't already? Thought Erdinc was the better option personally... Would of give us something different as more of a Bellamy type forward...

Still waiting for you to explain where all this footage is? I've not got a clue about the player, would like a look myself.

I'm not completely convinced we need any specific type of forward in all honesty. I like the idea of a quick forward that can play wide, hassle defenders, run the channels and work his bollocks off but really what we need is good footballers regardless of their strengths.

As I said, "vaguely similar" really. They're both big lads who don't necessarily open up space for each other as the mythical "Bellamy type" would.

I see the sort of difference in movement you mention as more tactical instruction than inherent difference in style really.

I watched Erdinc against Bratislava at Parc des Princes couple of weeks back, thought his movement was poor, although his problem was mainly that Nene, Menez and Pastore were all over the shop that night. Against a pretty average opposition he managed to get one header off target and fall over a lot. I've only seen Maiga on the TV in the pub once and tbh i dont remember much about his performance as i wasnt properly paying attention

However, one of my mates who watches every single game on the TV here is convinced Maiga is the better player than Erdinc. I know that sounds a bit pointless but if you think about asking one of the more knowledgeable posters on here for an opinion on 2 strikers from the Premiership, you'd give it weight. He also told me repeatedly that Cabaye was going to adapt well to the English game, he knows his onions and has a background in the game here. Not much i admit but its all i've got. :D

I watched Erdinc against Bratislava at Parc des Princes couple of weeks back, thought his movement was poor, although his problem was mainly that Nene, Menez and Pastore were all over the shop that night. Against a pretty average opposition he managed to get one header off target and fall over a lot. I've only seen Maiga on the TV in the pub once and tbh i dont remember much about his performance as i wasnt properly paying attention

However, one of my mates who watches every single game on the TV here is convinced Maiga is the better player than Erdinc. I know that sounds a bit pointless but if you think about asking one of the more knowledgeable posters on here for an opinion on 2 strikers from the Premiership, you'd give it weight. He also told me repeatedly that Cabaye was going to adapt well to the English game, he knows his onions and has a background in the game here. Not much i admit but its all i've got. :D

We ask opinions of those who watch the youth and reserves so I don't see how your post is any different.

Sounds good :thup:

Doesn't sound pointless at all. If the lad watches enough then the chances are he'll know his stuff. Cheers.

Slightly off topic, how's Gameiro doing?  I know he's getting goals but is he playing well?

Guest Heneage

I'd like to think after watching the game for 30 year I can spot a player... Just don't see the upgrade from what we already have... What do you see different in him?...

You can spot a player from watching Youtube clips? Are you f***ing daft mate?

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/denniswise.gif

'Not at all Guvnor'

Guest Heneage

Eh...... Seem to remember pointing out Santon is a right back despite everyone else including the club stating they had bought a new left back... Happy to stick my neck out on that one come next season... Still waiting for someone to point out what this lad has got that we haven't already? Thought Erdinc was the better option personally... Would of give us something different as more of a Bellamy type forward...

He can play both. They weren't wrong.

As I said, "vaguely similar" really. They're both big lads who don't necessarily open up space for each other as the mythical "Bellamy type" would.

I see the sort of difference in movement you mention as more tactical instruction than inherent difference in style really.

See, a sensible riposte. You've actually come on leaps and bounds as a poster this year.

A true pleasure to debate with when you occasionally drop the self-absorbed pretty boy facade.

Slightly off topic, how's Gameiro doing?  I know he's getting goals but is he playing well?

Gameiro is much better suited to the style of their attacking 3 behind him than Erdinc. Nene and Menez constantly switch flanks and Pastore is completely free to roam about. PSG play a very fluid 4-2-3-1, Sissoko (ex-Liverpool) anchors them allowing the 3 in front plenty of freedom to pop up all over the place. Gameiro's movement is excellent and its therefore paying off. The fans love him, he came on for 10 mins when i was there to a good reception but had no impact.

Gameiro is much better suited to the style of their attacking 3 behind him than Erdinc. Nene and Menez constantly switch flanks and Pastore is completely free to roam about. PSG play a very fluid 4-2-3-1, Sissoko (ex-Liverpool) anchors them allowing the 3 in front plenty of freedom to pop up all over the place. Gameiro's movement is excellent and its therefore paying off. The fans love him, he came on for 10 mins when i was there to a good reception but had no impact.

He looks to be an excellent footballer who knows how to get into good goal scoring positions and hurt the opposition.  He hasn't done too badly considering he's in a new team.

Yeah, I haven't seen them play this season just basing what I've seen of those two in Serie A and internationally. A French journo on one of the podcasts I listen to was saying that Pastore has been producing moments of individual brilliance for them almost on a weekly basis.

I was in France for a bit recently and watched a few of the highlights programs, Pastore did look quality, looks a whole class above at times.

I think Pastore has been player of the year so far as well in the whole league based on one of the French papers ratings.

He's excellent but a bit erratic as you might expect and does give the ball away trying to do too much (sound familiar? :lol: ). He scored a lovely goal the other night and there was one moment in the second half involving the 3 of them that was breath taking but the chance fell to Bodmer who couldnt finish a volley from about 16 yards out. Would have been a wonder goal, all created by Pastore.

See, a sensible riposte. You've actually come on leaps and bounds as a poster this year.

A true pleasure to debate with when you occasionally drop the self-absorbed pretty boy facade.

How's that for a compliment, oldtype?  ;D