Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

It's blatantly obvious to me that Rafa is telling him to take his time with his distribution, in the same way that all the outfield players take their time with evrrything they do. It's certainly not unique to him. People need to get over the fact that he's an average goalie that happened to be Pardew's mate.

You think Rafa would tell a keeper to take his time over a goal kick when we are behind with hardly any time left? Why?

I’d imagine its more to do with Elliot being aware his distribution is poor and trying to take his time and get it right. Aware of his own limitations and trying to ensure he doesn’t make a mistake. You see where defenders close him down, his distribution is much worse when he is rushed.

I’d rather him take 3 seconds longer and distribute the ball slightly better, than rush it make a mistake when he tries to release Perez on the halfway line, who will undoubtably fall over anyway when someone in Level 7 sneezes.

Trouble is he takes so long it destroys any chance of a counter, and even then all does is hoof it up the pitch - and when you've Gayle and Perez up front the ball is only just going to come back.

It's blatantly obvious to me that Rafa is telling him to take his time with his distribution, in the same way that all the outfield players take their time with evrrything they do. It's certainly not unique to him. People need to get over the fact that he's an average goalie that happened to be Pardew's mate.

You think Rafa would tell a keeper to take his time over a goal kick when we are behind with hardly any time left? Why?

I’d imagine its more to do with Elliot being aware his distribution is poor and trying to take his time and get it right. Aware of his own limitations and trying to ensure he doesn’t make a mistake. You see where defenders close him down, his distribution is much worse when he is rushed.

I’d rather him take 3 seconds longer and distribute the ball slightly better, than rush it make a mistake when he tries to release Perez on the halfway line, who will undoubtably fall over anyway when someone in Level 7 sneezes.

Trouble is he takes so long it destroys any chance of a counter, and even then all does is hoof it up the pitch - and when you've Gayle and Perez up front the ball is only just going to come back.

Aye, not disputing his decision making is poor - but we did finish the game with a team that snow white would have been happy with. Best thing to have done would have tried to play from the back.

He doesn't like kicking a stationary ball, finds it quite difficult and so is taking his time to try and ensure he doesn't fuck it up. I used to do this playing in net for NOFC! You do not expect this from a 'keeper in the Premier League!

When he gets a back pass from a defender he very rarely takes a touch and controls it before looking for a good pass, he likes to smack it up the field first touch. Again, because he isn't confident in kicking a stationary ball.

In the Premier League.

Good hands, good reflex. Rest of his game League 1 standard.

Guest neesy111

I believe Darlow is a better GK, but the clangers he was making made him kind of unplayable at the backend of last season.

The standard of keeping this season from most keepers has been shite, even Butland had a mare yesterday, if Jordan Pickford is going for 30mill I really don’t see how we can afford a decent keeper, we are spending 5mill on a main striker if this takeover hasn’t happend by January I’d just spend what paltry budget we do have on a number 10/striker!

The standard of keeping this season from most keepers has been s****, even Butland had a mare yesterday, if Jordan Pickford is going for 30mill I really don’t see how we can afford a decent keeper, we are spending 5mill on a main striker if this takeover hasn’t happend by January I’d just spend what paltry budget we do have on a number 10/striker!

By one that isn't English and over-hyped.

Guest neesy111

Pope at Burnley looks a solid keeper and might fancy a move if Heaton walks back into the side...

Aye, he looked really good yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Strange how he gets so much stick, but during the analysis of the goals he is apparently at fault for - none of the pundits put any blame at his door.

Maybe, just maybe, people are being over critical.

All the pundits want to lick Manures arse.

Yeah pundits are always 100% correct tbh. Fair point

Not saying that they are. Just saying it’s weird how they don’t mention that Elliot is clearly at fault for the goal.

The first one they are too busy wanking about Pogba. Everything else irrelevant. Doesn’t mean a better keeper wouldn’t have gotten to the other post faster, which is the main issue with Elliot there.

It does feel like he gets blamed in some way for almost every goal we concede :lol:

I wish he wasn't put into the positions he was put into. That's the real issue. That being said, he was pretty weak on the first one and even stutter stepped making it so he doesn't get down fast enough.