Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

Watching it live I just thought - that's a great goal fashioned out of nothing. Didn't really strike me as an Elliot mistake and still doesn't tbh. Lovely goal.

And based on this game alone, despite the pelters being thrown at Elliot, he was still a fair bit better than the other (far more lauded) keeper on the pitch.

Being better than a keeper that had a mare (and has errors in his game) is not really the benchmark we should be using

I would want my keeper to save that at this level BUT we know speed is not one of his strengths, like Harper he takes too long to get down and it wasn't even struck with that much power either

Guest firetotheworks

As obviously limited as I think Manquillo is, I think it's canny mad how people are criticising him for doing exactly what imo he should have done. The only thing he didn't do was block the shot, which he still attempted to do.

Aye he’s so shaky from set plays. Apart for a period of 28 months with Krul - all of our keepers in recent memory have had this shortcoming. 

Likewise all of our keepers in recent memories have poor distribution. 

The lads that have it all don’t play for Newcastle.

Good reflexes / shot stopper

Doesn’t drop clangers often

Commands area

Distribution

I think at our budget level unless a genius stroke of a signing the best we can hope for is 2 out of the 4 with being ok at the other 2. 

None of our goalkeepers are good at more than 1 of those things.

As obviously limited as I think Manquillo is, I think it's canny mad how people are criticising him for doing exactly what imo he should have done. The only thing he didn't do was block the shot, which he still attempted to do.

Do you not think he should have got tighter to Gabbiadini?  Think he allowed him too much space personally.

Aye he’s in the box the best he can hope for is a block and taking him away from danger area. A better player and he blocks it. A better goalie saves it. 

But overall he needed more support.  Once it’s gome through his legs it’s very difficult.

Do you not think he should have got tighter to Gabbiadini?  Think he allowed him too much space personally.

Yeh maybe but that goes into penalty territory. He needed help primarily.  Gabbiadini bs Manquillo 1v1 like that in the box isn’t favourable to us.

Guest firetotheworks

Too tight and he risks giving away a penalty, too much space and he's in on goal. Personally I think shepherding him away from goal was exactly the right thing to do. The shot going through his legs was unlucky for him, these things happen and can't always be cut out. In that situation you're relying on your 'keeper to save what was a tame effort on his near post to be honest.

Can agree to disagree - think he did exactly the right thing in shepherding him away, but I just think you've got to be tighter to your man in the box there.  I don't think you should be giving the opposition the space to turn and hit it that close to goal.

Have to say thought some of the other defenders could have pushed out to close down the space, Manquillo forced him away from goal but a bit of extra support rather than ball watching would have helped.

Either way I'd fancy 90% of Premier League keepers to have got down to that one. That and his diabolical punch attempt from a corner when Van Djik should have scored meant he was pretty poor again.

Not really. He was tight enough to Gabbiadini make the block; the issue was that the shot was placed through his legs.

Guest firetotheworks

Tbh, the thing that keeps getting ignored here is that regardless of your thoughts on what Manquillo should and shouldn't have done, Elliott should still have saved what was a weak shot on his side.

Given the starting position he should never have allowed him to a. get into a shooting position and b. actually get the shot off. Shocking defending imo.