Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Far too often he's the wrong side of his man. I do like him a lot but it's criminal how often this actually happens.

Yeah, we were wide open for about 20 mins down his side, lucky they didn't score from one of those chances.

This coincided directly with a sharp drop in energy levels from Gouffran, imo. It was understandable given how much he invested earlier, but Davide struggled when Walker and Townsend both came at him in tandem.

I just thought he dropped in next to the cb's and looked out of gas tbh.

Far too often he's the wrong side of his man. I do like him a lot but it's criminal how often this actually happens.

Yeah, we were wide open for about 20 mins down his side, lucky they didn't score from one of those chances.

This coincided directly with a sharp drop in energy levels from Gouffran, imo. It was understandable given how much he invested earlier, but Davide struggled when Walker and Townsend both came at him in tandem.

I just thought he dropped in next to the cb's and looked out of gas tbh.

You are right to think it because I was just about to post that very point :thup:

For large parts of that second half the Gouff appeared to be playing LB with Santon dropping in as a left sided CB.

That's how it looked to me anyway.

He dropped in alongside the CBs for the 2nd half because we were trying to defend the width of the box.

They wasn't going to do anything from outwide so we let them try and cross in and defended the width of the box...

That's the reason Walker was always alone, it was a clear plan to defend narrow and give them the wings and say try and break us down if you can and they couldn't.

I have no issues with him defensively today but i did have issues with him in possession as he gave it away far too easily.

Thought Santon was absolute class today, as he has been for a while now. Don't get the doubts people have about him at all.

I'm still not convinced about his actual defensive qualities tbh, I like him, I think he's decent going forward, offers options further up the pitch etc, but actual defending, I remain skeptical.

His positional sense leaves a lot to be desired at times and honestly, he looks canny unfit to me at times, as I said before, maybe it's his running style or something but he doesn't look comfortable running at top speed, he looks laboured to me.

He has time on his side and could turn out to be a class LB over the course of his career, let hope this is the case :thup:

I think he did ok. Yes it is not a great performance but considering that spurs heavily relies on Townsend and walker to break down defense santon did well to limit them just a few crosses. Gouffran deserves huge credit as well

Would like to see him at RB with Debuchy suspended, be interesting to see him on his more natural side.

People keep saying this and yet the few times he's played there he looks awkward. I think left back is simply his strongest position.

I think he did ok. Yes it is not a great performance but considering that spurs heavily relies on Townsend and walker to break down defense santon did well to limit them just a few crosses. Gouffran deserves huge credit as well

Gouff protected him tremendously today tbf

Would like to see him at RB with Debuchy suspended, be interesting to see him on his more natural side.

People keep saying this and yet the few times he's played there he looks awkward. I think left back is simply his strongest position.

Yeah, there was a game near the end of last season and his instinct was still to cut inside even though it was on to his left-foot.

Agreed. He should in theory be able to play RB but the few times we've tried it he just looked uncomfortable there.

Yeah, there was a game near the end of last season and his instinct was still to cut inside even though it was on to his left-foot.

Hard to judge anyone on last seasons shit though

Those movements are probably ingrained after hours of training and matches. Similarly Jonas when played on the right sent in a cross with his left peg.

Do you do it on purpose Skirge? He's a fucking LB, man. Jesus.

Guest Roger Kint

Do you do it on purpose Skirge? He's a fucking LB, man. Jesus.

This. Got slated in Italy for being crap at RB on loan never mind here.