Rate our summer transfer window

High Five o
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The biggest single factor which will help lower to middling clubs like us is a goal scorer. On that score we have failed miserably; again.

We have Shola, Ba and Best (I'll not name others as they simply do not map). That is a pathetic choice and we know that there will be injuries along the way. The fact that any 2 of that 3 do not seem to be able to operate as a pair will see us play one up top with HBA just off or when he is injured we will see Lovelypants get his game.

What could have been a decent window (or as best that could be hoped for) has turned into a complete and utter joke.

Guest Geordiesned

For me the failure to bring in someone who is going to get us goals overshadows any of the signings. That failure could cost us dear.

For me the failure to bring in someone who is going to get us goals overshadows any of the signings. That failure could cost us dear.

Guess the writing was on the wall when we game Ameobi a two year extension after we brought Ba in. Shame a clinical goal scorer would have thrived on some of the service I think the midfield will create.

This. 100%.

We had a real chance to push on with the signings made so far but, frankly, that we've not brought in a striker after having 7 months to identify one has undermined the signings of Cabeye, etc., which, coincidentally, I feel were more opportunistic than part of a planned transfer strategy.

What would your opinion have been had we signed Roux? (goal-scoring record isn't very good)

Personally, I would have thought that we'd at least have identified the weakness in the team and, while not the finished article, we'd have bought potential and someone to provide us with a different option, especially when Ba and possibly Shola are at the ACN. It would also have meant we could have eased him in gently. Instead, if we get a striker at all in Jan, he's got the added pressure of having to perform from day one.

We didnt get a fucking striker we didnt get a fucking striker,  stop wallpapering over shyte smeared walls,  we never bought a striker at the start of last season and made do with what we had,  good job carroll hit the season running!!! We then flogged him late in the jan window for 35 mil, made do with what we had cos the numbskulls were incapable of signing another player.  They said they would spend all the money,  this chsnged over time to the point where now the transfer window is closed ahain and signed no striker.  This is not being unlucky in the transfe market its fucking delibrate,  they can pick other deals out wellenough quickly but they get get a striker in with 8 months prep

I honestly thought everyone would've mellowed out on day 2.  Guess not.

If anything Im worse, i gave the bastards the benefit of the doubt, tried to stay with their plan, got twitchy a few weeks back...but its all mapped out how i hoped it wouldn't

If anything Im worse, i gave the bastards the benefit of the doubt, tried to stay with their plan, got twitchy a few weeks back...but its all mapped out how i hoped it wouldn't

Same here. What went on yesterday with the Ruiz farce dragged our name through the mud for nor reason at all. Every time I see Shola or Lovenkrands on our team sheet it will feel like a punch to the gut.

Agreed here. Yesterday proved to me that MA and DL really don't have the best for this club at all. They're happy to hedge their bets that we'll be ok with a thin squad. Really tried to give them the benefit of the doubt - thought that all the cost cutting was essential in this day and age and tried to stay on board with their 'plan'. But the truth is, they don't have a vision for the club.

Can only hope that this'll indicate that he's planning to fuck off within the next year or two. #wishfulthinking

Guest Geordiesned

What would your opinion have been had we signed Roux? (goal-scoring record isn't very good)

I would have reserved judgement as I admittedly don't follow European leagues that much and know nothing of Roux. I wouldn't have celebrated the signing of any striker as we've had 7-8 months to identify a good one in the mould that we need. The panic by the club over a last few days seemingly bidding for anyone who looked likely to move showed to me that the homework we'd done was substandard at best.

From True-Faith

THE BITTER END 

Once again, a Newcastle United manager is left holding his little wrinkly dick at the end of the transfer window. All of the patter and promises ends up on the piss house floor.

Llambias and Charnley lead the transfer strategy (if it can be dignified by that description) and they have had since 1/Feb/11 to sort out the purchase of a new No.9.

Now, Newcastle United, is in the position of being unable to fill its most famous shirt despite having banked £40m+ in sales over two transfer windows and being back on the PL gravy train and according to Llambias almost being back in profit. This is what it comes to with this lot.

Like many of you reading this with deep and bitter loathing for Ashley and Llambias, even now after four years of one catastrophe after another, I’m sitting here writing this shit, shaking with rage at how our club and its support is being fucked over by the goons we might expect to be its stewards. It’s a sickening blow. But its predictable. Its wholly expected. This gob-shite fanzine has been warning of this day for months. We haven’t been the only ones. In fact, there have been times when I’ve wondered if Pardew has been the only one who has believed anything different would happen to what we all expected. Ashley and Llambias have made the man, laughably referred to as manager, look like a fool. They have hung him out to dry.

The collection of oafs and knaves at our club have allegedly pursued Gameiro, Gervinho, Erdnic, Long, Maiga and latterly Ruiz (or perhaps Ruse is a more fitting description) and achieved in signing Demba Ba on a pay per play basis due to his medical history. That’s your lot.

Perhaps the writing was on the wall when: Ba signed and Pardew started marking our card about how expensive these free signings are. Shola got a new contract and Pardew performed a volte-face by telling us Best wasn’t for the off after all. Add to that trio Lovenkrands and with all due respect to those players (who have their qualities) there is not a PL striker between them. Not one. There are doubts about their fitness and their quality. The fifth striker on the club’s books, Nile Ranger, seems allegedly, more keen on boxing in the Bigg Market two days before a first team game than being a professional footballer

And what of Pardew? He has fed us line after line, promise after promise from last January following the sale of Carroll to Liverpool. Nothing he has said he wanted to happen, has happened. Wanted to keep Barton, Enrique, Nolan? All three gone. Told us the money from Carroll would be reinvested? It hasn’t. Told us we were ahead of the game in transfers? We are weaker now than we were last season. Told us players were coming in this week, next week, the week after. They just haven’t. And now the eleventh hour has passed.

Pardew now needs to make a full public statement about exactly what has gone on. Its too much to expect Llambias to get out of his coffin in day-light and answer the questions the support and media has for him. He is too cowardly in my opinion to face us directly. The man appears never to be more uncomfortable when he is in the company of Newcastle United supporters. Ashley is too pig ignorant to deign to speak to us directly.

Promises have been made and promises have been broken. Supporters have been putting good money into the club year after year in a display of loyalty that is unprecedented anywhere in world football. We are being taken for a ride. Supporters have signed up for ten year deals on season tickets but now the overriding feeling is one of being tricked, hoodwinked and conned by people who have been proven to have lied to us before.

Should we be surprised? Probably not! Does that mean we aren’t angry? Absolutely we are angry. But we know there is nothing we can do. They hold all the cards.

Supporters will chuck it, the trickle of people who can find better things to do with their time and money than invest it in a football club THAT DOES NOT WANT TO BE SUCCESSFUL, will become a flood and I am expecting carnage at season ticket renewal time and there will be loads baling out because this is just too much to bear.

Boycotts or no boycotts. People do not want to feel as though they are having the piss taken out of them by a regime that only seems to be indifferent to us and has absolutely no respect for us. The club are doing nothing to earn our support. The attendances pulled in are unsustainable for a club which has zero ambition whatsoever and it is putting out a team whose quality would be more suitable for the DW Stadium etc. No disrespect to Wigan, a club that punches way above its weight.

This last gasp bid for Ruiz (Ruse) reeks of the bull shit attempts for Kieran Richardson and Charles N’Zogbia in windows gone by.

As fans we weren’t expecting Kaka and Messi to be rocking up Barrack Road. We know where we are (aka knowing where Ashley has lowered us) but I don’t think it is any grand delusion on our part to think that the club with one of the finest stadiums in the country and with the third highest attendances in the PL should be able to compete with West Brom, Stoke, Fulham and Bolton.

Where has the fucking money gone? Why have promises been broken?

WE WANT ANSWERS NOW!

But we won’t get them. So who can blame anyone who has had enough?

The wanks are taking the piss out of NUFC fans

We had a paper thin squad last season, this season we still have a paper thin squad with players who doesn't have any PL experience and is more injuryproned but younger.  We are still needing strikers like we have since we got back to the premiership again, cant really understand why some people are saying that this is a good transfer window...

TBH Demba Ba is just as good on paper or otherwise as any of the strikers we were linked to throughout the window bar Gameiro.

Im more pissed we didn't replace Barton or sign a good right winger.

I hope Ba gets on the goal trail pretty quickly because he'll quickly become the scapegoat otherwise.

This Team mainly built this summer and a small part last is 10 times better than the shit we were left with by a string of shit managers since SBR left. Theres no pleasing some people.  

Throwing money at Luque, Owen types and other shit didn`t work then and it wouldn`t have worked this window. Same with the midfield, I don`t want Duff`s ( money grabber types ) I don`t want Nolans ( Fat has beens coming to the twlight of there careers ) I didn`t want Bartons/ Rangers ( bad press ).

Some of the reactions last few days, Seems that the ownership/managment can`t win.  Most of the transfer movement I would say 80% were crap players we wouldn`t have wanted, the other 20% end up at the big time clubs.  At the moment NUFC are either a downwards step or a sideways step for most decent strikers end of and what would be the point of bringing in a striker no better than what we have or paying 20mill for maybe 3 extra goals a season by someone slightly better just to appease the people who don`t see the bigger picture.

I think to build a decent squad that will last more than 3-4 years takes time and a little disappointment. Outside of the top 6 I don`t really see any striker we should or could have had without throwing stupid money and pissing off current players on probably half the wages. Yet people act like its all down to the people running the club being stupid. Man City and a few others continue to buy anyone they want, causing the other clubs slightly less rich to buy players that might have been going to slightly lower clubs and its a snowball effect, look at Arsenal buying unchararistically for example. Theres not a pile of good players sitting around with p45`s we are just ignoring.

I don't understand why would people seem more interested in a single striker than others.

Goal scoring strikers are the most expensive commodities in the market. What chances are there that we could easily find one that is cheap and reliable ? Actually we already found one - Demba Ba!

It is also pointless to have a goal scoring striker but a shit midfield support. Matter of fact, we have massively strengthen our midfield with the French triplet. I would not trade these 3 for an overpriced proven striker.

As for whether the Carroll money has been reinvested. I think it is important for the club to keep a healthy balance sheet. It is not as if the owner is syphoning the money out of the game. The money is still being reinvested into the club to cut interest, debt.

Lastly, one must remember that while Carroll commanded a huge transfer fee, his wages wasn't high (as far as I am aware). Even though we got Cabaye, Ba, and Obertan in with little transfer fee, some of the Carroll's 35M surely would go into their wages.

Could we have done better ? Yes, we could always have. But which club (bar top 4 who could throw money around) have done better than us ?

This Team mainly built this summer and a small part last is 10 times better than the shit we were left with by a string of shit managers since SBR left. Theres no pleasing some people. 

Throwing money at Luque, Owen types and other shit didn`t work then and it wouldn`t have worked this window. Same with the midfield, I don`t want Duff`s ( money grabber types ) I don`t want Nolans ( Fat has beens coming to the twlight of there careers ) I didn`t want Bartons/ Rangers ( bad press ).

Some of the reactions last few days, Seems that the ownership/managment can`t win.  Most of the transfer movement I would say 80% were crap players we wouldn`t have wanted, the other 20% end up at the big time clubs.  At the moment NUFC are either a downwards step or a sideways step for most decent strikers end of and what would be the point of bringing in a striker no better than what we have or paying 20mill for maybe 3 extra goals a season by someone slightly better just to appease the people who don`t see the bigger picture.

I think to build a decent squad that will last more than 3-4 years takes time and a little disappointment. Outside of the top 6 I don`t really see any striker we should or could have had without throwing stupid money and pissing off current players on probably half the wages. Yet people act like its all down to the people running the club being stupid. Man City and a few others continue to buy anyone they want, causing the other clubs slightly less rich to buy players that might have been going to slightly lower clubs and its a snowball effect, look at Arsenal buying unchararistically for example. Theres not a pile of good players sitting around with p45`s we are just ignoring.

Two words: Bryan Ruiz.

This Team mainly built this summer and a small part last is 10 times better than the s*** we were left with by a string of s*** managers since SBR left. Theres no pleasing some people. 

Throwing money at Luque, Owen types and other s*** didn`t work then and it wouldn`t have worked this window. Same with the midfield, I don`t want Duff`s ( money grabber types ) I don`t want Nolans ( Fat has beens coming to the twlight of there careers ) I didn`t want Bartons/ Rangers ( bad press ).

Some of the reactions last few days, Seems that the ownership/managment can`t win.  Most of the transfer movement I would say 80% were crap players we wouldn`t have wanted, the other 20% end up at the big time clubs.  At the moment NUFC are either a downwards step or a sideways step for most decent strikers end of and what would be the point of bringing in a striker no better than what we have or paying 20mill for maybe 3 extra goals a season by someone slightly better just to appease the people who don`t see the bigger picture.

8 months to buy a striker, plenty of time to negotiate with other clubs.

Other teams in and around our league position managed to tie up deals for strikers...

Stop talking shyte, no NUFC fan wants has beens at the club anymore but we can see when a player has value to the squad.

Barton and Nolan would have been very useful for at least another season to at least help the new players bed into the prem league and not forgetting they both had a decent previous season, so its not like they were not preforming.

Back to the striker, 8 months to cut a deal and it still wasn't done.

Stop kidding yourself man.

I don't understand why would people seem more interested in a single striker than others.

Goal scoring strikers are the most expensive commodities in the market. What chances are there that we could easily find one that is cheap and reliable ? Actually we already found one - Demba Ba!

It is also pointless to have a goal scoring striker but a shit midfield support. Matter of fact, we have massively strengthen our midfield with the French triplet. I would not trade these 3 for an overpriced proven striker.

As for whether the Carroll money has been reinvested. I think it is important for the club to keep a healthy balance sheet. It is not as if the owner is syphoning the money out of the game. The money is still being reinvested into the club to cut interest, debt.

Lastly, one must remember that while Carroll commanded a huge transfer fee, his wages wasn't high (as far as I am aware). Even though we got Cabaye, Ba, and Obertan in with little transfer fee, some of the Carroll's 35M surely would go into their wages.

Could we have done better ? Yes, we could always have. But which club (bar top 4 who could throw money around) have done better than us ?

Very good post.. And I don't think people would have been happy if we had blown our money away on players like Crouch, Jerome or SWP either..

It is also pointless to have a goal scoring striker but a s*** midfield support. Matter of fact, we have massively strengthen our midfield with the French triplet. I would not trade these 3 for an overpriced proven striker.

Healthy balance sheet??!?!?!? 

We brought in 47 mil and spent 12 mil!

Thats fucking healthy, no nufc fan was expecting kaka or rooney but we should have at least been able to buy someone like Ruiz ffs.

Stop kidding yourself man. FFS

Some of the reactions last few days, Seems that the ownership/managment can`t win.  Most of the transfer movement I would say 80% were crap players we wouldn`t have wanted, the other 20% end up at the big time clubs.  At the moment NUFC are either a downwards step or a sideways step for most decent strikers end of and what would be the point of bringing in a striker no better than what we have or paying 20mill for maybe 3 extra goals a season by someone slightly better just to appease the people who don`t see the bigger picture.

The problem is, whilst it takes time to build a squad, there's absolutely no indication that it's being done for reasons other than saving £££. If we had owners who were ambitious, and who communicated those ambitions to the fans, we wouldn't have sold Nolan or Barton. Neither needed to go (before Twitter rants) and they were, by all intents and purposes, first team players who would have provided much needed stability and a strong dressing room in order to ease in the new players.

There comes a point where its impossible to defend the indefensible. Not buying a new striker, in my view, is exactly that. Indefensible and incompetent.