Rooney vs Shearer

ponsaelius

If Shearer went to Manchester United he sadly would have scored a lot more goals than he did for us, for us he scored a hell of a lot of goals despite two massive injuries.

What utter garbage.

Shearer would have lasted 5 seasons max at Man U before Fergie booted his btackside out of the door as soon as his form slipped.

Doubt it, Shearer would have been a 10 years man at Man Utd easily, because he'd still have banged them in for fun like he did for us but just as key because he was a leader, a team-player, a strong personality. Fergie likes such characters, i.e. your Scholes', Giggs', stalwarts, real pros. Players who despite their declining form and years, he still keeps around.

The likes of Giggs and Scholes were never as reliant on their physicality as Shearer. He'd have not lasted as long at MUFC as he did here. He'd have been on the bench at best, something a personality like him never would've accepted.

If Shearer went to Manchester United he sadly would have scored a lot more goals than he did for us, for us he scored a hell of a lot of goals despite two massive injuries.

What utter garbage.

Shearer would have lasted 5 seasons max at Man U before Fergie booted his btackside out of the door as soon as his form slipped.

Doubt it, Shearer would have been a 10 years man at Man Utd easily, because he'd still have banged them in for fun like he did for us but just as key because he was a leader, a team-player, a strong personality. Fergie likes such characters, i.e. your Scholes', Giggs', stalwarts, real pros. Players who despite their declining form and years, he still keeps around.

The likes of Giggs and Scholes were never as reliant on their physicality as Shearer. He'd have not lasted as long at MUFC as he did here. He'd have been on the bench at best, something a personality like him never would've accepted.

He'd more than likely not have had the injury he got with us at Everton though, don't forget, so there's nothing to say he couldn't have stayed the player we signed for longer.

He'd have scored for fun at manyoo like, scary thought.

The team wouldn't have been based around him at Man U. Van Nistelrooj was signed in 2001, and he was far better than that version of Shearer.

A one dimensional striker who could score goals from inside the box. Hmmm...

Did Van Nistelrooy ever score from outside the box?

neither of those are accurate RVN wasn't one dimensional by any means and shearer could have played in any team in the world before his injury

In terms of getting different kind of goals, he was. I don't think he's ever scored from outside the box for Man Utd..... maybe just the one against Charlton in his last season, but don't quite remember if it was just inside or outside. I remember his scoring a great solo goal against Fulham, though.

He takes his goals well, no doubt about it, but not sure about his effectiveness outside the danger area.

neither of those are accurate RVN wasn't one dimensional by any means and shearer could have played in any team in the world before his injury

In terms of getting different kind of goals, he was. I don't think he's ever scored from outside the box for Man Utd..... maybe just the one against Charlton in his last season, but don't quite remember if it was just inside or outside. I remember his scoring a great solo goal against Fulham, though.

He takes his goals well, no doubt about it, but not sure about his effectiveness outside the danger area.

he had a very good all round approach play game though, he contributed a lot to their play - what i mean is you make him sound like he stood on the 18 yard line his entire career :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

What utter garbage.

Shearer wouldn't have had to rely so heavily on his physicality at Man Utd though as much as he did here where he was often our only real option or point of attack. He abused his body in many ways playing for us, often using himself as some kind of battering ram. One of the saddest yet proudest moment I've witnessed as a Toon fan was Shearer at home to Arsenal under Souness where he should have been red carded, a game he played quite ugly, but yet at the same time, threw himself into challenges that hurt him, all for the team. Fergie likes his flair players but he loves his hard men, his professionals more, that's why when any of his players start acting the billy big bollocks he gets shot. Shearer would have been a stalwart of his, another Keane but without the ego or red fuse. Again, he'd have been a 10 years man easily. As for van Nistelrooy, Shearer was a better player than him before and after his injuries, marginally so after but before, streets ahead. Fergie got rid of van Nistelrooy because he was a morose fucker behind the scenes apparently. Regarding the bench aspect, I think Shearer didn't except it here at Newcastle because he knew there was no-one better than him at scoring goals, so I'm not surprised he would never except a role on the bench here. I'm sure being part of a successful Man Utd side managed by Fergie and still contributing massively to any success would, even to a player or personality like Shearer, be more palatable for him. Shearer has said many a time no player likes to be on the bench and that he found it hard, but if the team were winning and he could stillc ontribute, it made it much easier.

he had a very good all round approach play game though, he contributed a lot to their play - what i mean is you make him sound like he stood on the 18 yard line his entire career :lol:

He had a good approach play yeah, but I don't think it was "far better" than Shearer's. In fact, Shearer's was better, imo.

He had a good approach play yeah, but I don't think it was "far better" than Shearer's. In fact, Shearer's was better, imo.

same, agreed, it was ronaldo who said that

2001 RVN was probably the better goalscorer at the stage mind

I know, I quoted him initially.

i know :lol:

i know :lol:

I know you know. :shifty:

on shearer i still don't think i ever remember an impact in the English game by an English player that first season he had with blackburn after he signed, he was fucking ridiculous man, the goals he scored at palace away (maybe opening day) will live with me forever

he was a force of fucking nature back then, similar to how rooney pitched up at everton to be fair to him

I don't

I don't what the pair of you have been sucking on, but I most certainly didn't say that.

I don't

I don't what the pair of you have been sucking on, but I most certainly didn't say that.

Err, you most certainly did. :rolleyes:

The team wouldn't have been based around him at Man U. Van Nistelrooj was signed in 2001, and he was far better than that version of Shearer.

He scored ONE goal outside the box, against Boro, and that due to a mistake by Schwarzer who let the ball tumble between his legs. RVN was a master in defeating the offside trap, and that was his forte. The best poacher I've ever seen. But like Carroll, he needs to be fed. Had he played for a weaker team, he would have struggled much more.