Rooney vs Shearer

ponsaelius

Well we're talking about goalscoring and you're downplaying him as just an "exceptional domestic-level forward".  He scored hundreds of goals in this country, 30 goals for England (including 5 in a major tournament) before retiring from international football when he was 30.  I'm presuming that you're referring to his lack of goals in the Champions League or else I haven't got a clue what you're talking about.  The debate is about goalscoring and he had an exceptional goalscoring record throughout his career.

Do people actually ever take into account the fact that Romario and Ronaldo had other world-class world cup winning talent around them in Brazil.  In the case of Ronaldo he was playing for Barcelona and Inter who had much better talent than Newcastle or England?

Well we're talking about goalscoring and you're downplaying him as just an "exceptional domestic-level forward".  He scored hundreds of goals in this country, 30 goals for England (including 5 in a major tournament) before retiring from international football when he was 30.  I'm presuming that you're referring to his lack of goals in the Champions League or else I haven't got a clue what you're talking about.  The debate is about goalscoring and he had an exceptional goalscoring record throughout his career.

But not as exceptional as some. We have to call a spade a spade.

and a plank a plank.

and a plank a plank.

I passed on that. I was going to use 'tool'. ;)

Shearer's goalscoring record stands up to Romario's tbf. Romario scored 59 goals in 105 games in Spain, Shearer 112 goals in 138 league games for Blackburn.

he's quite clearly a 10 out of 10 player for goalscoring.

Yes, they're some players better than him, doesn't mean he's only a 9. There's better players than Romario at goalscoring too, such as Ronaldo, does that mean he is only a 9 and Shearer is then knocked down to an 8?

But then Messi is an even better scorer than Ronaldo, does he get knocked down to 9, Romario to 8 and Shearer to 7? If you want to go down to that much detail you need a more detailed rating system, the whole point of rating something out of 10 is to group various players in a similar bracket, even though there'll be differences in quality between them.

:lol: Most neutrals would give him a 10 on the basis I'm using ffs.  If you're saying that only a tiny, tiny handful of players in the history of football deserve a 10 for goalscoring then fine, Shearer's a 9.  He scored goals year after year against the opposition in front of him, therefore he deserves a 10 as far as I'm concerned.  Short of joining Man Utd or Barcelona when he had the chance there's nowt more he could have done.

You can say what you like about being biased and I could say the same to you about being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

Shearer's goalscoring record stands up to Romario's tbf. Romario scored 59 goals in 105 games in Spain, Shearer 112 goals in 138 league games for Blackburn.

Yes, they're some players better than him, doesn't mean he's only a 9. There's better players than Romario at goalscoring too, such as Ronaldo, does that mean he is only a 9 and Shearer is then knocked down to an 8?

But then Messi is an even better scorer than Ronaldo, does he get knocked down to 9, Romario to 8 and Shearer to 7? If you want to go down to that much detail you need a more detailed rating system, the whole point of rating something out of 10 is to group various players in a similar bracket, even though there'll be differences in quality between them.

Spot on as usual.

Spot on as usual.

Yep.

And Ronaldo is quite clearly a better goalscorer than Shearer. It's quite laughable that someone saying Shearer deserves a 9 would provoke this much arguement. He was great, but there's no arguement for calling him the best, or as good as the best.

The players ranked 10 for goalscoring don't have to be identically equal in terms of goalscoring ability ffs. :lol:  It all depends on what proportion of players you think deserve a 10.  I personally think there's room for a few more than just Pele, Romario, Van Basten, Ronaldo, Messi and Maradona.