Aston Villa 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 17/09/11 - post-match reaction from page 42

Rich

A central midfield of Petrov and Fabian Delph was asking for trouble.  Too lightweight - they need to be packing the midfield and play Bent by himself up front.

Tiote saw more of the ball than Petrov and Delph put together.

Brummie what you saying bout the game broseph?

Nowt - didn't go, didn't see the highlights either, so am just going on what I've read, which is that our central midfield was feeble again and Tiote and the-other-bloke bossed it.

Still unbeaten, though.

I think I'm falling out of love with football. I seem totally detached from it all this season.

Bannan looked canny.

He is.

The only thing that gives me any encouragement of late (beyond the kind of "oh well, we won't go down, we won't play in the CL, but it could be worse" type) is that some of the kids look quite decent.

I keep saying this, but Gary Gardener will get his break this season and will prove to be the best of the lot.

A central midfield of Petrov and Fabian Delph was asking for trouble.  Too lightweight - they need to be packing the midfield and play Bent by himself up front.

Tiote saw more of the ball than Petrov and Delph put together.

The other thing is, this season AM seems to have decided that he wants to use Petrov as a box to box midfielder, which he patently is not any more.

For over a year now, he's looked fucked after 60 minutes, he clearly has not got the legs in him to get forward so much. This then leaves Delph to try and hold the ball in the middle. Now, Delph is a good young player, but those roles should be reversed. Doing it this way is asking for trouble.

Brummie, where do you see your lot finishing the season? You're unbeaten but based on your last 2 performances I'm not sure how. How have the other 3 games been?

Probably anywhere between 7th and 12th, I reckon.

He's made us hard to beat, which is something we'd started to do at the end of last season, and he's carried on. We've lost one of our last 15 league games. That's good.

The problem is, midfield is all wrong. N'Zogbia hasn't settled yet, Petrov is too old to be bombing back and forth, and Albrighton is still suffering from his lack of confidence he had at the end of last season. It depends what Jenas offers - yeah, yeah, I know, I know - and we'll see how it pans out till January.

I honestly think there's about 12 PL sides who could could position randomly in an end of season table, in positions 6 or 7 down, and it wouldn't really surprise anybody.

I don't mind McLeish, really. He seems a decent enough bloke, and I honestly could not give a flying one if he used to manage Blues. I'm more concerned about his two relegations there.

The thing he has got to do, though, is get us playing. it is great that Richard Dunne and even Warnock have been so successfully revived, but he's taken over a much better squad of players than he had at Blues, and he has got to get them playing some football.

it is very early days yet, so he gets the benefit of the doubt. If the current efficiency without spark thing is just him fumbling around to get things right, then I'm cool with that. If, on the other hand, this is his plan, then I am considerably less cool with it.

Of course, the irony is that, although we're uninspiring to watch, we're not much different to the way we were at home under MON for at least three years.

I didn't see him too much for you, but I was surprised you let Makoun go on loan. He's been there, what, 6 months? Would have been worth sticking with IMO.

Aye, me too. Was he ever given a chance?

Tbh, Brummie, Villa could have a pretty shit hot midfield if they were all playing to there potential (or the form they have shown for other clubs).

A midfield 5 of Zog, Ireland, Makoun, Albrighton & Petrov/Bannan/Delph SHOULD be a canny decent, young midfield (obviosly Petrov is a geriatric like).

N'zogbia Ireland Albrighton

Petrov Makoun

Obviosly theres reasons things aren't working like, but if by some Christmas miracle that ginger weasel managed to get the best out of them it could be pretty tasty.