Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Well it would have been canny to have not been forced to play Obertan and Williamson tomorrow in a crucial game that could end up being the difference between us staying up and going down, that's all.  We've had 19 days to ensure that's not the case, we're gambling on a smaller scale by leaving it late in that respect.

Guest tollemache

Ah I see... yeah it would've been great to get everything wrapped up in the first half of the window but I don't see that as a realistic expectation to hold anyone to, under any circumstances, unless we're willing to pay megabucks to make sure all question of competition over players is totally ruled out. As long as we're a normal club, and not Man City, we have to accept that a lot of our January business will tend to happen nearer to February, and I don't think that's something you can realistically ask the board to click their fingers and do anything about, so I kind of separate that from the issue of upcoming games. It's nobody's fault if we bring all our signings in on the 31st of January, really. The business of beating Reading is Pardew's. There's no question of bringing in signings before any particular game in January for me.

Guest tollemache

It's not a question of 'making up the difference'. I don't think the transfer window works that way at all. Even if we had a few more million to splash than we do, I don't think we'd end up doing most of our business til later in the month. I think they do have to 'make up the difference' in that they'd bloody well better get some bodies in by the end of the window but I don't think you can just dictate when that happens unless you have an absolute shedload of cash. And I think I'm quite believable, thanks

And if you don't think we need every possible advantage at the moment you're really in for a shock.

Imagine the buzz tomorrow if we'd started the game with a new forward, blitzed Reading and pushed on from there.  But no "There's no question of bringing in signings before any particular game in January for me".  If they gave a fuck about the club they'd have been gutted at their summer indecision by October and would have started lining things up.  They're trying to get away with the smallest possible outlay they can man, and you know it.

Guest tollemache

And if you don't think we need every possible advantage at the moment you're really in for a shock.

Imagine the buzz tomorrow if we'd started the game with a new forward, blitzed Reading and pushed on from there.  But no "There's no question of bringing in signings before any particular game in January for me".  If they gave a f*** about the club they'd have been gutted at their summer indecision by October and would have started lining things up.  They're trying to get away with the smallest possible outlay they can man, and you know it.

Very related question: Would you have advocated matching QPR's terms and getting Remy?

It's not a question of 'making up the difference'. I don't think the transfer window works that way at all. Even if we had a few more million to splash than we do, I don't think we'd end up doing most of our business til later in the month. I think they do have to 'make up the difference' in that they'd bloody well better get some bodies in by the end of the window but I don't think you can just dictate when that happens unless you have an absolute shedload of cash. And I think I'm quite believable, thanks

That's rubbish.  I'm more inclined to believe that you may have to bid £500k or so more on Jan 1st than Jan 31st perhaps, in which case you should just do it.

And anyway, we get the other argument all the time from manager and board on deadline day.  "Ah well, we were so close to the deadline that clubs were demanding ridiculous prices".  That's why we didn't even try to replace Andy Carroll after a few enquiries, risking another relegation.

You swallow everything they feed you mate, I find it very strange that an intelligent person would never question it.

Imagine the buzz tomorrow if we'd started the game with a new forward, blitzed Reading and pushed on from there.  But no "There's no question of bringing in signings before any particular game in January for me".  If they gave a f*** about the club they'd have been gutted at their summer indecision by October and would have started lining things up.  They're trying to get away with the smallest possible outlay they can man, and you know it.

Very related question: Would you have advocated matching QPR's terms and getting Remy?

Nope.

Guest tollemache

They're not feeding me anything. I'm feeding myself, honest!

There's only a small point of disagreement here. If this window passes without reinforcements, I'll be scratching my head and wondering what the fuck they were playing at over the last few months, as will you be. The only difference in my approach here is that I think the window is an animal in itself and it's not easy to control when deals do or don't happen, because there's a lot of brinksmanship on all sides and it's hard to carry deals over the line until agents have finished fleecing everyone. I don't think that's something you can just solve unless you're prepared to throw financial caution well and truly to the wind, so I think to say we should've gotten reinforcements in early in January as opposed to later in January is to underestimate what you're up against in this window.

That aside, we're in agreement - bodies must come in this month or someone has dropped a bollock

Guest tollemache

Nope.

So you accept there are sensible limits we should adhere to, and that even in this pressurised environment we have to stay true to our wage structure etc etc...? I mean I think we've pretty much covered all this but I thought I should at least reply where I've asked a question

Guest tollemache

Part of the change in my attitude from one window to the next is that I can kind of applaud sticking to your policy in any given window (especially if, as in Debuchy's case, it means you get your man later on, at the price you want) but to fluff two, and to run risks / sacrifice league performance by doing so, you've got to ignore opportunities to bend your policy a bit. Pull a Mertesacker, get some warhorse in who has no resale value. Loan someone. Pay £1m extra to make sure you have some depth, whatever it takes. But I stand by my utter indifference to us missing out on targets in the summer. I know that seems weird

edit: indifference is the wrong word. In terms of blame, maybe. I can see that happening without anyone necessarily fucking up

We're in agreement in a sense but I don't think the January market's as complex as you make it out to be, and it doesn't help that we only focus fully on 1 league and half arsed on another 2 or 3.  This will always happen, we will always only have 2 or 3 targets and if they fall through then we go with what we've got for yet another half-season.  And it will always be an excuse for the 'higher-ups' at NUFC to spend fuck-all.

An additional point is that I think these daft cunts have dug us into a hole where we should consider stopgaps, loans, short-term deals, etc.  But they won't.  Their 'principles' might end up forcing us out of the league, especially if our demoralised squad don't pick up at least 4 points from the next 2 games.

Guest tollemache

...and it'd be a huge catastrophe if that happened, not least for them because they've invested in this project... or he has.

I think we just have to hope that we have enough to get us through January. Don't budget for any reinforcements til the window ends I reckon. One win and a couple of signings would make things look a lot cosier. But... I don't think it comes down to 'principles' when those signings arrive. Sooner or later one of us will learn more about the inner workings of the transfer window and actually have a meaningful opinion about all this!

Nope.

So you accept there are sensible limits we should adhere to, and that even in this pressurised environment we have to stay true to our wage structure etc etc...? I mean I think we've pretty much covered all this but I thought I should at least reply where I've asked a question

I'm in agreement about 1 isolated situation.

I was discussing this earlier, think of Llambias' job as if he was actually tasked with improving our squad and progressing us as a football club in the short and long term (I personally doubt this is anywhere near the top of his list of priorities, but let's set that aside).

Well in that case he's failed, it doesn't matter why he's failed.  And in January he's failing, it doesn't matter why he's failing but he's failing.  In my job I get given a deadline, a budget and that's it.  If I don't meet it then I'm fucked unless I can justifiably blame it another party.  What's the difference here?  He needs to bring in players as that's the fans' expectation and he's not doing it.  We ended last summer with a smaller squad than the season just gone, despite having come off a season where we were quite clearly lucky with injuries and would have more games due to Europe.  That's negligent to the club, it's an absolute joke that they're not moving heaven and Earth to sort it now.

(especially if, as in Debuchy's case, it means you get your man later on, at the price you want)

We played Danny Simpson and James Perch there for half a season, we're now a few points off relegation.  We should have paid the price or moved on to the next target.

Guest tollemache

Just a couple of questions then...

- Do you really know he's failed in the long term?

- In your job, you're judged in that way but is that correct? Do you ever feel there might have been mitigating circumstances or do always agree that if you don't reach your targets you fucked up?

The rest of it, the moving heaven and earth... I think you know what I'm going to say, and we're going to go round in a circle. We've pretty much got a good sense of each other's stance I reckon

- That's a stupid question, how can I answer whether he's failed in the long term?

- In my job there are sometimes mitigating circumstances but one side of the fence needs to swallow it up and commit more time/money/resource to compensate.  There's sometimes a bit of debate over who does that but generally it's fairly obvious, i.e. it's one side's fault or whatever.

I think it takes us too long to do deals and we only ever seem to do one at a time.  And we only focus on a handful of markets.  It's very small-scale and if a transfer falls through we're back to square one, and at the end of the day it gives a very convenient excuse for our net spend every window to be minimal (if anything's spent at all) and for us to keep soldiering on with the same absolutely fucking shite players in the team week after week.

Guest tollemache

- Well you said his job was to take us forward in the short and long term and that he's failed

That's my only quibble now I think. We've narrowed it down to wank-all