On This Day... Personal Memories

TheGuv

Whilst old school football had its charm, most of it is clouded in sentiment. As a football fan in the 80s you were treat like s***- hemmed into tight dangerous terraces with no amenities and poor views. For kids and those under 6 foot whether you could actually see was always a gamble. The police treated fans horrendously, lumping everyone together as potentially dangerous. Plus the football was a far poorer product.

Yes everyone talks about the surges in the Gallowgate , the atmosphere and the 'banter' but it was mainly just to occupy yourself away from the fact that in the 80s NUFC were a pretty dismal football team with little cash and a crap stadium.

Would I go back to that? Not for a second.

Firstly i wish i could have experienced that in all honesty :lol:

And second: Profile Picture is fucking immense :clap: Great film

Everyone watch it...and the film

Whilst old school football had its charm, most of it is clouded in sentiment. As a football fan in the 80s you were treat like s***- hemmed into tight dangerous terraces with no amenities and poor views. For kids and those under 6 foot whether you could actually see was always a gamble. The police treated fans horrendously, lumping everyone together as potentially dangerous. Plus the football was a far poorer product.

Yes everyone talks about the surges in the Gallowgate , the atmosphere and the 'banter' but it was mainly just to occupy yourself away from the fact that in the 80s NUFC were a pretty dismal football team with little cash and a crap stadium.

Would I go back to that? Not for a second.

Agree with this 100%, a load of sentimental nonsense is talked about the 80's football experience.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, there was a passion and edginess about going to the game in those days that we'll never see again. Glad I got to see it and experience the lows that puts today's NUFC into perspective sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...
1997 Barcelona (h)

3-2 (2-0)

Champions League

Asprilla(22pen,30,48)

Luis Enrique(72), Figo(88)

To see Keith Gillespie scamper down the right and cross perfectly for Tino to complete his hat trick was more than even the most optimistic soul dare predict.

The Catalans were simply overwhelmed by a magnificent effort from the team and delirious supporters and even late goals from Enrique and Figo couldn't tarnish the occasion.

Unfortunately, reality intervened and by the return game in Spain, with our attractive play replaced by a staggeringly negative approach due to a team lacking quality attackers, confidence or seemingly, motivation.

So nearly missed that Barcelona game after working myself all day and my dad saying he wouldn't take me. I pretended I wasn't arsed but I think I ended up running after him as he went out to the car, begging to be allowed to go. :lol:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/09/18/article-0-001F98EF00000258-986_468x506.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01782/robson_1782443c.jpg

8-0 vs. Sheff Wed.

My first ever toon game was this one i was only 10 years old. Was unbelievable! Second game was the 5-1 Against Sunderland 11 years later.

2008 Confirmation was received that Newcastle striker Andy Carroll had been cautioned, but it was slightly more serious than the onfield yellow card variety.

A Northumbria police spokeswoman said:

"On Sunday 14 September police were called to the Pudding Chare to a report that a woman had been assaulted. Officers attended and a 19-year-old man was arrested and later accepted a police caution for assault."

:undecided:

one of my favourite ever away days, 4-0 at ipswich

glorious sunshine, late kick off, drinking among a lot of us for hours pre match, won an accumlator, the SBR stuff, 3 goals in 5 minutes made the away stand absolutely rock. awesome day out

• 3 weeks later...