Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

Nowt like having freedom of speech...

No-one is restricting your freedom of speech.  Freedom of speech doesn't mean (as well as there not being restrictions placed on you by the government as to what you can or can't publish or say) that private citizens are obligated to pay for you to have a platform for your views or comments or must allow you to air them on their property - be that in their house, in their pub or on their message board.

No-one is restricting your freedom of speech.  Freedom of speech doesn't mean that (as well as there not being restrictions placed on you by the government as to what you can or can't publish) that private citizens are obligated to pay for you to have a platform for your views or comments or must allow you to air them on their property, be it in their house, in their pub or on their message board.

Fair point. I still stand by the fact that had these been a disliked person nowt would have been said. It's s**** crack, it's not like I personally offended any one person on here. There was no offensive language or anything. Nevertheless, I kind of said it for a rise, and I got one, so y'kna...

For me, I struggle to be as sympathetic when someone takes their own life. It's not because I'm ignorant like some daft shite mentioned either. It's because there are many people out there who don't get the opportunity to choose life or death, and people who do have that choice shouldn't abuse it, in my opinion of course.

Regardless of that, I still feel sad about Speedo. He was a nice bloke and a quality footballer.

No-one is restricting your freedom of speech.  Freedom of speech doesn't mean that (as well as there not being restrictions placed on you by the government as to what you can or can't publish) that private citizens are obligated to pay for you to have a platform for your views or comments or must allow you to air them on their property, be it in their house, in their pub or on their message board.

Fair point. I still stand by the fact that had these been a disliked person nowt would have been said. It's s**** crack, it's not like I personally offended any one person on here. There was no offensive language or anything. Nevertheless, I kind of said it for a rise, and I got one, so y'kna...

For me, I struggle to be as sympathetic when someone takes their own life. It's not because I'm ignorant like some daft s**** mentioned either. It's because there are many people out there who don't get the opportunity to choose life or death, and people who do have that choice shouldn't abuse it, in my opinion of course.

Regardless of that, I still feel sad about Speedo. He was a nice bloke and a quality footballer.

You don't know who reads your posts on here.  You don't know that his kids, parents or wife haven't been looking around the internet to see what people are saying.

That happened to you too? Probably JH or Andy.

Not that it's appropriate to get into such a discussion in this thread, but I didn't do either. But cheers for hurling the accusation - nice to get mentioned :)

For me, I struggle to be as sympathetic when someone takes their own life. It's not because I'm ignorant like some daft s**** mentioned either. It's because there are many people out there who don't get the opportunity to choose life or death, and people who do have that choice shouldn't abuse it, in my opinion of course.

You don't know who reads your posts on here.  You don't know that his kids, parents or wife haven't been looking around the internet to see what people are saying.

It should have been moved or deleted and I should have been advised why. I might get offended when people call me a spacker or similarly a Mackem, but it wouldn't stop people calling me one, and I certainly wouldn't want them 'warned' for it...

It should have been moved or deleted and I should have been advised why. I might get offended when people call me a sp***** or similarly a Mackem, but it wouldn't stop people calling me one, and I certainly wouldn't want them 'warned' for it...

It shouldn't have needed to be moved or deleted, just think before you post.  I doubt for one minute that you were trying to offend anybody but that's not the point as people reading your post may not take it the way that you meant it to be taken.  You shouldn't take it personally, I'm sure that it was the content of your post that was the problem, not you.

I think there's often a lot of hyper sensitivity at times like this. People are overly scrutinising the Speed tributes for the slightest thing. Bendtner has been pulled for smirking at the ref dropping his whistle and there's been comments about Enrique looking bored during the tribute at Chelsea v Liverpool.

It's all a bit silly really. The football community's to Gary has been very good and worthy of credit rather than searching for the merest non conformity.

Does this count?

@alex_crook Alex Goring Crook

Disgusted one of Gary Speed's ex teammates asked for money to contribute to tribute TV feature today. High profile too

38 minutes ago

:undecided:

greedy bastards

Does this count?

Disgusted one of Gary Speed's ex teammates asked for money to contribute to tribute TV feature today. High profile too

38 minutes ago

:undecided:

Someone tweeted him, asking if he was going to name and shame, his reply:

Alex Goring Crook

@ACarrollSmith very tempted might yet do it.

Your posts always stay unread for me no matter how often I read them.

Same!

Heh, I deleted that because I thought it must have been just me. Used to be Bimpy. Must be a database quirk.

That happened to you too? Probably JH or Andy.

Not that it's appropriate to get into such a discussion in this thread, but I didn't do either. But cheers for hurling the accusation - nice to get mentioned :)

Speculation, not an accusation.

I only found about this on sunday an e-mail listing news i'd missed while I'd been on fieldwork. Find it very upsetting, just such a shock. Days later i can't stop flicking through photos and remembering goals. The one he pulled back at Anfield before shearer equalised, against spurs in 00 just after i'd moved to new seat and he celebrated right in front of us. The time i was on a course at Darsley Park and he was jogging with other injured players and i had to collect the ball from near him - stood in awe. Seeing him go off at Anfield after 1-1 thinking it was probably his last game, and then seeing him for Bolton and it being clear he had more in him.

It's so much different with players than other 'celebrity' deaths. I didn't know him but I saw this guy up close week-in/out for 6 years. The sort of comments made about him seem those that are said about any dead person - great professional, lovely guy etc. but they all seemed really especially true about Speed. Was hoping he'd do well at Wales and be Newcastle manager one day.

Looking at pic of him and Bobby. I'm only 22 and can't believe i''ve already seen two of a core of one of our great teams already gone.

I know their careers at the club and beyond were like chalk and cheese which makes Speeds seem all the more shocking a tragedy, but I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of Davies in the papers or anywhere.

Considering the Swansea game in particular is the focus of our tributes, does anyone else feel a there should maybe also be a some kind of a nod to him as well?

I know their careers at the club and beyond were like chalk and cheese which makes Speeds seem all the more shocking a tragedy, but I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of Davies in the papers or anywhere.

Considering the Swansea game in particular is the focus of our tributes, does anyone else feel a there should maybe also be a some kind of a nod to him as well?

Who Davies?

Who Davies?

Simon Davies?

Who Davies?

Alan, he played for us in the mid eighties and took his own life aged 30.

Who Davies?

Alan, he played for us in the mid eighties and took his own life aged 30.

Yes, sorry SG and Kanji86. Alan Davies. Had a spell with us before transferring to Swansea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Davies_(footballer)