Newcastle United 0 - 0 Swansea City - 17/12/11 - post-match reaction from pg 26

Dave

I said before the game hopefully swansea dont go defensive and thats exactly what they did.

Did the same to liverpool & Arsenal.

Absolutely incorrect there. At Liverpool and Arsenal we played more possessive and attacking football.

The reason we were defensive this game was simply we were pushed back and had to be. You forced us further back and pressed us up high whenever we had the ball, this forced us into more passing mistakes than the usual games we play.

The best substitution for Swansea was when Best went off.

Disappointing today - I thought we lacked a good tempo and also genuine creativity. It was crying out for Ben Arfa in the 2nd half and as to why Pardew didn't fetch him on is beyond me. ??? The lad needs to start on Wednesday v West Brom and I'd also probably chuck in Vuckic alongside Tiote. Thought Obertan started brightly, but reverted to type and kept on drifting inside of the fullback everytime he had the ball. He has the pace to get around on the outside, so why doesn't he do it?

Overall it's been a good start to the season, but we must push on from here and investment is needed in January. A new striker, a DC as well as keeping Tiote and Colo are a must. Owt less than that and we'll end up falling to mid-table. It's all up to Mike Ashley as ever.

I said before the game hopefully swansea dont go defensive and thats exactly what they did.

Absolutely incorrect there. At Liverpool and Arsenal we played more possessive and attacking football.

The reason we were defensive this game was simply we were pushed back and had to be. You forced us further back and pressed us up high whenever we had the ball, this forced us into more passing mistakes than the usual games we play.

or to put it another way.....Shola coming on :)

I thought Augstien for Gower was an excellent change.

Was classic Shola today. Came on, made one run then barely moved for the rest of the game and proceeded to foul and lose possession. Was the perfect game for Ben Arfa , not to throw on your classic English battering ram. I don't think Shola won a single header when he came on.

shola is the most classic english battering ram , just like perch is the quintessential commanding centre half. ( yes i know you were being sarcastic.)

i dont know what shola is, sometimes he has moments of brilliance.  then other times (most of the time) he is just a turd.

I can tolerate Shola more than most at times but i just didn't get the decision today. We didn't need to lump it forward we just needed a key to unlock their defence and bringing Ben Arfa on and linking play with Cabaye and Ba would have given us something new.

I just simply don't understand why he has been completely left out since Chelsea. He didnt even have a terrible game against Chelsea it was just there was no space in that game and chelsea are incredibly strong in the center of midfield so nulified his threat. Something must have kicked off between them it's the only reason i can think he has been frozen out of late.

either something kicked off or not i dont know but he did play very badly vs chelsea,  he didnt have space because he didnt move.  and when he did have the ball he just hogged it until he lost it, everything he did (or didnt)  was just wrong,

whatever it was he must have pissed the manager off pretty badly to get subbed at half time.  you saw how he over reacted when rooney kicked out at colo at old trafford when everybody was cool becuase it wasnt really that bad. 

can you imagine how he controls himself in the changing room, when pardew gave him a dressing down after half time after that shower of shyte he displayed in the first half.

Credit to Swansea like, time wasting aside (but who doesn't)  I'd far prefer you's in the league than some of the other cloggers. More than deserved your point today IMO.

I thought Augstien for Gower was an excellent change.

i thought that little umpa lumpa that played infront of thier defence was quite classy, brittain i think he was called.

"I really can't complain too much about my side. We stopped them playing, which was the aim, to put them under pressure and force errors, which we did.

"The first half was our better half, for sure. We got in behind and we created chances, we put balls into the box.

"But they haven't got seven clean sheets for nothing. There is a good spirit in the Swansea team and although they didn't keep possession like they would have liked, they defended very, very well and the goalie looked strong.

"Everything we tried to do, they seemed to have an answer. But having said that, with a little break here and there, we would have got the goal and I think we would have won this game.

"But overall, I'm actually not that disappointed. I thought we played well."

"We played well, in my opinion. We looked a strong side and on another afternoon, if one of those had gone in in the first half, we could sitting here saying a very different story."

"I really can't complain too much about my side. We stopped them playing, which was the aim, to put them under pressure and force errors, which we did.

"The first half was our better half, for sure. We got in behind and we created chances, we put balls into the box.

"But they haven't got seven clean sheets for nothing. There is a good spirit in the Swansea team and although they didn't keep possession like they would have liked, they defended very, very well and the goalie looked strong.

"Everything we tried to do, they seemed to have an answer. But having said that, with a little break here and there, we would have got the goal and I think we would have won this game.

"But overall, I'm actually not that disappointed. I thought we played well."

"We played well, in my opinion. We looked a strong side and on another afternoon, if one of those had gone in in the first half, we could sitting here saying a very different story."

pards putting on a brave face  :iamatwat:

"I really can't complain too much about my side. We stopped them playing, which was the aim, to put them under pressure and force errors, which we did

"

With all due respect to Swansea, Pardew sounds like he's talking about some big hitting side. I would even understand if he'd been saying this after a game away at their place. It's still Swansea City ffs, and our aim should be to win at home no matter what. What about the 2nd half Mr. Pardew?

"I really can't complain too much about my side. We stopped them playing, which was the aim, to put them under pressure and force errors, which we did

"

With all due respect to Swansea, Pardew sounds like he's talking about some big hitting side. I would even understand if he'd been saying this after a game away at their place. It's still Swansea City ffs, and our aim should be to win at home no matter what. What about the 2nd half Mr. Pardew?

i doubt he would have said those things in the dressing room after the game, no doubt shola and one or two would have got a dressing down after the game. 

id rather him saying nice things about swansea then slagging his own team off in public.

"

i doubt he would have said those things in the dressing room after the game, no doubt shola and one or two would have got a dressing down after the game. 

id rather him saying nice things about swansea then slagging his own team off in public.

This. :thup:

And, what exactly should he be saying?

I have no problem with the rest of what he said. Swansea did defend well, and were worth their point no doubt. I have no problem with him praising them whatsoever. The paragraph I quoted made it sound like our game plan was to contain them rather than go for the jugular. It's a sentiment I'd understand if we'd been playing away, or been playing a big side. Not Swansea at home, who've gained all of 2 points away all season!

And, what exactly should he be saying?

I have no problem with the rest of what he said. Swansea did defend well, and were worth their point no doubt. I have no problem with him praising them whatsoever. The paragraph I quoted made it sound like our game plan was to contain them rather than go for the jugular. It's a sentiment I'd understand if we'd been playing away, or been playing a big side. Not Swansea at home, who've gained all of 2 points away all season!

Fair enough. Agree with you here. :thup:

anyone know if Best is injured?  it looked more of a precaution sub after the shoulder bardge by that swansea defender, and it was his first game for a while maybe was tired.

At least we got the FK, oh wait the ref missed it as he did all fucking afternoon. Saying that his "assistant" on the Milburn side was even worse.

anyone know if Best is injured?  it looked more of a precaution sub after the shoulder bardge by that swansea defender, and it was his first game for a while maybe was tired.

Reckon he was running on empty by the time he was taken off. Looked fine to me.

i hope you're right, he was whining about his shoulder after that collision, hope he's fine, he was very effective today.

At least we got the FK, oh wait the ref missed it as he did all f***ing afternoon. Saying that his "assistant" on the Milburn side was even worse.

"lineswoman"

i thought she was the highlight of the game  :pedro:

Absolutely garbage result, obviously, but it sounds like the performance wasn't horrendous and we'd have lost that in years gone by. Disappointing but i wouldn't be surprised to see us bounce back with a win against WBA.

If you're right then we should expect a different performance on Wednesday.

Absolutely garbage result, obviously, but it sounds like the performance wasn't horrendous and we'd have lost that in years gone by. Disappointing but i wouldn't be surprised to see us bounce back with a win against WBA.

We wouldn't have lost the game in years gone by, I don't think Swansea had a shot all game.

It you're right then we should expect a different performance on Wednesday.

we played well today to be fair, except the last 30 mins perhaps.

you mean a different perfomance from pardew?  yeh hopefully better subs, but i hope we dont need to rely on subs next game.