Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

I might be completely wrong here, but I have seen us play good passing football on a number of occasions this season (certainly more than under Hughton).

When?

Blackburn at home in the league and cup, Fulham at home second half, Wolves away first half, Fulham away first half, Man Utd at home for parts, Villa at home second half, Man Utd away, Chelsea at home in patches, Swansea at home without creating many clear cut chances, Everton at home first half....... plenty of times this season we have played good football.

... The main problem might actually be that we can't seem to do it for a whole game.

I would add QPR  for an hour and Villa away to that list as well.

HBA isn't a "show pony" at all, what a stupid phrase.

Of course he is, he is a "luxury" player that needs a lot of people around him to work their arses off so he can have a free role and do what he needs to do. But you can't run a whole team around 1 player, it just doesn't work.

We have got where we are with a magnificent team work ethic.  Ben Arfa would be much more suited to a team that can just afford to give him the freedom he needs, which is probably not going to be for a team in the Premiership.  Yes he is an amazing talent, but when I watch him, I just don't get the feeling he fits in with what we are trying to do.

Yes a class player, but when we are not prepared to run the team around him and ask him to fit in with what we want to do, he looks like he is struggling.

I would be with you all and demanding he was playing if we were struggling, but we are having the best season in a long long time, so unfortunately there is no real argument to start him yet.

You're wrong there.

I do like a reply that is backed up with facts and points to try and add to the discussion.  Well done you, you are right you have made me change my mind.

What's Obertan's goals and assists ratio per starts compared to Ben Arfa's?

Guest reefatoon

Of course he is, he is a "luxury" player that needs a lot of people around him to work their arses off so he can have a free role and do what he needs to do. But you can't run a whole team around 1 player, it just doesn't work.

We have got where we are with a magnificent team work ethic.  Ben Arfa would be much more suited to a team that can just afford to give him the freedom he needs, which is probably not going to be for a team in the Premiership.  Yes he is an amazing talent, but when I watch him, I just don't get the feeling he fits in with what we are trying to do.

Yes a class player, but when we are not prepared to run the team around him and ask him to fit in with what we want to do, he looks like he is struggling.

I would be with you all and demanding he was playing if we were struggling, but we are having the best season in a long long time, so unfortunately there is no real argument to start him yet.

You're wrong there.

I do like a reply that is backed up with facts and points to try and add to the discussion.  Well done you, you are right you have made me change my mind.

I agree Obertan doesn't look the answer in the long run, but he is a right winger, for me Ben Arfa isn't. Having Ben Arfa pigeon holed to the right wing does not seem to suit him at all.  For me if he was to play in a 4-4-2 it would have to be on the left.  Personally I would like to see him out on the left with Jonas on the right (since Jonas is infact right footed).  I remember last year we started away to Man City like that, and I was excited at the prospect of it, and then came along De jong to spoil it all.

Personally for me that is the only place I would play Ben Arfa, he isn't a striker and he cuts inside far too much when on the right.

The fact that Obertan and Raylor get matches before HBA says a lot!

I can`t really be angry this season, but the way Pardew goes about HBA kills me.

Most technical gifted player we have, and he does not give him a chance.

Yes, he was crap at Brighton and Blackburn, but Obertan get 15+ matches, week in week out. Depressing really.

Just to think we have had a player like HBA in our squad, and not give him a fair long spell in the team really boils my p*ss!

Get a grip Pardew!

Yes Pardew, get a grip!!  You have taken this team to within 1 point of a champions league spot, but you are not playing our show pony all the time, doesn't matter that the team is doing great things without him, we demand he plays!!

FFS man up will you.

:lol:

Either you are dumb, or can not read.

I think Pardew have done a excellent job, bar the HBAgate.

It is clear for everyone to see that he offer more than Obertan Raylor etc.

It is his job to integrate this kind of players, to take us even another step up.

Cronaldo was pretty crap at first in manu, dribbled all the time, he even dared to lose the ball at times  :tickedoff:

Ferguson worked with him, was determined to make him a good squad player for them. It did eventually happen.

Some people, like you settle for what you have, but you should always strive for perfection. And my point is that we have a really good squad, and we have a x-factor in HBA who in my opinion could push us even future.

But we probably should stick with Simpson on RB, Obertan LM and i am disappointed that we bought Cisse, we where fifth with Ba and Ameobi.

You're wrong there.

I agree Obertan doesn't look the answer in the long run, but he is a right winger, for me Ben Arfa isn't. Having Ben Arfa pigeon holed to the right wing does not seem to suit him at all.  For me if he was to play in a 4-4-2 it would have to be on the left.  Personally I would like to see him out on the left with Jonas on the right (since Jonas is infact right footed).  I remember last year we started away to Man City like that, and I was excited at the prospect of it, and then came along De jong to spoil it all.

Personally for me that is the only place I would play Ben Arfa, he isn't a striker and he cuts inside far too much when on the right.

I'm not sure what you're watching if you think Obertan is a winger. There's rarely ANYTHING 'wingerish' about him.

How often (you can just think back to Villa if you like) have you seen him get the ball, face a slow FB, move forward with the ball at a moderate pace, allow another oppostion player to track across so now there's 2 men on him, have a look inside, only then realise someone else has showed up, look outside again, barely accelerate, get near the byline, right turn towards the corner flag, turn right again, have a look for Simpson, thankfully get rid of the ball.

Aye, got 'winger' written all over him....

Guest reefatoon

I can`t really be angry this season, but the way Pardew goes about HBA kills me.

Yes, he was crap at Brighton and Blackburn, but Obertan get 15+ matches, week in week out. Depressing really.

Just to think we have had a player like HBA in our squad, and not give him a fair long spell in the team really boils my p*ss!

Get a grip Pardew!

Yes Pardew, get a grip!!  You have taken this team to within 1 point of a champions league spot, but you are not playing our show pony all the time, doesn't matter that the team is doing great things without him, we demand he plays!!

FFS man up will you.

It is his job to integrate this kind of players, to take us even another step up.

Cronaldo was pretty crap at first in manu, dribbled all the time, he even dared to lose the ball at times  :tickedoff:

Ferguson worked with him, was determined to make him a good squad player for them. It did eventually happen.

Some people, like you settle for what you have, but you should always strive for perfection. And my point is that we have a really good squad, and we have a x-factor in HBA who in my opinion could push us even future.

But we probably should stick with Simpson on RB, Obertan LM and i am disappointed that we bought Cisse, we where fifth with Ba and Ameobi.

what a weird post??

What HBAgate? What you on about?  Just because he isn't playing?  He isn't playing because he isn't fitting into the system, it's that simple.

He didn't look like he was offering more that Raylor or Obertan to me in his last 3 games, he looked lost and shite to be honest.

He is not on the same level as Ronaldo so we can put that one to bed straight away.  He is talented but not a world beater.

Yes your opinion is the x-factor Ben arfa (??), but it isn't mine.

Obertan has not played LM, and why would anyone be disappointed we bought Cisse?  I never said we should not sign anyone as we are 5th, I said why mess around with the formation when it is working for us how it is?  Why are people having trouble understanding that part?

Guest reefatoon

You're wrong there.

I'm not sure what you're watching if you think Obertan is a winger. There's rarely ANYTHING 'wingerish' about him.

How often (you can just think back to Villa if you like) have you seen him get the ball, face a slow FB, move forward with the ball at a moderate pace, allow another oppostion player to track across so now there's 2 men on him, have a look inside, only then realise someone else has showed up, look outside again, barely accelerate, get near the byline, right turn towards the corner flag, turn right again, have a look for Simpson, thankfully get rid of the ball.

just because you think he is s*** doesn't mean he isn't a winger mate.  Franz Carr and Wayne Fereday were classed as wingers too don't forget.

You're wrong there.

just because you think he is s*** doesn't mean he isn't a winger mate.

He rarely takes on a full back on the outside, can't cross from deep, on the run or from the byline and his best game was arguably the half vs Arsenal where he played in the free role. 

Apart from that and what Lotus said, he looks like an out and out winger.

Why is Pardew using the phrase "He isn't out of the picture yet"? What sort of message is that?

:frantic:

Just don't get it. Was there a risk of him being permanently out of the first team? He makes it sound dramatic and definite.

Wouldn't worry too much about it.  I like the bloke but he has an odd turn of phrase and says some right shite in interviews.

"54, 53 thousand Geordies or whatever it is"

"We WAS unlucky today"

"We didn't have that burst in the first half, when you lack burst, you're always going to struggle"

"The Ameobi's are lovely lads and you know err the Ameobi's are well and dusted at this club"

Just some off the top of me head that had me goosed and laughing when I heard them  :lol:

Guest Dontooner

I might be completely wrong here, but I have seen us play good passing football on a number of occasions this season (certainly more than under Hughton). It's not a case of Pardew being a "hoof ball" manager. He just wants to win. We have played direct at times (maybe 60% of the time across all games), but there is a big difference between "hoof" football and working the ball into wide areas and putting crosses in the box. Ben Arfa can still fit into this team no problem, but I agree with Pardew's current decision to drop him.

Aye i said "Hoof and Cross" footy, not just hoof" . Come on we might be winning games but it doesnt cover the fact we play 60% hoof ball. No player that plays pass and move would strive in our system, Mata, Sliva etc just name them ...Never mind Ben Arfa (tbh even Cayabe is limited by his style to a tackler)

It would not work , its probably better if we sold him and get a hell of a crosser like Solano to play in Pardew's system. I am fine with us playing this way, but just don't come out and spout nonsense about us trying to play carpet football when we obviously ain't and Pardew obviously can't.

Guest hatem garrincha

I might be completely wrong here, but I have seen us play good passing football on a number of occasions this season (certainly more than under Hughton). It's not a case of Pardew being a "hoof ball" manager. He just wants to win. We have played direct at times (maybe 60% of the time across all games), but there is a big difference between "hoof" football and working the ball into wide areas and putting crosses in the box. Ben Arfa can still fit into this team no problem, but I agree with Pardew's current decision to drop him.

Aye i said "Hoof and Cross" footy, not just hoof" . Come on we might be winning games but it doesnt cover the fact we play 60% hoof ball. No player that plays pass and move would strive in our system, Mata, Sliva etc just name them ...Never mind Ben Arfa (tbh even Cayabe is limited by his style to a tackler)

It would not work , its probably better if we sold him and get a hell of a crosser like Solano to play in Pardew's system. I am fine with us playing this way, but just don't come out and spout nonsense about us trying to play carpet football when we obviously ain't and Pardew obviously can't.

Agree about Cabaye. He never played as defensively (and deep) in his career (even if he'svery good also in that position. Blanc is playing him there for France too)

Guest Dontooner

Get a grip Pardew!

FFS man up will you.

Sounds like a glory monger to me, if the results doesnt come your way ,probably flip your switch faster than a coin hit by a train.

Look at the fundamentals on the pitch, are we create more chances then our oppositions? Or do we often hang by our teeth ever too often.

Get a grip Pardew!

FFS man up will you.

what a weird post??

What HBAgate? What you on about?  Just because he isn't playing?  He isn't playing because he isn't fitting into the system, it's that simple.

He didn't look like he was offering more that Raylor or Obertan to me in his last 3 games, he looked lost and shite to be honest.

He is not on the same level as Ronaldo so we can put that one to bed straight away.  He is talented but not a world beater.

Obertan has not played LM, and why would anyone be disappointed we bought Cisse?  I never said we should not sign anyone as we are 5th, I said why mess around with the formation when it is working for us how it is?  Why are people having trouble understanding that part?

So how does Obertan fit the system then? I don't get you.

How many assist/goals do HBA have, and Obertan?

How many matches have Obertan been turbo shit?

If we had a freaking good traditional RM, i could understand.

But we don`t, and i can not see why HBA should not get the same chances as Obertan.

I rate HBA higher than Obertan, and i understand if you don`t, people are different.

And sorry, should stand RM, my bad :lol:

Ronaldo example was not a comparison of pure skill.

Its more that they are the same kind of players. Flair, speed, technique.

Players that are a little harder to integrate into a starting 11, because they are not the extremely hard workers by nature, you might need other players to cover more for them.

The benefit with these kind of players however is great, but only if you are a good manager, and can adapt them into your system. Maybe Pardew has a limit there?

Guest Dontooner

I might be completely wrong here, but I have seen us play good passing football on a number of occasions this season (certainly more than under Hughton).

When?

Blackburn at home in the league and cup, Fulham at home second half, Wolves away first half, Fulham away first half, Man Utd at home for parts, Villa at home second half, Man Utd away, Chelsea at home in patches, Swansea at home without creating many clear cut chances, Everton at home first half....... plenty of times this season we have played good football.

... The main problem might actually be that we can't seem to do it for a whole game.

I would add QPR  for an hour and Villa away to that list as well.

We might have possession but we dont seem to know what to do with it progressively most of the time. We rely mainly on wide crosses and dont open team up enough with passing.

Guest reefatoon

Get a grip Pardew!

FFS man up will you.

Sounds like a glory monger to me, if the results doesnt come your way ,probably flip your switch faster than a coin hit by a train.

Look at the fundamentals on the pitch, are we create more chances then our oppositions? Or do we often hang by our teeth ever too often.

Yes, yes thats it, I don't agree with you so I am a glory monger, even though I have been going to the games since 1983, the one thing I have never seen much of is glory, believe me.

I am also man enough to say I have been wrong about Ben Arfa, if he does come into the team and turn out to be our saviour.  But I am not gonna do it until he has shown it, We can't demand him in the team because you think he is lush.

just because you think he is s*** doesn't mean he isn't a winger mate.  Franz Carr and Wayne Fereday were classed as wingers too don't forget.

Fereday and Carr were also shit regardless of how they were classed.

Guest reefatoon

Get a grip Pardew!

FFS man up will you.

what a weird post??

He didn't look like he was offering more that Raylor or Obertan to me in his last 3 games, he looked lost and s**** to be honest.

So how does Obertan fit the system then? I don't get you.

How many assist/goals do HBA have, and Obertan?

How many matches have Obertan been turbo s***?

If we had a freaking good traditional RM, i could understand.

But we don`t, and i can not see why HBA should not get the same chances as Obertan.

I rate HBA higher than Obertan, and i understand if you don`t, people are different.

And sorry, should stand RM, my bad :lol:

Ronaldo example was not a comparison of pure skill.

Its more that they are the same kind of players. Flair, speed, technique.

Players that are a little harder to integrate into a starting 11, because they are not the extremely hard workers by nature, you might need other players to cover more for them.

The benefit with these kind of players however is great, but only if you are a good manager, and can adapt them into your system. Maybe Pardew has a limit there?

Why we having an Obertan and Hatem Ben Arfa cock swinging competion for?  I am not saying Obertan is a better player, I am saying Obertan is a right Winger and Ben Arfa isn't.  He can be as talented as he likes, but Ben Arfa is not a right winger, and I don't like to see square pegs in round holes.

It's shit from Pardew to keep having a go at Ben Arfa in the press while playing a largely ineffective Obertan and telling the fans to love Shola.  I've got no problem with wanting more from any player, to keep singling Ben Arfa out is a character flaw and backs up him failing to play Tevez while at West Ham, he doesn't seem able to bring out the best of a flair player, very much like Souness.

He seems to have standards for some players while not having the same standards for others.

Guest reefatoon

Fereday and Carr were also s*** regardless of how they were classed.

Exactly right, that's what I am saying.  If you looked at Shola's CV you will also see it says "striker" on it.  Just because we think they are rubbish doesn't mean that's not the position they play.

It's shit from Pardew to keep having a go at Ben Arfa in the press while playing a largely ineffective Obertan and telling the fans to love Shola.  I've got no problem with wanting more from any player, to keep singling Ben Arfa out is a character flaw and backs up him failing to play Tevez while at West Ham, he doesn't seem able to bring out the best of a flair player, very much like Souness.

He seems to have standards for some players while not having the same standards for others.

To be fair to Pardew, he is probably expected to come up with a reason as to why Ben Arfa didn't play every single time he is left out. Everyone knows he's one of our most talented players, so questions are asked.