Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

I can't see any end result other than Ben Arfa's departure by next season. In the matches he's played we've generally been under strength and he's struggled to adapt to our long ball game which is mostly what we've played if we are honest about it. Now that Cisse is here I can't see us finding a place for him, especially as Pardew has sort of hinted that he's a bit of a high maintenance player.

He's a very gifted player no doubt but I just don't see him fitting our current style of play, and by the time Cabaye and Tiote are back I think he'll be out of the reckoning.

I think Obertan will ensure HBA gets at least another 3/4 game run before the end of the season.

Guest VaVaVoom

I can't see any end result other than Ben Arfa's departure by next season. In the matches he's played we've generally been under strength and he's struggled to adapt to our long ball game which is mostly what we've played if we are honest about it. Now that Cisse is here I can't see us finding a place for him, especially as Pardew has sort of hinted that he's a bit of a high maintenance player.

He's a very gifted player no doubt but I just don't see him fitting our current style of play, and by the time Cabaye and Tiote are back I think he'll be out of the reckoning.

I know what you mean but Barfa doesnt play in any of Cabaye, Tiote or Cisse's position does he?

It really is quite simple really. Start him wide right or wide left or alternate him and Jonas.

I do think that once we have our CM pairing back we will see Barfa given a good run out wide.

How crazy is it that he'd have been playing a ton more if not that knock in the KC friendly that set him back completely.  I'd hate to see him anywhere else as i think he has much to prove but like you, I fail to see him fit in anywhere tbh. 

Guest hatem garrincha

I tend to agree...unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong.

But to be frank, how many times has HBA really had the chance to show his work ethic? Over a period of time, obviously he hasn't. And I agree with what has been said above, Jonas loses the ball just as much as he basically only has 1 dribble, but he covers for it in his madass Kuyt runs up and down the line. Without Cabaye, we don't have any midfielder with vision basically and I for one, think we need it.

Jonas was actually at fault for his ball drop at the AV goal yesterday...

Although I do think HBA will leave in the summer, which is kinda sad, because if he leaves we got no player with flair left and with the way Pardew thinks and buys we wount get one either.

I might be wrong but I just feel that Jonas and Obertan are the type of players who Pardew prefers for their work rate and probably a lot less opinionated which makes them easier to handle as part of the group. HBA's tried hard tbf but he's a little worky ticket and he's going to throw a strop sooner or later isn't he?

As much as I love HBA I think he's the closest player we have in our current squad who we can compare to Laurent Robert.

Their playing styles are worlds apart but when either of them have the ball anything is possible, but the work rate if they dont have the ball isn't up to the standards of those around them.

Equally I think Pardew's treatment of HBA is a little similar to Souness' treatment on Robert although I genuinely believe Pardew is trying to get HBA to raise his game as opposed to Souness who didn't like players with skill.

From Lee Ryder's webchat :

I think if they got a decent cash bid for HBA they'd take it. He's a player that needs constant attention. NUFC prefer grafters like Ryan Taylor and Leon Best. That's the truth.

:anguish:

Like Shola? What a fucking idiot.

He's right though, decent bid and he's gone, only player that doesn't fit right now.

Shame it's heading down this route. 14 games to save his nufc career and I reckon Obertan will start ahead of him for the forseeable.

Best thing that could happen to HBA is Jonas pick up an injury.

He's very much a joker in the pack. Capable of brilliance but such a mercurial layer, it's difficult to shoe horn him into the team. I give the lad a hell of a lot of credit for coming back from the injury but so far this season, his performances have been pretty average, albeit sprinkled with the odd moment of genius.

FWIW, I think he'll be off in the summer.

I might be wrong but I just feel that Jonas and Obertan are the type of players who Pardew prefers for their work rate and probably a lot less opinionated which makes them easier to handle as part of the group. HBA's tried hard tbf but he's a little worky ticket and he's going to throw a strop sooner or later isn't he?

Not really a great approach to just going around expecting the worst of people is it?

Ben Arfa has done nothing wrong since signing for us, nothing. He came back from injury, Pardew (quite rightly, tbf) said that he needs to work harder for the team. Ben Arfa responds by doing just that, I didn't see the Blackburn game but the QPR, Fulham and Brighton games I couldn't fault his workrate at all to be honest.

Yet as soon as he has a couple of unproductive games he's back on the bench. Just seems a bit harsh to me, especially when Pardew has been much more patient with other players this year.

Every time Pardew talks about our best players he mentions him. When we signed Cissé he talked of his excitement of adding him to 'Ba, Cabaye, Ben Arfa'. Strange that he mentions Hatem instead of features in the team like Obertan and Jonas.

Wish he'd just man up and play him regularly - his runs in the side have coincided with us playing either the top teams in the country, having key players out, adopting a new system or by simply throwing him on from the bench. His best game of the season was wide right of a 4-4-2 in the cup and yet we haven't seen it since. He talks like he rates him highly, praises his goal as the best thing he's ever seen and even commends his workrate recently - yet he seems to be contriving circumstances where he's gonna struggle to impact or get any kind of momentum going in the team.

I agree Shak, and that's what I feel is missing here. A long run of games for HBA on the wing (if that's where Pardew feels he's fitting) to use with 2 strikers. Didn't Obertan play almost half of the first campaign on the wing and produced close to 0?

I'm not really sure what AP thinks of HBA really, it seems like whatever he says and HBA responds, AP benches him.... makes no sense, so as I said earlier, I think he's off, unfortunately.

I've a feeling Pardew's just making him want it even more - so that when he does become a regular (which i think he will be next season), he'll do absolutely everything to stay there and do the best for the side. A trait, by many accounts, HBA hasn't harboured at earlier points in his career. The guy hasn't been treated badly - it's not a Roeder/N'Zogbia situation yet - he's got no right to kick up a fuss yet. Not that i'm suggesting he is.

There's been points where i've snarled at a Ben Arfa-less teamsheet, but i'm still not worried about the situation at all. The growing French-speaking connection will do us plenty favours, too. Him, Ba, Cisse, Obertan, Cabaye, Marveaux, Abeid... all have French as their first language. The latest signing will only aid the fantastic camaraderie we already have.

He'll still be here next season and i think he'll be a key player come next Christmas.

Guest VaVaVoom

I've a feeling Pardew's just making him want it even more - so that when he does become a regular (which i think he will be next season), he'll do absolutely everything to stay there and do the best for the side. A trait, by many accounts, HBA hasn't harboured at earlier points in his career. The guy hasn't been treated badly - it's not a Roeder/N'Zogbia situation yet - he's got no right to kick up a fuss yet. Not that i'm suggesting he is.

There's been points where i've snarled at a Ben Arfa-less teamsheet, but i'm still not worried about the situation at all. The growing French-speaking connection will do us plenty favours, too. Him, Ba, Cisse, Obertan, Cabaye, Marveaux, Abeid... all have French as their first language. The latest signing will only aid the fantastic camaraderie we already have.

He'll still be here next season and i think he'll be a key player come next Christmas.

I enjoy readin your posts like. ;)

I think Pardew knows what a difference this season plus a proper pre-season will have. Just look at the difference in Steven Taylor coming into this season after a full pre-season, totally different player.

Good teams don't just stick with the same system/tactics game in game out, they change it where necessary so he;ll come into the team at different points. The team is still evolving and with the addition of the two Dembas up front that will really stretch midfields and defences. Throw Ben Arfa into that mix and he'll have even more space to operate and run at people, a frightening thought really.

I'm still confident that he'll have a big impact here.

I love all the excuses made for the way Pardew is handling Ben Arfa . :lol: The facts speak for themselves, Ben Arfa has produced far more for us than Obertan has and he hasn't had the luxury of getting a run of games,

I love all the excuses made for the way Pardew is handling Ben Arfa . :lol: The facts speak for themselves, Ben Arfa has produced far more for us than Obertan has and he hasn't had the luxury of getting a run of games,

True, but it isn't as simple as that. Pardew has to consider the overall sum of the parts. Whether he's right or wrong is debatable, but it's not as simple as you're making out. And I love Ben Arfa.

Not really a great approach to just going around expecting the worst of people is it?

Ben Arfa has done nothing wrong since signing for us, nothing. He came back from injury, Pardew (quite rightly, tbf) said that he needs to work harder for the team. Ben Arfa responds by doing just that, I didn't see the Blackburn game but the QPR, Fulham and Brighton games I couldn't fault his workrate at all to be honest.

Yet as soon as he has a couple of unproductive games he's back on the bench. Just seems a bit harsh to me, especially when Pardew has been much more patient with other players this year.

When I say he's going to throw a strop, I just mean I don't think he's the type of player who will be happy to sit on the bench indefinitely. He seems to be a very proud type and being part of the first team will matter more to him than say Perch or Ryan Taylor. I know we are doing well but I hope he finds a way into the first 11 for a few games before the season's out. For all his tendency to hold the ball too long, he has some serious talent and that all too elusive end product. I find it hard to believe there isn't a place for such a talent in our team no matter how good the recent results.

Just doesn't see him in a 442 imho. This has been partly veiled by the ACOn and Oberruns being shit, but I agree with you in the sense I get the feeling Hatem is starting from scratch everytime.

True, but it isn't as simple as that. Pardew has to consider the overall sum of the parts. Whether he's right or wrong is debatable, but it's not as simple as you're making out. And I love Ben Arfa.

What does Obertan add to the sum of the parts?  Don't tell me it's his pace because he hardly ever uses it during a game, I think I've seen a good turn of raw pace from him 4 or 5 times and it has ended up with him making 2 blocks and he's scored 1 goal.  Far too often he'll beat his man then allow the opposition to catch him up and he'll end up hitting the ball at the defender.  How many minutes of football will that work out per goal or per block?

Nothing has come out about anything having happened regarding Ben Arfa in training or away from the club so it has to be down to football.

Obertan lost a ball and chased it down and won it back on Sunday, that's nothing that Ben Arfa hasn't done.  Ben Arfa loses the ball, that's nothing that Obertan hasn't done.  The only thing we don't know about is if Ben Arfa is having any problems with his old injury in the cold weather which is possible but I'm sure that would have been mentioned if it was the case.

I don't see how maybe Ben Arfa not keeping his shape in the team as being the problem because Obertan doesn't keep his shape either.

So again, what does Obertan offer that makes him the player to pick?

I'm not writing Obertan off because I think he has enough going for him to become a decent footballer, his biggest negative and probably the reason why he might not make it is his lack of an understanding as to how to play the game.  He either doesn't understand the game or he has a mental block and can't think quickly enough because football doesn't come natural to him.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I was speaking to someone at the club who said he is, quote 'an arsehole'. Not denying his ability but is he worth it.

It only takes one bad apple