Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

You can't really compare players fucking up in defence costing us goals, especially when there isn't significant quality replacements, if anything it only backs up the argument that we can't afford to lose the ball leaving us open to counter attacks.

You can't really compare players f***ing up in defence costing us goals, especially when there isn't significant quality replacements, if anything it only backs up the argument that we can't afford to lose the ball leaving us open to counter attacks.

Simpson was closer to the opposition goal than ours so why can't you compare it?  He was in the same area Ben Arfa would be in if playing on the wing.

All this buy a CB talk we missed the fact we still don't have a proper LB

Santon and Jonas on the right and Benny with a proper LB down the left would give us a real balance to the team.

A right footer crossing from the right and a left footer crossing from the left, two quality strikers in Ba & Cisse with Tiote & Cabaye in the middle.

Benny is suffering due to our transfer policy, any talk of unbalance with him in the team is purely down to NOT having a LB and needing Jonas to be on the left wing to cover that position.

There is nio way Pardew will play a 4231 or 451 when we have the two dembas at our disposal. It would be stupidity to play demba out wide when it is glaringly obvious his best position is playing as a second striker slightly deeper.

I agree with what Pardew is doing at the moment i.e. fielding more defensive lineups until Tiote and Cabaye are back in the team.

Ben arfa is an unbeleivably talented player but the way he plays i.e. taking people on, attacking first and foremost, means he will leave us exposed on the wing (only place for him in team now) even if he only "attacks" in the last third. The opposing defenders know that he is likely to take them on so they double up and suppose that they can get a quick turnover from him, most teams will train to get the ball off him and turn it to their advantage. We can see that over a few of the games he has played.

If we had some more protection to cover those gaps (Tiote & Cabs) then I would be 100% behind having him on the wing.

As a side note, I think it must be down to his training application, or lack of it, because in the games he does seem to cover as much as Obertan does for instance???

All that can be addressed in the summer.

By buying a LB but then what does Benny do until then ?

Enough rumours about us looking at other RB options if Simpson does go, no mention of looking at a LB since we signed Santon.

Right now anyone at LB has the joy of Jonas infront of them, we don't have that kind over cover for Simpson so Benny misses out. Its very frustrating as we are one player away from being a very complete balanced side.

May be i am wrong but could that relates to his attitude at training rather than at match?

Pardew has never hinted that he has a problem with training though, only that he needs to work harder at his defensive game in previous quotes. What I don't understand is why he has to come out in public and say Ben Arfa will have to fight to get back in the team. Why not say he is one of our premier forwards and will be just as valuable as those currently in the first team over a season? Does he expect Cisse and Ba to be fit for every game?

There are so many games over a full season that it would be easy to rotate strikers or wingers for some of them. Maybe that's what Pardew meant but it just came out wrong or he was only partially quoted. He'd have to be a tit to purposely make Ben Arfa feel he's not of big value to the club unless there's something behind the scenes we don't know about.

Next season that could be incredible depending on who we have at LB, a proper defender not an out and out attacking LB.

-----------------Krul

Sant------Tayla------Colo------LB

Jonas-----Cab-------Tiote-----HBA

-----------Cisse-------Ba

Aye, with a better quality right back (think of Ekkoto, Clichy,Evra,Richards) Ben Arfa wouldn't cuase Pards those headaches...

A bit odd to name three LB's as examples of better quality right backs, no?

It was more to give the feeling of defensive security and players who whilst not outstanding (Cole/Enrique/Bale) would be a huge step up from Danny simpsons constant backing off... He is a decent defender but imagine having another enrique type at Right back, you could fit Ben Arfa on the right wing without any problem and still make him defend but knowing that the risks he takes attacking would be mitigated...

So far he’s scored 3 goals and 2 of them have made a difference to the result, Obertan who gets no stick at all has one goal which made little or no difference to the result as the game was effectively over.

I fully agree with the rest of your post, but I don't think it's that relevant in this discussion whether or not the goals they scored made a difference to the result. A goal's a goal regardless of the context. Obertan's goal also ensured a win after Blackburn had come increasingly close to equalising, and who's to say they wouldn't have done had he not scored.

There is nio way Pardew will play a 4231 or 451 when we have the two dembas at our disposal. It would be stupidity to play demba out wide when it is glaringly obvious his best position is playing as a second striker slightly deeper.

Demba would be great in the middle of the 3, did you see how good Cisse's hold up play was at the weekend? Get the ball to him and get Demba running on.

Next season that could be incredible depending on who we have at LB, a proper defender not an out and out attacking LB.

-----------------Krul

Sant------Tayla------Colo------LB

I think we would all love to see that, but i just cant see Pardew moving Jonas and Santon it maybe makes sense to do so but i cant see him doing it.

He is out of the team because he kept losing the ball in areas most weak to counter attack and our defence struggles against pace through the centre. Pardew said pre Villa he was going to have to deal with the counter attacks. That was his solution.

Ben Arfa has nowhere near the greatest ability at the club. He is behind Coloccini, Krul and Ba, while numerous other players are playing better and i would rather build the team around them than him.

You can't really build a team around goalkeeper or CB, huh?

Guest VaVaVoom

-----------------Krul

Sant------Tayla------Colo------Pieters

Fyp...

That there is one fantastic team.

I would rather have Cissokho but he is more of an attacking LB than Pieters. Both are good options.

-----------------Krul

Fyp...

I would rather have Cissokho but he is more of an attacking LB than Pieters. Both are good options.

Is it just me that would be looking to have a different CB in place of STaylor.  Seems to be very unlucky with injuries.

Guest VaVaVoom

Im happy with the Taylor/Colo partnership personally. Williamson and hopefully M'Biwa as cover. The latter being able to cover the whole back 4.

Guest hatem garrincha

He is out of the team because he kept losing the ball in areas most weak to counter attack and our defence struggles against pace through the centre. Pardew said pre Villa he was going to have to deal with the counter attacks. That was his solution.

Ben Arfa has nowhere near the greatest ability at the club. He is behind Coloccini, Krul and Ba, while numerous other players are playing better and i would rather build the team around them than him.

You have too many (negative) certitudes about Ben Arfa.

I think instead that my avatar will be very useful by the end of the season.

-----------------Krul

Fyp...

Is it just me that would be looking to have a different CB in place of STaylor.  Seems to be very unlucky with injuries.

Yeah, as great as he was this season it's looking like we might not be able to rely on him for a full season.

-----------------Krul

Fyp...

Yeah, as great as he was this season it's looking like we might not be able to rely on him for a full season.

My thought's exactly. 

I won't claim to be an expert, but if we wish to go to the 'next level' then we'd do well to get somone as capable, if not more so than Taylor (injury record being taken into account too).

All this buy a CB talk we missed the fact we still don't have a proper LB

Santon and Jonas on the right and Benny with a proper LB down the left would give us a real balance to the team.

A right footer crossing from the right and a left footer crossing from the left, two quality strikers in Ba & Cisse with Tiote & Cabaye in the middle.

Benny is suffering due to our transfer policy, any talk of unbalance with him in the team is purely down to NOT having a LB and needing Jonas to be on the left wing to cover that position.

Absolutely. Tired of having Jonas on the left, so frustrating seeing him taking brilliant runs down the flank and not being able to center it properly. He is important though as a defensive cover for Santon but when we get a left back in Santon should definitely move to the right along with Jonas. Ben Arfa should be deployed on the left flank to put in crosses too as we have at the moment two wonderfully skilled strikers who thrive on those sorts of balls. It's also important that Jonas and Ben Arfa can switch flanks which should be of great benefit for us. Top priorities are a good first choice left back and a backup center back, seems obvious enough to me.