The other games today - 2011/12

Rich

Oh, and I wasn't around yesterday so I couldn't say this:

Espanyol :mackems:

(gotta say an all-Barcelona final would have been class, but you just can't trust the parakeets even when handed the best possible draw ever)

Those bastards let me down on two accumulators. Can you explain they're exit? I couldn't even find the opposition in tables.

The opposition plays in Segunda B. Espanyol just got indulgent and set off to defend their advantage.

Regarding if we were lucky yesterday, possibly, but we too missed a couple clear chances to put the tie to bed in the second half. Luck is always even-handed in the long run.

Personally I think the referee was awful (Teixeira Vitienes is a terrible ref), but we can complain as much as Real Madrid.

And regarding Mirandés (the team that beat Espanyol), if they somehow make it to the final they are pretty much guaranteed an EL spot given it's gonna be either us or Valencia (can't see Levante coming back from a 4-1) and we'll both qualify for Europe through the league.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Found the Espanyol game strange. Mirandés looked like the side in the higher division, attempting to play football, whilst Espanyol set out to kick the shit out of them. So many needless free kicks giving away, especially the one that lead to the Mirandés goal. Enjoyable game to watch though

When you have a team moulded for being reactive, like Espanyol is (and gotta say Pochettino is doing a very good job with them), sometimes you just don't know how to control a game, even against lesser opposition. It's not in your DNA.

And the Mirandés players just wanted it more, sometimes that can make the difference.

Oh, and I wasn't around yesterday so I couldn't say this:

Espanyol :mackems:

(gotta say an all-Barcelona final would have been class, but you just can't trust the parakeets even when handed the best possible draw ever)

Those bastards let me down on two accumulators. Can you explain they're exit? I couldn't even find the opposition in tables.

The opposition plays in Segunda B. Espanyol just got indulgent and set off to defend their advantage.

Regarding if we were lucky yesterday, possibly, but we too missed a couple clear chances to put the tie to bed in the second half. Luck is always even-handed in the long run.

Personally I think the referee was awful (Teixeira Vitienes is a terrible ref), but we can complain as much as Real Madrid.

I think i just feel robbed as i had Madrid to qualify, took 2-2 in the first leg and 3-2 madrid last night. So close yet so far away.

Was enjoyable as ever regardless though. Mind games, passion, class, play acting, referee's...all just adds to the excitement of the games.

Guest neesy111

Aye, the drama may look ugly to neutrals (and it is from a cold point of view) but as an insider it just adds to the epicness of these "battles".

Still possible for 3 more games if you draw them in champs league (which is likely as you both are the best teams in europe).

Loved the Mirandes game but it just looked completely weird with their tiny stadium  :laugh:

Always just associate tiny stadiums and giant killings with English football for some reason  :dontknow:

Giant killings were way more common back when we too had a system like yours, with single game ties until the late stages and La Liga teams entering the draw much earlier. But the big sides (and more importantly, TV networks) complained and we got the current system which is an absolute farce.

Is it in the Copa del Rey the home team is always the lower league side in the early round(s)?

That was in the past. We used to have one game ties at the home of the lower league side. Now La Liga teams all enter in the last 32 phase, and the draw is seeded so 12 of them will play against a lower league side (home and away), and the remaining 8 play set the remaining 4 games. This is meant so lower league sides have less chance of progressing further, and hinder TV viewership.

Rumour is:

Cudicini

Walker Kaboul Dawson Rose

Livermore Parker Modric

VDV

Adebayor Defoe

I've not seen Watford at all this year, so no idea if this is a good plan or not. Should be fun though. Hope Rose does better at Vicarage Road this time around.