Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Pardew faces a decision here. If he wants to secure Ba long term and play with ONE central striker - Papiss isn't going to be content with sitting around.

I'm of course not saying I want us to sell him and just keep Ba, but I wonder if we have room for both of them the way things are turning out. It's getting increasingly unpleasant and I find myself thinking every weekend that in the long run we'll have to choose one of them.

Demba really has reacted fantastically to the way Papiss displaced him. I think he's earned that role for now.

Eh? By asking to play in Cisse's position to the detriment of the team?

Wrong by being joint top scorer of the league as of last week. Given their current form and if we are to play 4-3-3, I'd much rather have Demba as the focal point and Cisse on the left and the opposite was true last season when Cisse was on fire. It's simple really, the on form striker gets to play in the middle, that way the team benefit from an inform striker, has higher chances of scoring and introduce some healthy competition between Ba and Cisse.

my point is: cisse play central striker or he doesn´t play. Its the only position he can play imo. To put him on the left or right is a joke....might as well but willo there (that could actually be funny). We have better options than cisse on the flanks.

all im saying is ba can actually do a decent/good job on the LW and improve us atm where cisse can only play one position. Im only arguing this coz it would make us better in some matches to play both at the same time and not side by side on top (which isn´t the answer).

I agree Ba was better at LW than Cissé is. Cissé gives the impression of not having much to his game other than movement and finishing, which is only suitable in a central striking role.

I just don't think Ba was anything special at LW. Some seem to think he was actually an asset, but I'd rather have Ferguson, Marveaux or Sammy out there. Among Swedish journalists there is this widespread myth about Ba having so much success and getting loads of assist from LW last spring. I remember him having about one assist and being subbed in most games, often looking disappointed and angry. He transformed those reactions into good performances after the summer.

My point from the start was this: Pardew will face an even more difficult situation the day he accepts and realises that Ba and Cissé together are not for the benefit of the team. The question is who he chooses in the long run and what reaction we get from the other one.

Pardew faces a decision here. If he wants to secure Ba long term and play with ONE central striker - Papiss isn't going to be content with sitting around.

I'm of course not saying I want us to sell him and just keep Ba, but I wonder if we have room for both of them the way things are turning out. It's getting increasingly unpleasant and I find myself thinking every weekend that in the long run we'll have to choose one of them.

Demba really has reacted fantastically to the way Papiss displaced him. I think he's earned that role for now.

Wrong by being joint top scorer of the league as of last week. Given their current form and if we are to play 4-3-3, I'd much rather have Demba as the focal point and Cisse on the left and the opposite was true last season when Cisse was on fire. It's simple really, the on form striker gets to play in the middle, that way the team benefit from an inform striker, has higher chances of scoring and introduce some healthy competition between Ba and Cisse.

my point is: cisse play central striker or he doesn´t play. Its the only position he can play imo. To put him on the left or right is a joke....might as well but willo there (that could actually be funny). We have better options than cisse on the flanks.

all im saying is ba can actually do a decent/good job on the LW and improve us atm where cisse can only play one position. Im only arguing this coz it would make us better in some matches to play both at the same time and not side by side on top (which isn´t the answer).

I agree Ba was better at LW than Cissé is. Cissé gives the impression of not having much to his game other than movement and finishing, which is only suitable in a central striking role.

I just don't think Ba was anything special at LW. Some seem to think he was actually an asset, but I'd rather have Ferguson, Marveaux or Sammy out there. Among Swedish journalists there is this widespread myth about Ba having so much success and getting loads of assist from LW last spring. I remember him having about one assist and being subbed in most games, often looking disappointed and angry. He transformed those reactions into good performances after the summer.

My point from the start was this: Pardew will face an even more difficult situation the day he accepts and realises that Ba and Cissé together are not for the benefit of the team. The question is who he chooses in the long run and what reaction we get from the other one.

For sure, it's not an easy situation, but I can't see the need to introduce extra complications. They each bring a different package to that striker role, so he should just pick one or the other, depending on the opposition and the position in the match. If one or the other doesn't like it, then they can go.

It doesn't look like he can please both. The ill-judged attempt to butter up Ba in the summer by giving him a public pledge that he'd pick him down the centre 90% of the time has only created another problem IMO - ie Cisse's morale and form has been affected.

Sometimes you need to take a step backwards to move forwards. At the moment, Pardew seems to be going round and round in circles with this issue.

from the outside it looks so simple, simply bench Cisse and use Ba to spearhead the attack ,

Ba is scoring regardless of the limited chances the team is carving out at the moment for him,  Cisse is not scoring.  Not only that, Ba also has a release clause, so it pays dividends to play Ba, keep him sweet.

Cisse to the best of our knowledge does not have a release clause, even if he does , there don't seem to be much interest in a half a season wonder player at the moment.  Besides he still has a very long contract left with us, there's no danger in losing him to another team.

And i dont particularly like the way he smiles and grins when he misses a sitter and a penalty kick during a match.

We have many many games left, Cisse will get his chances to play, not saying to bench him indefinitely.  But from the outside it looks simple like that, but we don't know if Pardew is under any pressure to play Cisse, due to the fact they worked very hard to tie the deal paying 8-10 million for this boy.  A lot of money in the eyes of Derek and Mike.

Guest firetotheworks

I always laugh when pretty much everyone has a. different idea on what we need to do. Imagine Pardew being like that in his head.

Benching goal scorer who needs a goal is not a sensible idea.  Use him in europe to try and get the goal he needs.

Playing him out of position or benching our top scorer isnt a good idea. Start him tomorrow and put him on the bench on sunday.

I don't envy Pardew tbh.

He has a 10m striker not scoring who cannot play anywhere than CF and a striker who can play outwide but considering how he's scoring at the moment then we cannot move him from the central position.

We can't play the 4-4-2 because it doesn't work with the two of them and the midfield is overrun, there is one untested idea with Hatem behind the front 2 but we don't really keep the ball well enough or have the fullbacks to make that work.

It's really difficult to find a system and way of playing which suits both strikers and allows the team to control the midfield and create chances.

I would say just rotate them but we all know it isn't that simple.

Pardew is a 4-4-2 merchant, whether we like it or not. It's starting to look like Ba and Cisse aren't exactly complimentary as a front two though; they're both very good strikers individually, but especially Ba looks like he's better when paired with a stronger focal point in attack, and maybe the same goes for Cisse, who also looked very strong as a lone striker in a 4-3-3 last season. Most people on here were opposed to our move for Carroll, but right now I'd say he's the missing piece in our striker puzzle with Pardew's preferred style of play, as both Ba and Cisse could probably flourish with him holding it up and doing the physical battle with the defenders leaving space for them to exploit.

For what it's worth I would love us to go a more continental 4-3-3 style with slick passing football and early pressure all over the pitch, but I just don't think Pardew is the right man to implement it. Whilst it worked a treat last season for a while when we were on top form, the few times we've deployed it this season have demonstrated that it's isn't exactly a risk-free tactic. In fact, the games we've started 4-3-3 in the Premiership (mainly Everton away and yesterday v Liverpool) have seen us under the cosh from the starting whistle with players seemingly uncomfortable and conceeding the majority of possession as a result.

4-3-3 may well be the way forward, but it requires a lot of training to get it right, so in a way I understand why Pardew is being pragmatic with our busy schedule currently and going with what's a bit more familiar and stable. The quality of our attackers meaning they will normally take their chances more often than not is getting us by at the moment in terms of results. Long term though, you'd expect Pardew to be working towards a footballing philosophy rather than integrating whatever bargain Mike buys him regardless of the team's needs into a team designed to control rather than attack.

Guti might be part of the problem in the 433 as he's neither a real outlet anymore or a proper midfielder either. His workrate can't be questioned but a REAL central midfielder would be better suited imo.

Guti might be part of the problem in the 433 as he's neither a real outlet anymore or a proper midfielder either. His workrate can't be questioned but a REAL central midfielder would be better suited imo.

I agree on Jonas i think that's why we are searching for another midfielder be it a proper playmaker or a box to box midfielder ( atleast according to the media anyway)

I don't think Jonas is the long term answer and i also think Pardew knows it, i would say give chances to players we already have but all of them are more DM's than CM's tbh.

theres me been saying he should be benched, and met with moronic responses such as.

"hows that going to help him"

well playing him is not helping the team,  deserves to be dropped.  he's been a joke.

I care little about individuals and more about the team. Cisse's been shite this year and not contributed. It's irrelevant if benching him doesn't help him as an individual.