Swansea City 0 - 2 Newcastle United - 06/04/12 - post-match reaction from pg 39

Dave

We could of taken a few tips off them today on keeping the ball, our inability to actually keep the ball at times is annoying as hell. I'm not talking like 100 passes going backwards or sideways but more than 3 would be nice? It's frustrating as hell the way we just invite pressure on us a lot of the time during a game. 

I reckon instead of criticising their play for lacking cutting edge we should praise our defence as a team, because we shut them down and played a a classic, professional away performance. Fwiw I think their approach is commendable and it's a great effort to be in mid table. They praise they get is because everyone thought they'd be relegation fodder, and instead they play nice football which has them mid table. They deserve praise for easily escaping relegation with a poor squad, but they're not some template around which everyone should play.

I do admire the way Swansea keep it on the deck and the results they've managed, but I would like to know when it was decided upon that the "right" way to play football is to pass the ball 100 times in the first two 3rds before even considering penetrating the defence  ???

Surely, from a fan's point of view, the "right" way to play football is to keep it on the deck while attacking as often as possible. Having said that, talk of a "correct" style of football is one of my pet hates.

swansea will have better days,  they were'nt at their best today obviously.

seriously its not like they got smashed 5 goals past them by a team like fulham.

they'll have more days like that unless they adapt/improve. they've done well this season but it was telling from rodgers's interview when saying they were undone by the extra quality final pass and finish. he knows thats what they lack.

I do admire the way Swansea keep it on the deck and the results they've managed, but I would like to know when it was decided upon that the "right" way to play football is to pass the ball 100 times in the first two 3rds before even considering penetrating the defence  ???

Surely, from a fan's point of view, the "right" way to play football is to keep it on the deck while attacking as often as possible. Having said that, talk of a "correct" style of football is one of my pet hates.

swansea will have better days,  they were'nt at their best today obviously.

seriously its not like they got smashed 5 goals past them by a team like fulham.

they'll have more days like that unless they adapt/improve. they;ve done well this season but ut was telling from rodgers's interview when saying they were undone bu the extra quality final pass and finish. he knows thats what they lack.

ofcourse i cant see them persisting with routelegde and graham without adding more strength in depth.  a few half decent signings can transform them into more potency. 

Guest ToonZA

The problem they have is that by holding on to the ball, or side ways passes in their half merely gives the opposition time to get behind the ball and maintain their defensive formation. In a way they are forcing the opposition into parking the bus. This situation is exercebated on their home patch by the fact that most teams outside the top 6 are setup more cautiously away from home anyway.

At the moment they do not possess the required skill and creativity to unlock a packed defence and unless they can bring in players of real quality - which would be difficult with their budget - I cannot see them getting the results that all their possession stats suggests they should be getting.

But I dont think they will be relegated simply because they are difficult to beat unless teams are as clinical as we were today and there are not many of those around.

I like watching teams who combine good passing and possession with a cutting edge. So after a few minutes of being impressed by their passing and movement, I find myself wondering whether after all this foreplay, I am actually gonna get laid.

yert they've done enough with that style to survive comfortably this season with imo a worse group of payers than many of the clubs below them.

Agreed. I am not bashing them at all. I would give them huge amounts of credit for being able to execute their possession strategy with the players at their disposal. I just see them hovering around positions 10 and 15 in the league because the teams above them are capable of countering their possession defence by being clinical enough in front of goal, while the rest will struggle to beat them without having their fair share of possession (which current Swansea setup denies).

.com:

Two home replacements gave them some more threat up front but again Scott Sinclair's best efforts were from distance and Danny Graham also rarely looked like scoring against his former side - Wayne Routledge similarly impotent.

???

Graham was never on our books to my knowledge.

Come in expecting a good mood over last few pages but no it's  the lowest common denominator.

As I posted earlier, superb display, so disciplined and professional. Cisse aside Jonas/Cabaye and the centre backs were superb. It was great to hear on comms Jonas being vocal too a couple of times in the first half.

.com:

Two home replacements gave them some more threat up front but again Scott Sinclair's best efforts were from distance and Danny Graham also rarely looked like scoring against his former side - Wayne Routledge similarly impotent.

???

Looks like an error by .com. I'm sure Graham started out at Middlesbrough.

.com:

???

he says, after quickly checking wikipedia.

.com:

???

he says, after quickly checking wikipedia.

:whistle:

Busted :laugh:

Wow this thread has gone downhill and off topic quickly.

ronaldos been in hasn't he. :whistle:

Surely talking about the side we beat isn't a massive stretch for a thread about the match they were in?!

i was taking the piss man (see the smiley) as i've done a s much to side track the thread as he has.

Surely talking about the side we beat isn't a massive stretch for a thread about the match they were in?!

i was taking the p*ss man (see the smiley) as i've done a s much to side track the thread as he has.

Sorry chum I'm drunk!

i was taking the p*ss man (see the smiley) as i've done a s much to side track the thread as he has.

Sorry chum I'm drunk!

as if i'm sober.

Problem is, some on here have spent the last 4 or 5 months projecting mythical qualities onto Swansea in order to make damning comparisons with our own play. In the last 14 days that fabrication has been undermined and, today, emphatically ripped to shreds in 90 minutes.

Hope this is the end of it.

Problem is, some on here have spent the last 4 or 5 months projecting mythical qualities onto Swansea in order to make damning comparisons with our own play. In the last 14 days that fabrication has been undermined and, today, emphatically ripped to shreds in 90 minutes.

check what i said earlier in this thread. the rhapsodising over them is a myth, they aren't that good, they are very MotDable but they dom play good stuff generally and have got more out of a poor squad than other teams have with better squads below then due to the the style they play, which imo is more pleasing to watch than wolves,blackburn etal.

Sorry chum I'm drunk!

as if i'm sober.

Schweeeeet let's do it together some time.

An 8 for Tiote? He was bloody awful while he was on the pitch.

Aye, that holding his position/tracking/intercepting as a secure defensive unit & not allowing Swansea any clear cohesive play near our goal was shit I forget.

i doubt thats going to happen

it depends, there's still a good few matches to be won and lost.  1 game against our team is not really an actual judgement on swansea.

An 8 for Tiote? He was bloody awful while he was on the pitch.

Aye, that holding his position/tracking/intercepting as a secure defensive unit & not allowing Swansea any clear cohesive play near our goal was s*** I forget.

I didn't see much if any of that, like.