Next season, which formation?

BONTEMPI

Ba was proper desperate to score end of last season aswell, he ignored Cisse as an option on many occasions to try for a goal himself. Chances are if he gets one or two himself they'll click far more as a pair, as all they really need is to be a bit selfless with eachother. The movement/ability is there for it to work well.

Exactly. I don't normally like doing this as there are a number of big assumptions but:

Krul

Debuchy S.Taylor Coloccini Santon

Ben Arfa Cabaye Tiote Marveaux

Cisse Ba

Is someone going to seriously suggest they're not excited by that line-up?

Very, the only real concerns so far is when we have used 4-4-2 we have struggled to keep possession. But i'm sure having Debuchy and Santon as fullbacks will help with that and the fact Marveaux and Ben Arfa come in side a lot we could end up having 4 in the middle which would help with possession.

The other concern i have is Ba and Cisse clicking as a pair because atm they both don't really look like a natural fit.

Actually considering the players in that system that 4-4-2 could be a lot like City's 4-4-2 and they don't really struggle with possession due to the wide players coming inside and the fullbacks providing width.

Let's and wait and see.

I'm happy for us to play 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, we've got the personnel for each of those. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, we need to be able to adapt against different oppenents

Exactly. I don't normally like doing this as there are a number of big assumptions but:

Krul

Cisse Ba

Very, the only real concerns so far is when we have used 4-4-2 we have struggled to keep possession. But i'm sure having Debuchy and Santon as fullbacks will help with that and the fact Marveaux and Ben Arfa come in side a lot we could end up having 4 in the middle which would help with possession.

The other concern i have is Ba and Cisse clicking as a pair because atm they both don't really look like a natural fit.

Actually considering the players in that system that 4-4-2 could be a lot like City's 4-4-2 and they don't really struggle with possession due to the wide players coming inside and the fullbacks providing width.

Let's and wait and see.

Will be that I think but with Jonas starting over Marv, early on anyway.

Krul

Cisse Ba

Let's and wait and see.

Will be that I think but with Jonas starting over Marv, early on anyway.

No problem over that if we are going to use wingers that come inside and fullbacks who provide width, Jonas is comfortable coming inside although Marveaux would make the attack more fluid with Jonas being better defensively.

Either way it should work, i do feel the main issue with 4-4-2 atm is the fullbacks with Santon and Debuchy it could only help as far as possession goes.

There's no reason why we can't vary it a bit during a game.

The way I see it is that when we're on the ball and attacking, it'll be a 4-3-3 but if we're defending, we can easily switch to a 4-4-2/4-5-1 to cover both flanks and the middle - we have the players to make this work.

4-3-3 but Ba and Cisse will be playing fairly centrally, to offset this Debuchy (yes conjecture I know) and Santon will be essentially wing-backs. Ben Arfa will have a freer role but will nominally be in the no10 position. Cabaye will have Jonas, or a new signing acting as a second bodyguard to free him from defensive duties, like how Pirlo operates at Juventus.

4-3-3 but Ba and Cisse will be playing fairly centrally, to offset this Debuchy (yes conjecture I know) and Santon will be essentially wing-backs. Ben Arfa will have a freer role but will nominally be in the no10 position. Cabaye will have Jonas, or a new signing acting as a second bodyguard to free him from defensive duties, like how Pirlo operates at Juventus.

That sounds fucking incredible man. Exactly how I'd like to see us set up.

Ben Arfa's best role is coming in from the wing, just give him a free role there and all will be well.

Oh I agree I'm just trying to offset Ba being played centrall with Cisse, to me you can't have that and have as good a midfield without sacrificing width. I agree he's strongest but also bare in mind imo his strongest game was West Brom away and he was essentially running that game with a free role. pushing him to flank's guarantees him space to run into against defensive teams who sit back and stops him running into dead ends, but imo if that means having him in no 10 but essentially on the right it's no terrible thing.

Guest Archie

If we are to use Ba and Cisse they both have to play in finisher positions. Having Ba in a Rooney role is a waste imo. He doesnt have the pace or legs to do it, sure he will have a few nice touches and passes but I`d rather have someone pacey who can beat a man or two and set up the spearhead in that position...