Things to work on for next season

Tiresias

Guest VaVaVoom

Yh Passing, better winning mentality and make better use of set pieces for me too....... the rest of it can be improved with some signings in key areas.

better winning mentality. that is both meaningless and crap.

What? do you ever see the likes of Man U get battered ( City game aside) once they go 1-0 down like we have on many times this season..... its clear we need to learn how to deal with going behind better than we do at the moment.

BTW we will get more goals from midfield if we stay away from 4-4-2 as our midfielders are reduced to holding players in that system.

Spot on.

thats not a winning mentality, thats having a better team, if so what happened to their winning mentality this season ? we do have to work out why we collapse after going behind (personally i think it's often pardew changing things to early after conceding) but that has sod all to do with the ficticous winning mentality.

I'd say we have had a pretty good winning mentality to have to prelonged winning runs this season tbh.

I get your point though.

We do need to improve on how we deal with going behind and how we look to get back into the game and win. Also we need to improve our ability to boss teams from the kickoff and control the game for 90 mins.

All win come, or i'd like to think it would, should we keep the group together and another year together. Understanding and composure/trust will keep growing.

Yh Passing, better winning mentality and make better use of set pieces for me too....... the rest of it can be improved with some signings in key areas.

better winning mentality. that is both meaningless and crap.

What? do you ever see the likes of Man U get battered ( City game aside) once they go 1-0 down like we have on many times this season..... its clear we need to learn how to deal with going behind better than we do at the moment.

BTW we will get more goals from midfield if we stay away from 4-4-2 as our midfielders are reduced to holding players in that system.

Spot on.

thats not a winning mentality, thats having a better team, if so what happened to their winning mentality this season ? we do have to work out why we collapse after going behind (personally i think it's often pardew changing things to early after conceding) but that has sod all to do with the ficticous winning mentality.

Tbf thier team is alot worse ( atleast from an individual stand point ) than City and alot of their past teams and they still ran them extremely close.... infact a goal from Aguero in the 93rd minute won City the title....

Their winning mentality is what got them so many points this season, so i dont believe its through having a better team because i dont believe their team is that great at least from an individual standpoint....

We could definitely improve our mentality from losing situations... you dont just go from 1-0 to 3-0 in a matter of 15 mins like we have on occasion this season if there isnt an issue.....

Look its been a fantastic season but there are areas for improvement and i think fighting back from losing situations is one of those areas for improvement and thats all down to mentality.

Set pieces is the main one for me. Really don't want to see the Williamson routine (or anything similar) next season. Plus, apart from Ba's goal at Molineux, we haven't threatened from enough corners/set plays this season. That definitely needs to change.

Guest BooBoo

Corners.

FFS, corners.

It's got to the stage where I barely cheer when we get a corner as are so inept from them.

My only BIG hope is that we continue to work on 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 that has been so good for us. And it is in this formations we have played our best fotball imo.

Its also this formations that suits the group of players we have to the best imo.

Guest Argileye

Set pieces is the main one for me. Really don't want to see the Williamson routine (or anything similar) next season. Plus, apart from Ba's goal at Molineux, we haven't threatened from enough corners/set plays this season. That definitely needs to change.

This. And ball retention.

Just seen this stat.... Ba, Cissé, HBA & Cabaye were the only NUFC players to get more than 10 shots on target in the Premier League this season #nufc

I would definitely like to see this improved on next season.

On that note, tell Tiote to stop shooting all the time.

Just seen this stat.... Ba, Cissé, HBA & Cabaye were the only NUFC players to get more than 10 shots on target in the Premier League this season #nufc

I would definitely like to see this improved on next season.

On that note, tell Tiote to stop shooting all the time.

Yep that too  :laugh: but what that stat tells me is only 4 players on our team are a goal threat id like to see that improved on if possible.

What was the last game we won from behind in the league, anyone know it? Im sure i read it was a ridiculous amount of games not long back.

Pardew isn't the most gung-ho of managers, and a lot of the time his basic policy has been to concentrate on containing the opposition at first, and then attack as the game goes on. Of course if the opposition scores first, we're in difficulty and we've taken a few beatings as a result. Like on Sunday.

Tbh, for most of this season we've looked more like a mid-table team than CL contenders. We've got up there because we've been organised and tactically astute, and got several results in close games or against the run of play. Our modest goal difference, compared to the teams around us, is a reflection of that. Pardew has recognised our limitations, and set us up to get results despite that.

It's only very recently that we've looked capable of really outclassing opponents. That's a work in progress. I'm optimistic because if Pardew can get results with the current squad, think what he could achieve with a few upgrades.

What was the last game we won from behind in the league, anyone know it? Im sure i read it was a ridiculous amount of games not long back.

Pardew isn't the most gung-ho of managers, and a lot of the time his basic policy has been to concentrate on containing the opposition at first, and then attack as the game goes on. Of course if the opposition scores first, we're in difficulty and we've taken a few beatings as a result. Like on Sunday.

Tbh, for most of this season we've looked more like a mid-table team than CL contenders. We've got up there because we've been organised and tactically astute, and got several results in close games or against the run of play. Our modest goal difference, compared to the teams around us, is a reflection of that. Pardew has recognised our limitations, and set us up to get results despite that.

It's only very recently that we've looked capable of really outclassing opponents. That's a work in progress. I'm optimistic because if Pardew can get results with the current squad, think what he could achieve with a few upgrades.

:thup:

Next season might be similar again, focus on improving the defence first and hopefully allowing our attacking and control game to flourish later.

Guest Geordiesned

West Ham away last season.

Since then, of the 22 league games we've played where we've conceded the first goal we've drawn 7 of them and lost 15.

15 clean sheets was impressive, the heavy losses were not - the defense needs work in this regards, as does the mentality of the team towards defending, especially when we concede first.

We may as well have kicked the majority of corners and free kicks straight out of play this season.  Delivery, creativity and goals need to result from our set pieces next season - Pardew knows this.

Personally, I would like to see the ball used more creatively from midfield (Cabaye reverse pass for Cisse goal) and more attempts on target to mix things up a little.

Excellent post.

Work on:

getting a right sided centre back who can bring the ball out and a right back who can pass as well as defend.

Stopping the urge to play hoofball in the last twenty minutes, an expanded plan B which could be to keep playing our passing game but to change wingers/formation etc to baffle opposition.

Learning how to change our formation/tactics earlier in the game so as to counter opposition when they are steamrolling us.

As good as Pards is I reckon he has fallen short on adapting whilst games are being played, he needs to go back and study Mourinho a bit longer to see that he generally makes changes after 15-20 mins in a game if needed...

The return of Saylor plus another quality centre half and an improvement at fullback (Debuchy?) should allow us to keep things tighter at the back and keep the ball better when we're under the cosh as Skirge has said re the likes of Williamson at the back.

I think for me the main issue has been lack of consistent results when playing away from home. Our players don't seem that hungry to win away games especially in the first half which most of the damage is done. I thinks one main reason for this is lack of strong leadership from our captain. Don't get me wrong I think Collo is a very good player but is he captain material ? I'm not so sure especially away from home.

I think if we have a captain and other senior players who can shout and push other players to keep going when we are down by one goal, we would then stand a chance of reducing the big loses or even turning these situations around to draw or eve. Win the game.

I think for me the main issue has been lack of consistent results when playing away from home. Our players don't seem that hungry to win away games especially in the first half which most of the damage is done. I thinks one main reason for this is lack of strong leadership from our captain. Don't get me wrong I think Collo is a very good player but is he captain material ? I'm not so sure especially away from home.

I think if we have a captain and other senior players who can shout and push other players to keep going when we are down by one goal, we would then stand a chance of reducing the big loses or even turning these situations around to draw or eve. Win the game.

Agree.

I think the team need Keane/Shearer-ish character in it.

As mentioned earlier:

On target/total shots:

Ba: 45/109

Cissé: 21/39

Cabaye: 19/51

Ben Arfa: 11/34

Gutiérrez: 9/41

Best: 8/24

Ameobi: 8/29

Tioté: 7/29

Raylor: 5/40 (!!)

Guthrie: 4/12

Colo: 4/16

Thats just sad! No more freekicks for you Raylor!