Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Guest firetotheworks

This thread really is just everyone, or at least some boring as fuck people making the same points over and over and over again like. It's been the same since last season.

This thread really is just everyone, or at least some boring as f*** people making the same points over and over and over again like. It's been the same since last season.

Every 'player thread' on every football forum is exactly this way. As is talking about sport with the people around you. Just the nature of it.

Just watching the games though, it is obvious Anita is nowhere as influential as he needs to be on the pitch. The stats support it, too. Whether that is because of his own failings or tactical ones from his manager, it really needs to change.

Fucking hiding, truly staggering stuff.

'Hiding' seems needlessly pejorative but I don't think he gets involved in play enough for a central midfielder. He's too passive and doesn't take control of the midfield as you'd hope, and unless he's surrounded by other ball players (he's not), then his assets are wasted.

Fucking hiding, truly staggering stuff.

'Hiding' seems needlessly pejorative but I don't think he gets involved in play enough for a central midfielder. He's too passive and doesn't take control of the midfield as you'd hope, and unless he's surrounded by other ball players (he's not), then his assets are wasted.

I think that's all fair enough. He's probably a canny enough player in coherent system with the right balance of players and tactics. We have none of those things so it's probably best he moves on if we're all being honest.

am i seeing people saying anita doesn't show for passes here? :lol:

i've seen it all now, i'm f***ing dumbfounded at that like, he's literally miles better than every other player in our squad at making angles for a return pass...the fact he often doesn't get them from his teammates is another issue

:lol: Don't know what some are watching but I totally agree here mojo.

He played for over an hour on Sunday. He attempted 18 passes. 15 successfully. N'Zonzi attempted 57! Whelan 61! Colback 39.

In every match I've looked at, he always ranks as one of the lowest in attempted passes. Doesn't show for the ball so often. Rarely looks for space.

Colback is guilty of this too. Teams are happy for him to have the ball but Tiote always goes and gets it. He's the only one of the deeper midfielders to do that. It's annoying. If things aren't working for us Tiote will attempt to drive the team forward. The midgets never bother.

What is Abeid's Average Pass Per Game?

Obviously it's a smaller sample size since he has not played much BUT interested to see how it compares to Anita, Colback, Tiote etc

Both Colo and Willo absolultely love a targetless long ball into the channels. I think that's the main explanation as to why Anita gets the ball so rarely. In fact, it's the main reason we consistently have less of the ball than our opponents.

Are they targeting Tiote and Colback with those long balls or how are they able to get the touches that Anita simply doesn't?

25.6 in the Premiership. 275 minutes over 5 games.

So workd out something like 42 passes every 90 minutes if my maths isn't completely horrible.

So less than Anita? Interesting

I rate Abeid and he would be my first choice BUT would those that point to Anita's low number of passes as evidence of him hiding say Abeid hides in matches?

So workd out something like 42 passes every 90 minutes if my maths isn't completely horrible.

I rate Abeid and he would be my first choice BUT would those that point to Anita's low number of passes as evidence of him hiding say Abeid hides in matches?

There is some sample size bias at play there. Abeid has only started one home match all season, and this was against Liverpool. Probably with Anita as well, who is usually the first player substituted in every match. This is highly irrelevant.

It's skewed due to him appearing as a sub (about a minute against Hull and 4 minutes against Stoke) and not completing 90 minutes. His average is pretty much identical to both Colback and Anita (a 3 game sample size).

Guest reefatoon

It's more the range of passes though. the majority of Anita's passes either go straight back to who passed to him (which he does an awful lot) or back to the nearest person.  There is no real penetration in any of them, to the point a lot of the time you could just skip him and get from A to B a little quicker.

It's more the range of passes though. the majority of Anita's passes either go straight back to who passed to him (which he does an awful lot) or back to the nearest person.  There is no real penetration in any of them, to the point a lot of the time you could just skip him and get from A to B to row Z a little quicker.

It's more the range of passes though. the majority of Anita's passes either go straight back to who passed to him (which he does an awful lot) or back to the nearest person.  There is no real penetration in any of them, to the point a lot of the time you could just skip him and get from A to B a little quicker.

We've seen him make more adventurous through balls and dinks over the defence when played further forward in the past, he's also shown himself to have good feet. I'm not too sure on him either, but there's been moments when he's shown far more to his game than just keeping things ticking over from deep.

Guest reefatoon

We've seen him make more adventurous through balls and dinks over the defence when played further forward in the past, he's also shown himself to have good feet. I'm not too sure on him either, but there's been moments when he's shown far more to his game than just keeping things ticking over from deep.

Yep, he played a great ball through to Cabella in the first half against Stoke, but apart from that, I can't really remember anything else from him. That's the type of player he is, you could come away from watching it and easily forget he was on the pitch.  I'm sure he would flourish in a different league, as there is a player there. It's probably the problem with our midfield as a whole. No one to get hold of the game and dictate it, make their presence felt (Sissoko to an extent can) and I don't mean by hoofing people.

Until we stop consistently bypassing any deeper midfield play, his stats are going to be mediocre, doesn't change a thing about his abilities. He's never going to be flashy but he can be a very useful tool, should we ever play in a manner that utilizes central midfield.

Until we stop consistently bypassing any deeper midfield play, his stats are going to be mediocre, doesn't change a thing about his abilities. He's never going to be flashy but he can be a very useful tool, should we ever play in a manner that utilizes central midfield.

bullshit, he's a hider SEMTEX, a fucking dirty little hider

bullshit, he's a hider SEMTEX, a f***ing dirty little hider

Somehow the ball only flies over his head. :lol:

Wow, whoever it was who mentioned 'hider' seems to have got your goat up.  Coming across very emotional there.

:lol: not really, but I am blown away by use of 'hider' and the presentation as fact that he doesn't show for the ball when he spent 2 years being the only player doing it at all in Pardew's fussball table team :lol:

Chronic stuff.

I could see him at Swansea.

He'd do well with any team that plays possession football.

Someone mentioned previously that he's similar to Leon Britton/Joe Allen and I think that's an apt comparison (though I think Vurn's got more ability than either of those two).