Alan Pardew

Dave

I still rate him.

As he integrates Anita into the side we are playing better football. Hes an option for the back 4 to play it out to and we've launched it a lot less in the last 2 games as a result. I doubted Anita, but hes starting to prove me wrong.

With the ball on the deck more Ba and Cisse are starting to show signs they can play together. There is still a long way to go here though, but credit to Pardew for not giving up on it.

The intensity (and ability) of our midfield covered a multitude of deficiencies last year. Cabaye and Tiote consistently covered more ground than anyone on the pitch, and Jonas would run miles too. We would win 2nd balls, put sides under pressure and control the middle against all but the best teams. Consequently a team containing Obertan, Best, Simpson, Taylor went 11 unbeaten.

We just haven't had that this season. But I think Tiote is starting to get back to what he was and Anita may be able  to forge an effective partnership with him.

He is showing too much loyalty to Jonas though, and it is costing us. Hopefully Marveaux can follow Anita into the side and complete an absolute turn around from their horror 1st half at Everton.

Get Cabaye back and 1 or 2 players in January without losing anyone, and I'm hopeful we'll look very good for the cups and 2nd half of the season.

Improved 2nd half performances make it clear the players are still playing for him, and I see plenty of signs of improvement and reasons to be positive.

Really don't understand a lot of the criticism in this thread.

Not a bad post at all. Some of things Pardew does annoy me (Jonas over Marv, the terrible set pieces) but in general he is nowhere near as terrible as people are saying.

How terrible are people saying he is? Terrible enough to have us in a relegation fight?

Well I don't know exactly, he seems to have been getting a lot of stick. You're conflating two things in the second question though, obviously we are in a bad situation in the league, but that doesn't automatically mean Pardew is a bad manager. Martinez is lauded for keeping Wigan up every season, when we finished fifth it didn't make Pardew amazing either.

Comparing us to Wigan is cringe worthy.

Just as well I didn't do that then.

Look, obviously I'm not going to get anywhere right now with any Pardew-positives because people are angry about the result. Fair enough. But I watched a decent performance marred by some individual mistakes and some luck going the wrong way. I didn't see a shambles or a team that demonstrates their manager is clueless.

It's not about individual results or performances any more though is it Ian? If we lose 4 of the next 5 (very likely, let's be honest), it doesn't matter how we play in each game, there's a point where we have to draw a line in the sand and move to preserve our Premier League status and for me, we're past that point and have been for a few weeks.

You could say that yeah, we would just have to agree to disagree.

I suppose if someone better was guaranteed to come in then I would be with you, I'm not wedded to Pardew. I just think he's earned some leeway and their are some signs of improvement over the last couple of games.

Obviously the results themselves have been terrible, and if you believe that that should be a reason to sack the manager then it's a valid point of view.

Youdontsay.jpeg

Well obviously, but that's the best way to put it really.

Guest neesy111

People who were worried at the start of the season were hit back with it'll get better when players are back to full fitness from a shite pre-season.

Then 7 weeks back it was, ohh we have too many injuries now and just need to get players back and then it'll be fine.

Now it's ohh performances are decent, Pardew is clearly showing he's turning it around.

Excuses, excuses, excuses all season, the buck has to stop at some point.  Some people really need to take a step back and actually watch us for what we've been this season.  I'd put us 18th in terms of how well we've played this season, only QPR and the mackems below us.  Even a team like Reading look a better footballing team and their squad is basically the same as last season.

How much would we lose in prize money if we finish say 15th compared to top 10?would it cost more to sack him? Pretty sure the options will be considered over the next month.

Last year places were worth over £750k.

Ashley and Llambias aren't football men. They don't understand football and almost certainly can't see how terrible our football is every week. Even if they could it matters little to them.

This is the main reason I can't see them sacking him unless it gets absolutely desperate in terms of relegation.

Various things that really made me question Pardew tonight:

1) taking off Ben Arfa with 20mins to go. Honestly, what the hell was going through his head at this point? If we're chasing the game, surely the last person you bring off is Hatem (even if he's not 100% fit, he's 10 times more creative than anyone else.)

2) Him claiming in his interview after the game that it was one of our best attacking performances of the season. If creating zero clear cut chances is our best attacking performance of the season, then I want my money back for my season ticket, we were fucking dire going forward.

3) Persisting with Jonas. I'm a massive fan of Jonas, but he's been awful this season and he needs dropping. It seems like he's lost a yard of pace which he relied upon so much in previous seasons.

4) Shoe horning Ba and Cisse into the team. Playing players in a position which they're unfamiliar with and which doesn't suit their attributes is just rank bad management. Cisse wide right is an absolute joke, either drop him or put him up top with Ba on the left of a front three, you know, the formation in which we played our best football last season.

I'm willing to give Pardew some time after our achievements last season but my patience is wearing very thin after an abysmal start to this season.

I still rate him.

As he integrates Anita into the side we are playing better football. Hes an option for the back 4 to play it out to and we've launched it a lot less in the last 2 games as a result. I doubted Anita, but hes starting to prove me wrong.

With the ball on the deck more Ba and Cisse are starting to show signs they can play together. There is still a long way to go here though, but credit to Pardew for not giving up on it.

The intensity (and ability) of our midfield covered a multitude of deficiencies last year. Cabaye and Tiote consistently covered more ground than anyone on the pitch, and Jonas would run miles too. We would win 2nd balls, put sides under pressure and control the middle against all but the best teams. Consequently a team containing Obertan, Best, Simpson, Taylor went 11 unbeaten.

We just haven't had that this season. But I think Tiote is starting to get back to what he was and Anita may be able  to forge an effective partnership with him.

He is showing too much loyalty to Jonas though, and it is costing us. Hopefully Marveaux can follow Anita into the side and complete an absolute turn around from their horror 1st half at Everton.

Get Cabaye back and 1 or 2 players in January without losing anyone, and I'm hopeful we'll look very good for the cups and 2nd half of the season.

Improved 2nd half performances make it clear the players are still playing for him, and I see plenty of signs of improvement and reasons to be positive.

Not a bad post at all. Some of things Pardew does annoy me (Jonas over Marv, the terrible set pieces) but in general he is nowhere near as terrible as people are saying.

We've gone from pushing for a Champions League place to hoping we win a relegation 6-pointer the week after the champions batter us. It's a s**** state of affairs and the bloke who makes all of the decisions is to blame for it.

I now instinctively look at the team below us to see who can catch us nowadays. I've written off top-half. I also know we'll go out of Europe shortly thanks to the surrender at home to Maritimo.

Don't give me this s****  like it's ok and we're all over-reacting to a small blip. It's been f***ing awful, call a spade a f***ing spade ffs.

Who was it who got us pushing for a Champions League place though? Was he clueless then, and just incredibly lucky?

How shocking can we get until this excuse is worn out?

Isn't it a valid point though?

One amazing season and one poor half-season. Who's to say that the negative one is the real evidence?

His career up to this point?

Amazing is seriously pushing it like. :lol: You know as well as I do that the same criticisms were aimed at him for large swathes of last season and your defence was always always "We're 5th. We're 5th. We're 5th"

Well now we're not 5th and won't be any time soon. What's the defence now? "We were 5th"

FFS. :lol:

Ashley and Llambias aren't football men. They don't understand football and almost certainly can't see how terrible our football is every week. Even if they could it matters little to them.

This is the main reason I can't see them sacking him unless it gets absolutely desperate in terms of relegation.

They know what a defeat is though, surely? :lol:

I still rate him.

We've gone from pushing for a Champions League place to hoping we win a relegation 6-pointer the week after the champions batter us. It's a s**** state of affairs and the bloke who makes all of the decisions is to blame for it.

I now instinctively look at the team below us to see who can catch us nowadays. I've written off top-half. I also know we'll go out of Europe shortly thanks to the surrender at home to Maritimo.

Don't give me this s****  like it's ok and we're all over-reacting to a small blip. It's been f***ing awful, call a spade a f***ing spade ffs.

Who was it who got us pushing for a Champions League place though? Was he clueless then, and just incredibly lucky?

One amazing season and one poor half-season. Who's to say that the negative one is the real evidence?

It was valid, then it got less valid and now it's the last card to play. He isn't helping his cause, when we week in and out never compete in games. We depend on Ben Arfa almost solely. Also he doesn't take any blame and when he's not addressing the problems, fans will eventually start to doubt.

We've gone from pushing for a Champions League place to hoping we win a relegation 6-pointer the week after the champions batter us. It's a shite state of affairs and the bloke who makes all of the decisions is to blame for it.

Don't give me this shite  like it's ok and we're all over-reacting to a small blip. It's been fucking awful, call a spade a fucking spade ffs.

Sickens me. All because Mike and Derek failed to invest and build on a great season. Came into this season thinking top 8 at best given the lack of investment but now having not really played well still, it is going to become a horrible nerve-racking season for us to endure.

I don't remember really having 'a defence' last season, I was just enjoying it IIRC.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not wedded to Pardew or desperate to defend him. I just think that what he achieved last year buys him more than a half season before he should be sacked. We'll get absolutely nowhere through sacking managers all the time, especially not with Ashley in charge.

I still rate him.

His career up to this point?

Amazing is seriously pushing it like. :lol: You know as well as I do that the same criticisms were aimed at him for large swathes of last season and your defence was always always "We're 5th. We're 5th. We're 5th"

Well now we're not 5th and won't be any time soon. What's the defence now? "We were 5th"

FFS. :lol:

:lol: tbf

A lot of it was.  we were lucky that we had a reasonably easy start to last season and were able to builf up a good head of steam early in the season which allowed us to get going.  We were lucky that Ba and Cisse were burying everything they hit at different times in the season and we had other luck but it wasn't all down to luck.

Ian W is on the payroll. Move along...

Or a fan with his own opinion.

The same opinion on every subject. Almost always the contrary one coincidentally.

I have feelings too you know.

You're the most lovable person I wouldn't ever want to meet. I worry for you at times like this.

Guest neesy111

I don't remember really having 'a defence' last season, I was just enjoying it IIRC.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not wedded to Pardew or desperate to defend him. I just think that what he achieved last year buys him more than a half season before he should be sacked. We'll get absolutely nowhere through sacking managers all the time, especially not with Ashley in charge.

I'm guessing the thing here is that people on here have different view points of when do you change things before it's too late.  We on current form are heading into a relegation crisis at this rate, when do you change things before its too late?

Ian W is on the payroll. Move along...

Or a fan with his own opinion.

The same opinion on every subject. Almost always the contrary one coincidentally.

I have feelings too you know.

You're the most lovable person I wouldn't ever want to meet. I worry for you at times like this.

Nah I'm fine, just hope we can get some results before too long.

They understand what dropping from 5th to whereever we end up means £'s.

They understand what dropping from 5th to whereever we end up means £'s.

Depends. They saved more not buying players.