Alan Pardew

Dave

Why is it?

If you have played football at even the lowest amatuer league levels you would know that football is not a simple game and that drills, strategies and philosophies play a huge part.

It is only a simple game.... on the playground when there are no refs, and a couple of jumpers for posts!

Having a game plan and philosophy is pretty simple stuff though.

As I said above, worrying about opposition is where it gets sticky and needlessly complex.

sorry to use another picture but;

http://u.goal.com/242800/242895hp2.jpg

Even at the most basic level, you have to start preparing your defence to face threats of opposition players, or, "fuck it, high line against one of the quickest players in the division"? I don't even rate Walcott but its suicidal inviting him to play on the shoulder...

This is the most basic example i could use, or for more in depth look at how Inter beat Barca on the way to champions league. They were fairly attacking on the way, but when they needed to, they were staunch against Barca and played in a  manner that they probably wouldnt have done against any other team.

There are exceptions when you must realise what other players can do to you, but I would have thought it would be painfully obvious to a top flight manager to not play a high line against a speed merchant. Again, it's not complicated, you still play to your own strengths and let the other team worry about you, just be aware of what certain players can do.

What frustrates me is that his actions are so ridiculous but he'll sprinkle in quotes that show he sees what we see - the subtle jabs at Simpson, intending to play Cisse through the middle, finally changing to 4-3-3 etc.

Then he'll start Shola upfront with Cisse on the wing, sub off our attacking threats and tell us to be grateful for his puppet master Ashley. The man is full of contradictions. He's somehow dragged this team into a relegation battle!

Yep. It won't help our cause that the upcoming fixtures really are 'must win' games - on the showing last night it certainly didn't look as though the team could handle such pressure. I just don't think we've got a squad that could handle a relegation battle. Where we differ from the likes of Southampton and Reading, et al, is that from the outset their players knew it would be a tough ask to stay in the league. They've been preparing mentally for this since August. We, on other hand, were never expected to be in this position. I hope I'm proved wrong, like, but I'm very worried about how our lot are going to handle the situation.

Guest icemanblue

Worth noting that his name is still being sung in the stadium, home and away.

I actually think that's a very good thing. By all means moan on here, but during the game support the team including the manager. I don't think that means that the match day crowd aren't unhappy with him and this season though, certainly not the people who sit around me anyway.

It is. What it does show is a willingness to persevere with the current setup, reasonably confident that things will improve. I think most people, with common sense, would agree that sacking the current encumbent is not the answer to our woes.

I think that would change fairly sharpish if we slipped into the relegation zone mind. At this point it would be hugely symbolic.

I disagree. I think most of the anger would be directed towards Mr Ashley.

Yeah there would certainly be a lot of that. I've never lost sight of the fact the summer was a fucking disgrace, even though I think Pardew should be doing a hell of a lot better. The message it sent out was arguably even more damaging than the physical deficiencies.

A lot of people have.

I'm not going to try to claim that Pardew's doing even remotely well. However, my stance hasn't changed since before these three less than winnable fixtures. The season is a write off, but I don't believe the majority of the blame lies at Pardew's feet. We will be fine, though.

I hope you're right but you've kept saying this for 2 months and we've slid ever closer to the drop zone and no team is ever too good to go down.

:lol: It's not up to me, like.

I've been saying it for two months, with confidence, because that's what I believe. That confidence comes from what I've seen on the pitch, and the players we have to come back.

I couldn't bring myself to write anything last night but read others posts with interest.

For me, if this squad of players ends op getting relegated its one of the single greatest managerial failures I've seen. We can all agree Ashley should have backed us more significantly in the summer, but the fact is that squad should be nowhere near a relegation battle, and that lies at the door of the manager. From baffling substitutions, and archaic gameplans he's well and truly put us in the shit this season. Our season wont hinge on games like last night, but it hinges on losing to Swansea and West Ham at home.

The worst part of it is now, even if we finish midtable I'd expect an exodus of our "purple" players. It's thoroughly depressing, but those are the facts. The worst part of all is even if we were to sack him, there isn't many viable options. I personally think Blanc would get a lot out of this squad, its most french speaking, but aside from that I don't know.

My biggest fear as well is that players will want to leave.

I've actually lost all confidence in Pardew now, the only reason I want him to stay is because I don't think we would find an appropriate replacement. Grim.

Guest neesy111

I actually think that's a very good thing. By all means moan on here, but during the game support the team including the manager. I don't think that means that the match day crowd aren't unhappy with him and this season though, certainly not the people who sit around me anyway.

It is. What it does show is a willingness to persevere with the current setup, reasonably confident that things will improve. I think most people, with common sense, would agree that sacking the current encumbent is not the answer to our woes.

I think that would change fairly sharpish if we slipped into the relegation zone mind. At this point it would be hugely symbolic.

Yeah there would certainly be a lot of that. I've never lost sight of the fact the summer was a fucking disgrace, even though I think Pardew should be doing a hell of a lot better. The message it sent out was arguably even more damaging than the physical deficiencies.

A lot of people have.

I'm not going to try to claim that Pardew's doing even remotely well. However, my stance hasn't changed since before these three less than winnable fixtures. The season is a write off, but I don't believe the majority of the blame lies at Pardew's feet. We will be fine, though.

I hope you're right but you've kept saying this for 2 months and we've slid ever closer to the drop zone and no team is ever too good to go down.

:lol: It's not up to me, like.

I've been saying it for two months, with confidence, because that's what I believe. That confidence comes from what I've seen on the pitch, and the players we have to come back.

I've got to admire your optimism.  Players coming back should be the difference though I agree.

Too much is being made of "players coming back..." The way our luck has panned out this season it seems like we're always going to have at least a few players waiting to "come back..." We should have dealt with these injuries a lot better than we have.

I think the next 3 league games will tell us a lot about what the near future holds. Injured players are returning, we should have atleast one signing playing and maybe more. If we're still pissing about and in a rut after those games then we really are completely screwed and Pardew will have nowhere else to look but in the mirror to find answers.

I couldn't bring myself to write anything last night but read others posts with interest.

For me, if this squad of players ends op getting relegated its one of the single greatest managerial failures I've seen. We can all agree Ashley should have backed us more significantly in the summer, but the fact is that squad should be nowhere near a relegation battle, and that lies at the door of the manager. From baffling substitutions, and archaic gameplans he's well and truly put us in the s*** this season. Our season wont hinge on games like last night, but it hinges on losing to Swansea and West Ham at home.

The worst part of it is now, even if we finish midtable I'd expect an exodus of our "purple" players. It's thoroughly depressing, but those are the facts. The worst part of all is even if we were to sack him, there isn't many viable options. I personally think Blanc would get a lot out of this squad, its most french speaking, but aside from that I don't know.

My biggest fear as well is that players will want to leave.

I've actually lost all confidence in Pardew now, the only reason I want him to stay is because I don't think we would find an appropriate replacement. Grim.

Literally exactly how I think at this moment in time. I want him gone but I'm shit scared of who might replace him. The most depressing part is that this will set us back another 3 years. We've got one of the nest squads we've had in ages, and he's put us i n serious relegation trouble. Horrendous

actually, thinking about it, assuming the club want to stop our better players leaving a manager from france might well be the route the go down in order to keep them happy

all of that based on the assumption we escape relegation and that MA & co. have eyes and can see pardew is failing

A lot of people have.

It'll be interesting to see the approach to next summer should we stay up, ie if it's any different. Being tight has its benefits but not when the outcome is a fall from grace like this. Pardew needs to be telling them that this just isn't good enough, whoever the manager is. As johnnypd posted elsewhere, there seems little foresight whatsoever from above. They think they know best all the time despite admitting to knowing fuck all about football.

5 days a week spent on defensive positioning?! Really?!

We're a shambles defensively and show no sign of improving. Clearly whatever Pardew is trying to do is not working.

Also, the mere fact that the team shape is dictated by how the opposition play puts Pardew in the same pile as Allardyce and other footballing dinosaurs.

I've been saying it for ages but I'll say it again - we should be working on a very definite way of playing, a style of football that plays to our strengths and is coached constantly, and then we go out to impose our game on the opposition. This is the way modern managers approach the game.

The longer this season goes on, the more last season looks like a fluke.

Couldn't agree more, and that's why the argument that we had prepared all week with Cisse playing on the wing is bullshit In my view. Why has he been playing on the wing? Pardew should have the whole squad set up to play a certain way so that when there are injuries players can step up without us losing our shape. Instead we can't even keep the same shape for the duration of one game. One minute we've got centre forwards on the wing, next we've got three of them all fighting for hoofballs as Pards panics and reverts to what he knows best. No wonder the players look all over the place by the time the whistle blows.

Talking about replacing him is pointless, as many people have said we won't get anyone better in. I'm so bored of watching us attempt to play football though. So many times when we went forward we were clueless. Our play is so static it's maddening. We pass the ball up to Marveaux and expecting him to do something without any support. He passes it back to Tiote who passes it back to Colo to begin the whole process again, until a player loses patience and attempts a pass or a shot and loses it.

Everton were such a stark contrast, there was so much focus and intent when they attacked. They always had an option when going forward.

We can't sack Pardew but we really, really fucking need to improve.

Why is it?

There's a great deal of complex thinking and preparation that goes into a match of professional football. Go read a book or something.

Have you played? You can tell me to read all the books you like, pouring too much thought into other teams and their tactics and worrying about what they are going to do is not a good thing imo.

Don't get me wrong, preparation is key. Vital in fact, but it has to be preparation to play to YOUR strengths. This is what I mean, it's a simple game it really is, don't spend days worrying about opposition.

I agree. I think you've got to know the opposition, know how to exploit them and how to stifle them but do it in a positive, constructive manner which focuses on your own teams strengths.

You've got to do both really, play to your strengths and stifle the opposition. You're teams "strengths" also don't exist in isolation, you need to analyze how they interact with the opposition's qualities so you can leverage them for maximum effect.

Either way, in no way, shape, or form is top level football a "simple" game. That's honestly just something fans make up to slag off managers and players.

good post :thup:

Guest icemanblue

I don't believe the majority of the blame lies at Pardew's feet. We will be fine, though.

find this staggering personally

Fair enough. :lol:

Tired of arguing it, tbh.

Guest icemanblue

A lot of people have.

It'll be interesting to see the approach to next summer should we stay up, ie if it's any different. Being tight has its benefits but not when the outcome is a fall from grace like this. Pardew needs to be telling them that this just isn't good enough, whoever the manager is. As johnnypd posted elsewhere, there seems little foresight whatsoever from above. They think they know best all the time despite admitting to knowing fuck all about football.

I've no doubt that whatever moves we make this month will be to the detriment of any summer plans.

I don't believe the majority of the blame lies at Pardew's feet. We will be fine, though.

Agreed. Look at that squad, and tell me why it should be 2 points off relegation? Who else is to blame? this is a pattern with Pardews sides, he got lucky to a degree that we have enough individual brilliance to bail him out

there's no question in my mind, none, that the "majority" of blame lies at his feet...again i'll contrast with rogers who was left with suarez as his only striker

they stuttered a bit and he probably made some excuses but he's a good enough manager to adapt and make things work...simple as that

Guest sicko2ndbest

Just watched his NUFCtv interview

Hit the nail on the head about everything

-pretty much said Simpson is gash. Santon not being helped because he is out only offensive fullback. Gives him chance to concentrate in defending more

- Baines and Fellaini the difference

- not right for a club as big as this to have that bench last night even though Bigi and Sammy did well

- we need 3 players

- spirit and effort were there, just lack experience and more 'good' players

Yeah there would certainly be a lot of that. I've never lost sight of the fact the summer was a f***ing disgrace, even though I think Pardew should be doing a hell of a lot better. The message it sent out was arguably even more damaging than the physical deficiencies.

A lot of people have.

It'll be interesting to see the approach to next summer should we stay up, ie if it's any different. Being tight has its benefits but not when the outcome is a fall from grace like this. Pardew needs to be telling them that this just isn't good enough, whoever the manager is. As johnnypd posted elsewhere, there seems little foresight whatsoever from above. They think they know best all the time despite admitting to knowing f*** all about football.

I've no doubt that whatever moves we make this month will be to the detriment of any summer plans.

Can you expand on that?

Yeah there would certainly be a lot of that. I've never lost sight of the fact the summer was a f***ing disgrace, even though I think Pardew should be doing a hell of a lot better. The message it sent out was arguably even more damaging than the physical deficiencies.

A lot of people have.

It'll be interesting to see the approach to next summer should we stay up, ie if it's any different. Being tight has its benefits but not when the outcome is a fall from grace like this. Pardew needs to be telling them that this just isn't good enough, whoever the manager is. As johnnypd posted elsewhere, there seems little foresight whatsoever from above. They think they know best all the time despite admitting to knowing f*** all about football.

Can you expand on that?

I'm guessing he means the board will use the excuse that they spent money in January so there's none for the summer.

Guest Eggenberger

Just watched his NUFCtv interview

Hit the nail on the head about everything

-pretty much said Simpson is gash. Santon not being helped because he is out only offensive fullback. Gives him chance to concentrate in defending more

- Baines and Fellaini the difference

- not right for a club as big as this to have that bench last night even though Bigi and Sammy did well

- we need 3 players

- spirit and effort were there, just lack experience and more 'good' players

All reasonable excuses in themselves but this is a results-oriented business.

Need a new manager in and some new ideas or half the team will fuck off in the summer, relegation or not.

Guest icemanblue

A lot of people have.

Can you expand on that?

We're making reactionary signings this month. Signings that we wouldn't have made if the season was going even slightly better, ie. no threat of relegation. The cost of these signings will, in my opinion, be deducted from any summer spending.

I don't necessarily agree that ALL of our good players will leave mind, it just never works out like that unless you go down. I haven't got any fears about us finding good new players anyway, we're great at that. If only MA and DL delegated the hiring of managers in such a successful system.

Guest neesy111

A lot of people have.

Can you expand on that?

We're making reactionary signings this month. Signings that we wouldn't have made if the season was going even slightly better, ie. no threat of relegation. The cost of these signings will, in my opinion, be deducted from any summer spending.

That will be an issue since clubs will be spending more next summer with the increased TV revenue coming in.

Agreed. Look at that squad, and tell me why it should be 2 points off relegation? Who else is to blame? this is a pattern with Pardews sides, he got lucky to a degree that we have enough individual brilliance to bail him out

there's no question in my mind, none, that the "majority" of blame lies at his feet...again i'll contrast with rogers who was left with suarez as his only striker

they stuttered a bit and he probably made some excuses but he's a good enough manager to adapt and make things work...simple as that

Liverpool are still stuttering a bit, but compare them with what was slowly happening under Dalglish. They've become far more fluent and their passing game is coming together because Rogers knows how he wants his team to play. The right way. Every game, at every level.