Alan Pardew

Dave

Perhaps the opposition were just very good at stifling us today? We have good footballers, yes, but it's not that simple, as different players suit different scenarios and styles. I'm not convinced Sissoko suits the AM role in matches like that for example, I think he's an excellent player, but his talents don't always lend themselves to such tight scenarios. I think he'd have had more joy running from deep with more options ahead of him.

My only criticism of Pardew today was keeping Gutierrez on over Gouffran.

I'd play Sissoko where Tiote plays and Marv where SS plays. My theory is that pards like SS where he is as he runs around putting pressure on the ball in their half.

Perhaps the opposition were just very good at stifling us today? We have good footballers, yes, but it's not that simple, as different players suit different scenarios and styles. I'm not convinced Sissoko suits the AM role in matches like that for example, I think he's an excellent player, but his talents don't always lend themselves to such tight scenarios. I think he'd have had more joy running from deep with more options ahead of him.

My only criticism of Pardew today was keeping Gutierrez on over Gouffran.

I'd play Sissoko where Tiote plays and Marv where SS plays.

Quite agree. We have options in midfield, it should be horses for courses.

I'd like to see Anita back in the team, in the role of picking the ball up off the defence so Cabaye can receive it 10 yards further forwards, with him and Sissoko equivalents. So:

Anita

Cabaye          Sissoko

Ben Arfa  Cisse  Gouffran

I don't really like this 4-2-3-1 business. Cabaye is too deep and Cisse is much too isolated.

he doesn't like us taking chances in defence, hence often when we get pressurized the team tend to pass back to keeper and hoof. But I really think he deserves credit for putting in Marveaux after we equalized, wich is unusual from him.

All 3 of his substitutions were great today, so relieved to see Campbell come on instead of Obertan and he played his part in the goal.

I'm fucking sick of watching us try to attack teams and have pretty much nothing to offer other than individual player traits.

We do nothing as a team going forward. It just goes wide and then if we can swing it in, we do. Against Stoke man. Honestly? That's the best we can do? Why aren't we working it into better positions from out wide and making them worry about movement and passing? Something that we've got the players to do. The only other bit of impetus we had today was Sissoko running from deep, that's just what he does and he'd do it for any team in any game against any opposition.

We just did enough to win today,just. Yes the substitute made the winner but fucking hell man he should have been on the pitch for much longer. What is this thing with Jonas playing 90 minutes? And Tiote getting a game over Anita in the league every week regardless of opposition. Pardew is far, far too concerned with stopping the opposition and I'm pig sick of watching it.

I posted the above in the match thread. There's something else I want to say in here though. We tend to judge Pardew game to game, 'he did ok today, poor performance today' etc. I think the bigger picture is more telling to be honest. The football is poor, unimaginative and workman like, overall it was the same last season, many voiced their concerns, and with this team it's not good enough.

You can only get so far on relying on your players individual ability and not appearing to attempt any sort of attacking, cohesive game plan to win a game. It's probably about 10th with this group of players.

Winning is good enough for now, no matter how badly we play. For that, monumental hats off.

For the remainder of this dogshit season and the cup competition we're still in, I agree.

I want to see some genuine progress on the footballing side next year though, and that doesn't necessarily mean a particularly high finish.

Guest bimpy474

Now i do like to slate Pardew but for some reason today i find myself unable to.

Sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition, Stoke stopped us playing, combined with us not playing well but we won, we found a way and that's promising because we would have lost this game earlier in the season.

Still no fan of Pardew's but benefit of the doubt as his subs this time won us the game.

The monumental cracks continue to be papered over.

We can't even look like a decent team against Stoke, but I see that's good enough based on what I've been reading from the usual mob.

They've lost their last 5 games by a one goal margin. It was never going to be an easy afternoon.

I think creatively we are too dependant on Ben Arfa, which is what irks me greatly about Pardew. Seems unable to make the team play attractive football and our only creativity comes from individual brilliances (like Marvs pass today).

I'm fucking sick of watching us try to attack teams and have pretty much nothing to offer other than individual player traits.

We do nothing as a team going forward. It just goes wide and then if we can swing it in, we do. Against Stoke man. Honestly? That's the best we can do? Why aren't we working it into better positions from out wide and making them worry about movement and passing? Something that we've got the players to do. The only other bit of impetus we had today was Sissoko running from deep, that's just what he does and he'd do it for any team in any game against any opposition.

We just did enough to win today,just. Yes the substitute made the winner but fucking hell man he should have been on the pitch for much longer. What is this thing with Jonas playing 90 minutes? And Tiote getting a game over Anita in the league every week regardless of opposition. Pardew is far, far too concerned with stopping the opposition and I'm pig sick of watching it.

I posted the above in the match thread. There's something else I want to say in here though. We tend to judge Pardew game to game, 'he did ok today, poor performance today' etc. I think the bigger picture is more telling to be honest. The football is poor, unimaginative and workman like, overall it was the same last season, many voiced their concerns, and with this team it's not good enough.

You can only get so far on relying on your players individual ability and not appearing to attempt any sort of attacking, cohesive game plan to win a game. It's probably about 10th with this group of players.

He's a defensive coach, he's never gonna change. Never. Ever.

We've got no offensive gameplan apart from individual brilliance and overlapping fullbacks.

That's it.

Cause our two players who have vision weren't on the park (one was for 14min). We scored the winner with a ball threaded through the middle. There would be more of that if the actual players who can do it started games.

Now i do like to slate Pardew but for some reason today i find myself unable to.

Sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition, Stoke stopped us playing, combined with us not playing well but we won, we found a way and that's promising because we would have lost this game earlier in the season.

Still no fan of Pardew's but benefit of the doubt as his subs this time won us the game.

Stoke were very good at getting behind the ball and stopping us getting a decent chance. When Sissoko or Gouffran looked to get through there was always about 3 players around them.

It's easier for a team to defend when they have absolutely no desire to win which they clearly didn't.

Agree with your two above posts Parky. Also I should clarify. I've said you can only get so far playing like that with these players....we got to 5th, but I feel like the average finish over time will be about 10th if he doesn't improve or take advice.

Guest bimpy474

Stoke were very good at getting behind the ball and stopping us getting a decent chance. When Sissoko or Gouffran looked to get through there was always about 3 players around them.

It's easier for a team to defend when they have absolutely no desire to win which they clearly didn't.

Exactly as i saw it, which tbf to them they deserve some credit for. The defending part i mean. As for ambition, just a joke really.

Guest bimpy474

Stoke's gameplan has always been to stifle the opposition and hope that something drops when they launch it up the pitch. The only way you can really open them up is if you score early and they're forced to chase the game. It was always going to be a much more difficult game than most anticipated.

Aye, if we got an early goal they would have had to come out and Sissoko would have found more space imo.