Alan Pardew

Dave

As we've written on these pages too often over the years, we're on the final lap and in some distress, staggering towards the finishing line. This season is proving to be no exception.

... is food for thought.

I'm guessing you mean this in a "This is just us, it'll be the same if we get rid of Pards" kind of way?

The shape of the club is one of the best it's ever been in, the owner in spite of being an apparently sadistic bellend has actually done wonders with us, a very good manager is the final piece of the puzzle that we need imo (maybe a new coaching staff too). In the past when we've limped over the line the whole club has been surrounded with turmoil, there's none of that now, everything is strangely calm.

Personally I think this unreserved praise for Ashley/criticism for Pardew angle is a bit off.

It can't be denied that the books look better than have in a while (yippee) but when you look at what Ashley's actually implemented since he's been here the two stand outs for me are sensible spending and advertising for his company (which he's entitled to do). I don't necessarily think that he just spends the bare minimum (as I used to think) otherwise I don't think we'd have seen new long contracts for Tiote/Krul or recruitment of Sissoko/MYM etc who must be on decent wages even though they were brought in for relatively cheap, but I still feel his priority is SD and always will be.

Ashley has backed a great scout and well done to him for that, but lets not forget that Pardew is their man and he was specifically brought in to be their mouthpiece as well as the guy who picks the 11 on a Saturday. They want a 'stable' set up in the club so they can do what they want, when they want, footballing success is not the priority (I said all of this when Pardew was appointed and I still believe it). The reduction in expectation exercise that Pardew is always on comes right from the top.

The club may be in the best financial  shape it's been in for some time, but the ambition to do well on the pitch is arguably the lowest it's been in 25 years.

I wouldn't really praise Ashley too highly myself like, he's undoubtedly improved from a few years ago but he still has his obvious faults and as you say his main priority probably is his sports empire. He has however got the club in an almost unprecedented state of calm despite our ridiculous season, and has the club running in a way that if managed correctly shouldbe  a force in the league, the only thing that is hindering us (providing we continue to invest into the squad the same way we have over the past year and a half) is our ability to get our players functioning together on the pitch imo. Obviously that comes down to Ashley and whether or not he has the will and ability to get rid of Pardew and replace him with someone better suited to the cause. I'm still not sure he'd go for the right man but I would certainly take the gamble.

I still dread the days of under fat Fred though.  Sure we had some success.  But it was still madness.

I'd have it back now.

Really? They were some good times to be fair,  spunked a lot of money on fatties like kluivert and such but wasn't all bad.

I still dread the days of under fat Fred though.  Sure we had some success.  But it was still madness.

I'd have it back now.

Really? They were some good times to be fair,  spunked a lot of money on fatties like kluivert and such but wasn't all bad.

Aye. That free transfer Kluivert is the best example by far.

Why would anyone want that mentality back man? It wasn't just that we were spending, we were spunking money away for the sake of it. I'd quite happily see us spend £40m under Ashley mind as I trust this set-up to reap the rewards from it.

it was crazy, i know lots would say its not our money. But it was not sustainable.  It was a matter of time before it hit the fan.

I'd have it back now.

Aye. That free transfer Kluivert is the best example by far.

i know all players come to play for free. dont have to pay their wages.

ah the good old days of PK  you changed my mind ronnie. i do want fat fred back.

the thing is nowhe's got nowhere near the financial clout to compete. Ashley does however, but long term he is doing the right thing. It's just not as immediately exciting as those days

i remember transfer rumours back in them days were always very exciting to be fair.  nowadays, its like ok he plays in france.

I'd have it back now.

Whilst Ashley's plan is far more sustainable long term, it would be decent to see Fat Fred spunking loads of cash on Mourinho/Falcoa etc. But yeah like you say Ashley's is more sustainable. Just nice to be a force at times.

I like it that we don't spent silly money for players that are past it or just want to join for money. Also, to only go for players that have the right age seems right to me.

Still, think exceptions should be made.

For example, I think we should have gone for Berbatov the moment he stated his desire to leave Man Utd. How much was it? 8 million? Top, top player. Can carry a team on his own at times.

ah the good old days of PK  you changed my mind ronnie. i do want fat fred back.

Not trying to change anybody's mind, just Kluivert's a very poor example of what you're trying to convey about the FS era. Kluivert was a very good footballer and getting him was an astute piece of business given his pedigree and what we needed at the time - a replacement for Shearer. He could and should have been a success here.

Not trying to change anybody's mind, just Kluivert's a very poor example of what you're trying to convey about the FS era. Kluivert was a very good footballer and getting him was an astute piece of business given his pedigree and what we needed at the time - a replacement for Shearer. He could and should have been a success here.

i know what you're trying to say Ron, he may not be the best example, but i class him as one of many trophy signings under fat fred. one to please the fans to cover his own ass.  Trophy signings that clearly joined because we were offering the highest wage packet at the time.

I'd have it back now.

Whilst Ashley's plan is far more sustainable long term, it would be decent to see Fat Fred spunking loads of cash on Mourinho/Falcoa etc. But yeah like you say Ashley's is more sustainable. Just nice to be a force at times.

I like it that we don't spent silly money for players that are past it or just want to join for money. Also, to only go for players that have the right age seems right to me.

For example, I think we should have gone for Berbatov the moment he stated his desire to leave Man Utd. How much was it? 8 million? Top, top player. Can carry a team on his own at times.

£4.4m, no perceived sell-on fee though ain't it :anguish:

I'd have it back now.

Can carry a team at times but also a passenger a lot of times.  I like him too, but another player that couldnt look more like a fish out of water under the style of Pardew's team.

I'd have it back now.

Our record of signing Man Utd players is a poor one tbf.

Smith, Butt and Obertan. :scared:

I'd have it back now.

Our record of signing Man Utd players is a poor one tbf.

Smith, Butt and Obertan. :scared:

Not to forget everyone's favourite full-back...