Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm probably extremely naive here but I'm still confident we'll get at least two of Debuchy, Carroll and Douglas. With a few exceptions, there doesn't seem to be much genuine interest in those three apart from us.

Lille, Liverpool and Twente would probably rather cash in now. Douglas' contract expires and Debuchy and Carroll's prices are likely to drop next window for different reasons.

The fact that they're all players who play in different positions also gives me a bit of hope. That indicates that if the price is right we might sign all three.

In isolation, we have probably had an OK window. But obviously looking at the bigger picture, other teams have strengthened and as such, it's going to be difficult to be fighting at the same level as last year.

In reality this thread is a week early... The arrival of Debuchy... Douglas... a forward... will change most current perceptions as will a major departure... For what it's worth I can't see anyone leaving other than Simpson if Debuchy comes in and Zaha possibly... Douglas would be a nice bonus... I think the problem with the Debuchy deal is the size of the offers coming in for Simpson being not as high as the club hoped as much as the fee Lille have placed on Debuchy...

Up until a couple of days ago most clubs had a similar summer to us, very quiet, if anyone came in it was mostly youngsters and those who were active have mostly bought shit, apart from Chelsea who have just flooded their midfield.

We still have a week to go and I think from tomorrow onwards the transfer window will be very very active with new deals coming in all the time.

It's difficult to sum it up rally until it's done and over.

At the moment I'd say our lack of progress is very frustrating, however it's not a major issue until other clubs start to make progress.

Guest Realist

Surely if we were 2 players away from challenging for CL spots, that means all the players we didn't replace would have had to perform to the heady heights of last season, correct?  This seems a foregone conclusion that they would have and that the two new players would have pushed us on.  But by not buying much, we're just expecting those players to ... perform .. to ... the heady heights of last season again.  And this is now criticized as a gamble or uncertainty or unambitious?

I guess I'm getting at two things: 1) Ambition is a metric not measured solely in terms of pounds sterling spent.  2) I think it's actually a gamble either way but only one position is being presented as such.  The outcome of "speculate to accumulate" is not always positive. 

I'm ok (not elated, not suicidal) with us still taking baby steps. 

I'm getting more annoyed the more days go by without even the slightest possibility of a player coming in. It's pathetic that we've only spent about £2million with 5 days left.

The only good transfer I remember us completing this late in recent years was Ben Arfa who signed (on loan) on the 27/28th. Our transfer policy (low price or move on) just isn't likely to get results in the last week of the window.

Guest BooBoo

Didn't we get Santon a few days before the window closed last summer?

We're not usually deadlie day buyers but there's still a slight chance yet.

I'm getting more annoyed the more days go by without even the slightest possibility of a player coming in. It's pathetic that we've only spent about £2million with 5 days left.

The only good transfer I remember us completing this late in recent years was Ben Arfa who signed (on loan) on the 27/28th. Our transfer policy (low price or move on) just isn't likely to get results in the last week of the window.

What about deadline day with Beye & Faye?

If we were to sign their equivalents this deadline day I think we'd be over the moon.

So familiar with this "oh shit, there are only a few days left" feeling now. :lol:  Not particularly happy about it as usual.  On the other hand I expected Ba and/or Tiote to get sold.  3 more players and we've got a phenomenal squad, as it stands though we're crossing our fingers about injuries yet again.

If we were to sign their equivalents this deadline day I think we'd be over the moon.

Faye was shit and no one was happy to get him, Beye was unknown and a great player for us, he was a positive but at the time I doubt anyone was buzzing.

Faye was shit and no one was happy to get him, Beye was unknown and a great player for us, he was a positive but at the time I doubt anyone was buzzing.

What? :lol:

I meant more post-Kinnear when Ashley stopped paying big fees.

Forgot about Santon.

I meant more post-Kinnear when Ashley stopped paying big fees.

Forgot about Santon.

To be fair though, we've only had 3 since then, one was in the Championship and as you mention, we got HBA in one of the others. This is the fourth so it's a bit unfair to say if there's a pattern or not yet.

Guest BooBoo

I think if we are to get anyone in, then it'll have to be before the actual deadline day. We seem pretty loathe to be tying up deals at the last minute. If we've not got anyone in by Thursday, it'll be curtains IMO.

I think if we are to get anyone in, then it'll have to be before the actual deadline day. We seem pretty loathe to be tying up deals at the last minute. If we've not got anyone in by Thursday, it'll be curtains IMO.

What do you mean by curtains exactly?