Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If AP's comments from todays presser unfold to be true, i.e. nobody comes till 11pm on Friday, it'll be a p*ss take on all NUFC fans:

- second half of last season the mantra was that we'll signifficantly stregthen in the summer if we qualify for Europe

- in June, we were targeting a close pal of Cabaye, a goal-scoring CB, all in all no less than 4-5 quality signings

- then all of a sudden, the targets became 2 to 3, if 'they offer enough value', a bid for AC was made, showing some intent to the fans that the club will actively seek for reinforcements

- in August, the new song was 1, maybe 2 newbies

- 3 days before the window shuts, the incomings all of a sudden become unlikely, because - quelle surprise - the targeted players appeared to be settled at their clubs(!?)

So what's the obvious conclusion - AP has constantly mislead us, time and time again. They are taking us as complete mugs...

Isn't most of that just us fans realigning our expectations because we're running out of time?

Ah Ian, only a matter of time before he arrived.

Shit, what happened to this thread over the last few hours? Someone has turned on the bullshit tap and run away. Depressing to have to go over these arguments every time we have a transfer window that isn't what everyone wants.

Depressing that we can't have a sensible discussion about it without people being accused of hyperbole. I'd be impressed if you can find anyone that wanted us to sign no first team players btw.

Shit, what happened to this thread over the last few hours? Someone has turned on the bullshit tap and run away. Depressing to have to go over these arguments every time we have a transfer window that isn't what everyone wants.

Depressing that we can't have a sensible discussion about it without people being accused of hyperbole. I'd be impressed if you can find anyone that wanted us to sign no first team players btw.

Obviously, everyone wants signings, the more exciting the better.

People will be accused of hyperbole when they use a slightly sub-standard transfer window to get angry with a regime that has recently delivered some absolutely class signings.

I'm definitely not arguing that everything is perfect, I never have. It's just incredible to see how we revert to the old arguments as soon as a window becomes a bit frustrating.

Uncal Eric is back...

I take it the kids didn't like your story.  :lol:

Currently building a tower with the lego I've given them earlier, they're not questioning where it's at, refreshing.

s***, what happened to this thread over the last few hours? Someone has turned on the bullshit tap and run away. Depressing to have to go over these arguments every time we have a transfer window that isn't what everyone wants.

People will be accused of hyperbole when they use a slightly sub-standard transfer window to get angry with a regime that has recently delivered some absolutely class signings.

I'm definitely not arguing that everything is perfect, I never have. It's just incredible to see how we revert to the old arguments as soon as a window becomes a bit frustrating.

It really is incredible

Uncal Eric is back...

I take it the kids didn't like your story.  :lol:

Currently building a tower with the lego I've given them earlier, they're not questioning where it's at, refreshing.

I hope they dont build it on dodgy financial foundations.

s***, what happened to this thread over the last few hours? Someone has turned on the bullshit tap and run away. Depressing to have to go over these arguments every time we have a transfer window that isn't what everyone wants.

I personally don't care about exciting, addressing squad weakness now we have more commitments is an absolute must, exciting doesn't even come into it.

As for a sub-standard window? What? This is no different to any other, if Anita turns into a Cabaye or Tiote and we somehow suffer no injuries and start this season like last, everyone will forget. Likewise, last season could have went tits up and everyone would have continued to go apeshit about not signing a striker, it's same old, same old.

What is the point in giving Carr a contract as long as his, letting him scout for a specific window and then not acting on it?

I personally don't care about exciting, addressing squad weakness now we have more commitments is an absolute must, exciting doesn't even come into it.

As for a sub-standard window? What? This is no different to any other, if Anita turns into a Cabaye or Tiote and we somehow suffer no injuries and start this season like last, everyone will forget. Likewise, last season could have went tits up and everyone would have continued to go apeshit about not signing a striker, it's same old, same old.

What is the point in giving Carr a contract as long as his, letting him scout for a specific window and then not acting on it?

We did get a striker in the summer, we signed Ba.  Then went and spent 9 mil in January on another striker.

The window is not shut yet, how do you know we are not acting on the players Carr has scouted?

Not sure I understand your point Eric, who says we haven't acted on what Carr has done? All we seem to do is sign players identified by him.

That was just one point, but I'll answer anyway, other than Obertan, yes all our recent signings are Carr's I believe.

We've targeted a RB, we have no RB, we targeted a CB in January, we still haven't got him now (Kadar for Good) and we've also lost two strikers and failed with bids to get just one in thus far.

Not sure I understand your point Eric, who says we haven't acted on what Carr has done? All we seem to do is sign players identified by him.

That was just one point, but I'll answer anyway, other than Obertan, yes all our recent signings are Carr's I believe.

We've targeted a RB, we have no RB, we targeted a CB in January, we still haven't got him now (Kadar for Good) and we've also lost two strikers and failed with bids to get just one in thus far.

I know we haven't closed those particular deals yet, but that doesn't mean we aren't acting on Carr's advice. We just haven't managed to close the deals.

We did get a striker in the summer, we signed Ba.  Then went and spent 9 mil in January on another striker.

The window is not shut yet, how do you know we are not acting on the players Carr has scouted?

I'm not sure if it's ADHD, you having no comprehension skills or you're just thick but here's a reminder from last summer from the gaffer, it might spark something in your head.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/14850990

I'm not sure if it's ADHD, you having no comprehension skills or you're just thick but here's a reminder from last summer from the gaffer, it might spark something in your head.

Did we or did we not get a striker in the summer and did we or did we not go and spend 9 million in the January transfer window on a striker?

Here are some quotes from another sub-standard window (turned out pretty well in the end mind)

Pardew said: "The criticism that's going to come from not getting a striker in has some validity to it because seven months is a long time.

"We bid for three or four players and none of them came to fruition."

The Newcastle manager's comments about the board are unlikely to appease owner Mike Ashley. Pardew said: "I can only say that, from my point of view, we put the targets in front of the board and then it comes down to financial decisions, and that financial decision didn't take place."

Not including the period before January when we failed to get the CB Pardew said we were desperate for and despite having more games, those same quotes will apply to that position. Ditto RB and Striker if they don't arrive as they've been identified and we scout well in advance they claim.

So what is Pardew's point? Carr identifies the player, he agrees, yet they don't act on that advice, it's awfully familiar this sub-standard window.

Did we or did we not get a striker in the summer and did we or did we not go and spend 9 million in the January transfer window on a striker?

I know reading and writing are clearly an issue with you so no matter what I say you'll miss it, but has anyone, and I mean anyone said we didn't? That's the answer to your stupid, irrelevant question. Stop trying to construct a strawman and just read, you might learn something.

I know reading and writing are clearly an issue with you so no matter what I say you'll miss it, but has anyone, and I mean anyone said we didn't? That's the answer to your stupid, irrelevant question. Stop trying to construct a strawman and just read, you might learn something.

Did we get a striker in the summer then go and spend 9 mil on a striker in january?

What about all the quotes after the players we have signed, and all the quotes from Pardew about how he is getting good support from the board?

This discussion isn't going anywhere actually, feel free to ignore me.

What about them? I'm not sure what your point is? Here are the transactions since Pardew has been in charge, has he really had good support? January aside, we've always been left disappointed haven't we (even then I think many would have settled for a CB as that was our supposed priority).

Combined Totals £353,545,000     £252,525,000 £101,020,000 1214

Players Purchased Fee   Players Sold Fee Net Total Points Position

Season 12/13            

Romain Amalfitano Free   Daniel Taylor Free    

Gael Bigirimana £1,000,000   Leon Best £3,000,000    

Vurnon Anita £6,700,000   Danny Guthrie Free   Prem

Fraser Forster £2,000,000   PTS POS

Peter Lövenkrands Free    

Alan Smith Free    

Total £7,700,000     £5,000,000 £2,700,000  

Season 11/12            

Mehdi Abeid Free   Kevin Nolan £3,500,000    

Sylvain Marveaux Free   Patrick McLaughlin Free    

Yohan Cabaye £5,000,000   Daniel Leadbitter Free    

Demba Ba Free   Ben Tozer Free    

Gabriel Obertan £3,000,000   Sanchez Jose Enrique £6,300,000    

Davide Santon £5,300,000   Joey Barton Free    

Robert Elliot £100,000   Wayne Routledge £2,000,000   Prem

Papiss Demba Cisse £10,000,000         PTS POS

Total £23,400,000     £11,800,000 £11,600,000 65 5

Season 10/11            

James Perch £1,000,000   Andrew Carroll £35,000,000    

Dan Gosling Free          

Sol Campbell Free          

Ismael Tioté £3,500,000         Prem

Hatem Ben Arfa £5,750,000         PTS

My point is that Pardew is being "supported" as much as any manager bar the mega-rich. Something you were arguing against, so I replied to you.

If you've been disappointed by our recent signings then it's pointless discussing this with you, as that's a crazy point of view on any normal measure.

Obviously the majority of targets we've set up just havent ended up being viable options, dont see how we're not acting on Carr/Pards ideas.

We can debate whether thats our fault or the other clubs, but its pointless discussion without knowing the exact details of why we arent tieing the deals up. Ive seen solid arguments on both sides of us perhaps trying our luck to much vs us sticking to the principles that have worked well for us so far.

Id fall on the side of trusting the club atm. I believe Ashley is showing ambition signing someone like Cisse & a player like Anita myself & i believe he trusts our current setup much more. Tbh his principles in terms of making a stronger scouting network, signing younger players, looking for contract issues to get value, paying upfront, being harder to negotiate with etc have all worked for us. If we're not signing people there will be reasons why which likely make a lot of sense.