Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One final time, to try and get it into your head, nobody is complaining about the signings made, stop creating strawmen.

Who isn't happy with the transfer policy? Name them? You're just making stuff up man, it looks to me that everyone is happy that we're after a RB and Forward (as well as the CB from January) we'd even settle for not landing all three (I would imagine everyone would be b****** delighted with all 3) but p*ssed off that it looks like we're not going to land them and that we haven't gone on to the next player on the list from those positions.

I've answered every single one of your rubbish theories, yet you still come up with strawmen and utter bollocks, if that's not apologising what is?

It may happen next window, or the one after that, oh well that's ok then, it worked last season, so it's bound to work everytime.

Whats your basis for this Eric?

You quoted pards before saying theres only 2-3 names on our list for each position. I can already think of 2 we've tried for RB for example. Your argument if anything should be that we dont scout enough replacements, not that we're not going for them of which theres no evidence atall.

Even if you take it literally instead of a figure of speech, I can think of 2 RB's if we include VDV, 2 CB's and 2 strikers, where's the 3rd of each (not that I think he meant it literally). When you consider the amount of strikers we ticked off last summer as they turned us down one by one, I'd be pretty amazed if there were literally only 2 or 3 per targeted position.

Talks stalled weeks ago on all the positions we're looking to strenghen in, no new targets have been brough to our attention, no new bids, no talks and our Manager is saying he expects nowt to happen, other than that, there is nothing to suggest we haven't got all our secondary / tertiary targets lined up.

Check out the programme notes v Leicester City in May 1992:

"Watch out Alex, we'll be after your title"- KK

That's vision and positive thinking, not this "be thankful for what we've got" crap.

Far too many of our fans have a very small time attitude now imo. Happy to exist in mid table financial stability and anything else is a bonus.

The club like to perpetuate it too. "Please don't take our players, pretty please?"

So...yeah I'm disappointed so far, last minute deals still possible but I have a feeling we are gonna struggle to maintain our top 7 status this season, with the squad the way it is and I can't shake the thought that Cisse may have a down season this season, and that could kill us. Needed another striker, a RB and a first team CB to replace Taylor when he inevitably goes down. With the extra games of europe the squad looks extremely light to me. 

That's vision and positive thinking, not this "be thankful for what we've got" crap.

Yet everybody has cheap digs at him at any available opportunity.

Far too many of our fans have a very small time attitude now imo. Happy to exist in mid table financial stability and anything else is a bonus.

The club like to perpetuate it too. "Please don't take our players, pretty please?"

Completely agree, although considering the struggles on and off the pitch since Sir Bobby was sacked i'm not surprised by that attitude.

Although i'm not one who agrees with it, i would like to have seen us push on but i guess its not to be.

It's not just the small time attitude, it's the unquestionable faith they have that because last year's gamble paid off everything before it has been forgotten and "if it's not addressed this window, it will the next one, or the one after that." This window is just a sub-standard blip.

Brainwashed, it's a now a cult, like the polar opposite of Liverpool.

Pardew spoke at the end of last season of calming expectations, yet then he was speaking of adding 4 or 5 quality additions because of the extra burden of Europe then just last week he was talking about challenging the top 4, with one first team addition, something doesn't quite add up.

It isn't a 'small time attitude' to acknowledge that there are at least 5 or 6 teams that can afford to spend substantially more than us. 

It isn't a 'small time attitude' to acknowledge that in order to compete with these clubs on any level we need to be run on a sensible financial basis.

It isn't a 'small time attitude' to acknowledge that there are at least 5 or 6 teams that can afford to spend substantially more than us. 

It isn't a 'small time attitude' to acknowledge that in order to compete with these clubs on any level we need to be run on a sensible financial basis.

More than that regularly outspend us, we're 19th in net spend in the last 5 years, yet we finished 5th last year.

We're ran sensibly and adding a RB, CB cover and Striker could all be done for the same amount of money they've had in failed bids already.

This defeatist and apologist attitude is exactly what people are talking about.

So arrogant the way people group others' views together under some imaginary banner and dismiss them with insults and generalisations. Why not just discuss the point like normal humans?

Irony at it's finest.

So arrogant the way people group others' views together under some imaginary banner and dismiss them with insults and generalisations. Why not just discuss the point like normal humans?

Irony at it's finest.

I've never done that, I just state my points of view.

Can't believe I caved in and posted again! You're irresistible Eric.

Irony at it's finest.

I've never done that, I just state my points of view.

Can't believe I caved in and posted again! You're irresistible Eric.

Cheers Ian pet.

More than that regularly outspend us, we're 19th in net spend in the last 5 years, yet we finished 5th last year.

We're ran sensibly and adding a RB, CB cover and Striker could all be done for the same amount of money they've had in failed bids already.

You've got to add a bit of context to what you are saying.

We were in a terrible financial position not very long ago.  That seems to have been forgotten.  We still can't afford to spend large amounts of money.  Personally I would have liked us to have added more players this transfer window so we could have made an extra push towards 4th place, but I would much rather get the right players in at the right price than take gambles on players that aren't right for us.

In addition, for someone who is so keen on the net spend issue - could you let me know where we were in the 'NET SPEND TOTALISER' for January 2012?

How is what I've said not ambitious? Just because I don't mind us doing things gradually and safely. This regime has demonstrated over the last 3 years that they know what they're doing, that we are making good progress, and nothing that has or hasn't happened this summer has convinced me that we haven't done things right. If one more player comes in no-one will be happier than me, but you'd think we'd sold Cisse and Ba going by some reactions in here.

People say we are short up front, and we maybe are slightly, but if we play what IMO is our best formation, there's only room for 1 or 2 strikers in it max.

And surely Anita is a viable option at full back now too.

Buying 1 first team player and what seems a back up player at that is not showing ambition especially when the club supposedly want us to push for top 4.

The club wants CL football and i don't see how Pardew has been backed enough to reach those goals or get close to them for that matter.

We are short upfront mainly because of AFCON, if Senegal qualify for it then we are well and truly f*cked.

Playing Anita at fullback for long periods is like playing Jonas at fullback.... can he do it? sure, should he be doing it? nope.

At the end of the day, I just want to watch NUFC play. Deep down I couldn't give two fucks if we spend £60million or £6million. We proved last year we can compete with the top 6. This year may be harder, who knows, but as things stands we've got the same team + Anita and a few good prospects. We also have Stevie Taylor fit, Ben Arfa fit and playing, Cisse for a full season, and Marveaux fit. There's a lot to be positive about. Like them or not, the board have proved over the last few years that they know what they're doing.

In an ideal world we'd sign one or two more players, but I genuinely can't believe the negativity around what is our best team in donkeys. We should be confident of competing with this team. Sure, we have more games to play, but we've got a lot of quality so we should be able to deal with it IMO.

I've actually got to the point of hoping for one more signing, not for the sake of the squad, but so this board doesn't implode.

In my time supporting the club there's been only a few real visionaries: Kevin Keegan, John Hall and Bobby Robson. Blokes who thought "bollocks to being an also ran, let's take this club somewhere special". Ashley and co are like far too many other managers, players and even fans who are content to shuffle their feet and say "oh we'll, we ARE only Newcastle United, let's be happy with what we have." Depressing outlook on life in general and certainly in football.

For what it's worth, I think Pardew has shown enough in his time here to suggest that we could really make an assault on 4th place if he'd been backed.

Bullocks man.

I see a NUFC team now who is the most entertaining i have seen in a long time. Players who are way above anything we have had in almost 10 years.

Last season we finished 5th, amazing stuff, fucking best i have felt in a long time.

I find it more miserable to go around in life, as a fan as i am, always complaining like a spoiled child that we did not get X player etc.

(Not a dig at you that)

I simply enjoy football, and the sooner the transfer window is over, the better.

Its a fucking crime against humanity that the transfer window does not end before the season, it ruin people  :lol:

And to be honest, i do not think a RB and a striker would propel us into the top 4 next season anyway, and that is not being pessimistic, but a realistic optimist  :lol:

Also, some people here say spurs are so active, and sign players etc. If you look at Spurs you see they usually sell a star player to invest in the squad.

Like we did with Carroll. Who would you sell?

Fuck me.

I do wish that people would just guess how much money you have available to spend and have it in a poll. Isn't that the crux? Last year you made a relatively small loss before Carroll (B.C.?). You'd expect to have that money to spend plus the new TV money, and other things (increased kit money??), less the Cisse fee/wages and this summer's transactions. I'd guess (completely off the top of my head) that you should be looking at spending about 15M, plus a few mill if a cracking deal comes up. In other words, a couple of players who'd improve the team. Anything short of that would be a "disappointment".

Just talking about net transfer spend is misleading. Why not just talk about how much money is available, how much you stand to gain by getting CL (although I do think that's unlikely) and how much you stand to lose by dropping behind, say, Chelsea, Liverpool and Everton (and staying behind Spurs)?

Guest BooBoo

Fuck me, the amount of people out there who are suckered in and brainwashed after one good season is absurd.

Let's see if the same trumpet is being blown the next time Danny Simpson drops a bollock or Shola has a shocker.

You've got to add a bit of context to what you are saying.

We were in a terrible financial position not very long ago.  That seems to have been forgotten.  We still can't afford to spend large amounts of money.  Personally I would have liked us to have added more players this transfer window so we could have made an extra push towards 4th place, but I would much rather get the right players in at the right price than take gambles on players that aren't right for us.

In addition, for someone who is so keen on the net spend issue - could you let me know where we were in the 'NET SPEND TOTALISER' for January 2012?

Context is we're not in a terrible financial position, we've returned to profit, we can afford to spend large sums of money (by our standards) as our failed bids are proof of.

They've put aside quite a substantial amount of money judging by the failed bids to strengthen, I just hope some of it used to strenghten our weaknesses, I don't care how much it is, we can clearly afford it or they wouldn't have been in for them in the first place.

We spent a whopping £7m in January didn't we? Held back from from the Carroll sale some 12 Months prior.

A little bit of invention, a little bit of ambition and we might have as good a season as we did last Year.

f*** me, the amount of people out there who are suckered in and brainwashed after one good season is absurd.

Let's see if the same trumpet is being blown the next time Danny Simpson drops a bollock or Shola has a shocker.

To be honest, it's probably the same people who were able to foresee that getting rid of Nolan and Barton and acquiring the likes of Cabaye and Ba was a step in the right direction as opposed to running round prophesying disaster and gloom.  So I know who I am more inclined to agree with.

At the end of the day, I just want to watch NUFC play. Deep down I couldn't give two fucks if we spend £60million or £6million. We proved last year we can compete with the top 6. This year may be harder, who knows, but as things stands we've got the same team + Anita and a few good prospects. We also have Stevie Taylor fit, Ben Arfa fit and playing, Cisse for a full season, and Marveaux fit. There's a lot to be positive about. Like them or not, the board have proved over the last few years that they know what they're doing.

In an ideal world we'd sign one or two more players, but I genuinely can't believe the negativity around what is our best team in donkeys. We should be confident of competing with this team. Sure, we have more games to play, but we've got a lot of quality so we should be able to deal with it IMO.

I've actually got to the point of hoping for one more signing, not for the sake of the squad, but so this board doesn't implode.

In my time supporting the club there's been only a few real visionaries: Kevin Keegan, John Hall and Bobby Robson. Blokes who thought "bollocks to being an also ran, let's take this club somewhere special". Ashley and co are like far too many other managers, players and even fans who are content to shuffle their feet and say "oh we'll, we ARE only Newcastle United, let's be happy with what we have." Depressing outlook on life in general and certainly in football.

For what it's worth, I think Pardew has shown enough in his time here to suggest that we could really make an assault on 4th place if he'd been backed.

Bullocks man.

I see a NUFC team now who is the most entertaining i have seen in a long time. Players who are way above anything we have had in almost 10 years.

Last season we finished 5th, amazing stuff, fucking best i have felt in a long time.

I find it more miserable to go around in life, as a fan as i am, always complaining like a spoiled child that we did not get X player etc.

(Not a dig at you that)

I simply enjoy football, and the sooner the transfer window is over, the better.

Its a fucking crime against humanity that the transfer window does not end before the season, it ruin people  :lol:

And to be honest, i do not think a RB and a striker would propel us into the top 4 next season anyway, and that is not being pessimistic, but a realistic optimist  :lol:

Also, some people here say spurs are so active, and sign players etc. If you look at Spurs you see they usually sell a star player to invest in the squad.

Like we did with Carroll. Who would you sell?

I think this is what annoys me most about this thread and the forum at times.

We've got the best team we've had in ages, some likeable and classy players, we're in Europe when everyone expected mid table, we're being run well. But we have to waste our breath stereotyping each other's views and arguing about basically who is the best kind of fan.

We have a class club and a good team, let's enjoy it for a while at least.

I suppose I could just not come on here.

How is what I've said not ambitious? Just because I don't mind us doing things gradually and safely. This regime has demonstrated over the last 3 years that they know what they're doing, that we are making good progress, and nothing that has or hasn't happened this summer has convinced me that we haven't done things right. If one more player comes in no-one will be happier than me, but you'd think we'd sold Cisse and Ba going by some reactions in here.

People say we are short up front, and we maybe are slightly, but if we play what IMO is our best formation, there's only room for 1 or 2 strikers in it max.

And surely Anita is a viable option at full back now too.

Buying 1 first team player and what seems a back up player at that is not showing ambition especially when the club supposedly want us to push for top 4.

The club wants CL football and i don't see how Pardew has been backed enough to reach those goals or get close to them for that matter.

We are short upfront mainly because of AFCON, if Senegal qualify for it then we are well and truly f*cked.

Playing Anita at fullback for long periods is like playing Jonas at fullback.... can he do it? sure, should he be doing it? nope.

Has anybody from the club actually said that we realistically expect to be challenging for CL football? I think people's expectations are getting away from them if they think last season's exploits mean we can afford to spend like City and Chelsea in an effort to clinch a CL spot.

Ian it's worse than that, some people just fabricate what people are saying so they can pretend everything is ok, I hear our reserve team is almost as good as our first team things are that good  :iamatwat: