Loïc Remy

Guest bimpy474
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I made the mistake of talking about this with a Man U fan. He reckons it's just sour grapes, so I asked him to consider if a player would sign for Man United or Man City and if they still chose to go to Man United for less money, why they would do it. Man United have more prestige was the answer. So aye, apparently we don't have enough more prestige than QPR to justify coming here for less money than going there.

Others saying, it's like a worse company offering you more money, you'd go with the more money. I'm so fucking sick of this argument. It's not accountancy, no one dreams of working in an office. It's football ffs. Kids don't play on the streets thinking about wages and get out clauses. Fucking abhorrent man. 

They probably do now tbf

People who whinge about losing out on Remy don't understand that if we did match QPR's offer we'd have a dressing room full of players all on the phone to their agents telling them to get us to give them a better deal.

Did that happen with Coloccini?

He's our captain. And there was rumours he took a bit of a pay cut in exchange for a longer deal. We've pretty much signed him up on first team wages for probably a season or so, maybe even 2 when he's gone a bit past it.

If we where going to give 80k to anyone, it should've been Demba. QPR can't sustain their transfer policy, i'm certain of it.

What we do is bring in CL quality players from abroad, give them PL wages and a chance to shine. Play well like Ba/HBA and we might give you something close to PL CL wages or you'll be sold to a team that can. Where's Remy's motivation financially at QPR? He'll not get bigger wages anywhere, possibly ever. I'm sure they've got 6-7 players on 50k+ deals and you simply can't sustain that unless you sell big names or are in the CL.

He's our captain. And there was rumours he took a bit of a pay cut in exchange for a longer deal. We've pretty much signed him up on first team wages for probably a season or so, maybe even 2 when he's gone a bit past it.

If we where going to give 80k to anyone, it should've been Demba. QPR can't sustain their transfer policy, i'm certain of it.

What we do is bring in CL quality players from abroad, give them PL wages and a chance to shine. Play well like Ba/HBA and we might give you something close to PL CL wages or you'll be sold to a team that can. Where's Remy's motivation financially at QPR? He'll not get bigger wages anywhere, possibly ever. I'm sure they've got 6-7 players on 50k+ deals and you simply can't sustain that unless you sell big names or are in the CL.

They offered Demba £80k/week, he turned it down.

I made the mistake of talking about this with a Man U fan. He reckons it's just sour grapes, so I asked him to consider if a player would sign for Man United or Man City and if they still chose to go to Man United for less money, why they would do it. Man United have more prestige was the answer. So aye, apparently we don't have enough more prestige than QPR to justify coming here for less money than going there.

Others saying, it's like a worse company offering you more money, you'd go with the more money. I'm so f***ing sick of this argument. It's not accountancy, no one dreams of working in an office. It's football ffs. Kids don't play on the streets thinking about wages and get out clauses. f***ing abhorrent man. 

They probably do now tbf

1. We may have more "prestige" but you aren't any more likely to win trophies at Newcastle than you are at QPR.

2. Man Utd. lost Hazard to Chelsea. Aye, Chelsea won the CL but i'm sure it came down to money. Man Utd./Arsenal are the best places for young players in England.

Let's say QPR offered £20k more than us. If it's a reported £80k I would think the figure would be closer to £40k. Anyway, that's over a million pounds a year. 4 million over the life of the contract. Any player from abroad would do that. 90% of players would go to Newcastle at 80k than Liverpool at £60k.

Not a nice situation, whatsoever. I'm on the side that thinks Remy would have been good for us.

But I can't blame the club or management for the deal being hijacked.

But they are to blame for the desperation that losing out, on him, puts us in.

One shred of confidence, I have, is Mike Ashley is no mug when it comes to cash. Whatever we think about Sports Direct...he's got that company to the point it has all but wiped out the competition, across the UK!

So I can't see him risking being relegated and missing out on next season's windfall. Not now that he's seen what the lack of investment in the summer has done.

He bought Cisse, last January, to help us push on. I think he will try and try to get bodies in. I think (hope) this window will be a good one. Gulp.

Same here, gutting about Remy but I'm hoping Aubemeyang was a genuine option.

CB also desperately needed.

They offered Demba £80k/week, he turned it down.

Aye, well Remy's no Demba anyway.

NUFC are both in a relegation battle. QPR are deeper in it, it has to be said, but we're in it too. They also have a better manager. So, from the outside looking in, 2 clubs down the bottom of the division have approached him, one's offered him more money and a relegation release clause.

People who whinge about losing out on Remy don't understand that if we did match QPR's offer we'd have a dressing room full of players all on the phone to their agents telling them to get us to give them a better deal.

As opposed to a team in danger of relegation and whose star players may well be on the move next summer....

There's no way we could or would match what QPR are paying players, we may as well accept that. It's not like QPR's transfer policy has led to unbridled success.

I agree. We don't much much prestige attached to our name either and our manager is of no note internationally. In fact, he's worse than theirs.

He wouldn't be signing for us because of the glory would he? So, it has to be about money and we can't afford him.

Sincerely hope they've found someone we can afford.

Guest Brazilianbob

The problem with buying players in January is clubs dont want to sell their better players so you have to offer above their market value to persuade clubs to sell.  We have very clearly demonstrated that we will not go down that road so I simply cannot see us signing any players of note in January, Debuchy aside.

The problem with buying players in January is clubs dont want to sell their better players so you have to offer above their market value to persuade clubs to sell.  We have very clearly demonstrated that we will not go down that road so I simply cannot see us signing any players of note in January, Debuchy aside.

That doesn't really make sense though, because as you say we've already signed one player of note and were very close to a second. I agree with the general issues about signing players in January, but we're obviously not that far off.

There's no way we could or would match what QPR are paying players, we may as well accept that. It's not like QPR's transfer policy has led to unbridled success.

A lot of opinions seem to be comparing our policy to QPR, unsurprisingly considering what has occured in the last 24 hours.  But you can't really use QPR as any kind of yardstick, they are an anomaly if not a one off.

It's like trying to legislate against the maniac with a gun - unfortunately you can't. You just hope you never cross paths with them.

There is more and more money coming into the Premier League. This 'we shouldn't throw silly money around' rhetoric is admirable. Its also fair and logical. Unfortunately the Premier League isn't too bothered about what's fair. With more money coming into the league we can expect to see plenty of these Remy situations arise. They won't necessarily happen at the 11th hour but the fact of the matter is other clubs will simply offer more money than us and obviously money is likely to be high up the list when assessing job offers. 

I would hope that when the new money comes in we are able to spend a bit more on wages. That league table someone posted yesterday that showed the table according to average wages spent (11/12 season) is worrying for the club going forward. Ironically it also shows that money does not necessarily equate to success. I guess what I'm saying is principles are fine if you can afford them. At the moment I'm not convinced that we can.

QPR are the most insanely, short termist run side in the league. If they go down, they'll more than likely implode.

The problems provincial sides, ones who can't offer constant CL football, face is that we're not in London, and London is one of the best cities on earth. That's one factor which will swing players (and their wives), there probably aren't many better places to be than London for a youmg multi-millionaire.

If Remy has been swung by the insane £££ that QPR have offered, then, frankly, you're better off without him. It's at the very least an indication of what his commitment would be like.

They want to build a new stadium and they will get a lot of corporate sponsors from Asia. Fernandes is a smart guy. He's not a guy who lucked or was born into money. He has business sense. He's investing now and hopes that it'll pay off later. The sustainability of the club will depend on their revenue but he already has a plan for increasing their revenue. That's much more than Portsmouth ever had. Whether he's successful is another matter but they're certainly not a Portsmouth who had owners who spent beyond their capabilities.

Yes they are.

Portsmouth had a new stadium in the pipeline.

Portsmouth actively were looking for extra sponsors and thought buying success now would buy them guaranteed future which was completely wrong.

They still went he same way as Leeds.

Which QPR will do when they get relegated.

Fernandez is way smarter than anyone who was ever connected to Pompey.

They want to build a new stadium and they will get a lot of corporate sponsors from Asia. Fernandes is a smart guy. He's not a guy who lucked or was born into money. He has business sense. He's investing now and hopes that it'll pay off later. The sustainability of the club will depend on their revenue but he already has a plan for increasing their revenue. That's much more than Portsmouth ever had. Whether he's successful is another matter but they're certainly not a Portsmouth who had owners who spent beyond their capabilities.

Yes they are.

Portsmouth had a new stadium in the pipeline.

Portsmouth actively were looking for extra sponsors and thought buying success now would buy them guaranteed future which was completely wrong.

They still went he same way as Leeds.

Which QPR will do when they get relegated.

Fernandez is way smarter than anyone who was ever connected to Pompey.

History is littered with the still smouldering corpses of clever, rich men who went into football club ownership and still got burned.

QPR are the most insanely, short termist run side in the league. If they go down, they'll more than likely implode.

The problems provincial sides, ones who can't offer constant CL football, face is that we're not in London, and London is one of the best cities on earth. That's one factor which will swing players (and their wives), there probably aren't many better places to be than London for a youmg multi-millionaire.

If Remy has been swung by the insane £££ that QPR have offered, then, frankly, you're better off without him. It's at the very least an indication of what his commitment would be like.

He's 27 not 23. His type of player - pace and athelticism tend to decline quickly as they approach their 30's. He needs the money now.