The infamous FIFA 100

James

Although I was kind of aware that there was some kind of infamous list compiled by Pele of the greatest players of all time, I never knew the exact details and just reading it on wikipedia now, I'm thinking - what a joke!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_100

Despite being called the FIFA 100, Pele couldn't bear to cut the list of names down to 100 so we are stuck with 125. In order to not offend any living footballers, all dead greats were excluded from the list.

According to the list, 4 of the greatest players of all time have played for Newcastle over the past three seasons. Three of our last 6 managers were also amongst the greatest players of all time (although that is slightly more reasonable)

Here is the list in full:

Argentina

Diego Maradona

Alfredo Di Stéfano

Daniel Passarella

Gabriel Batistuta

Hernán Crespo

Javier Saviola

Javier Zanetti

Juan Sebastián Verón

Mario Kempes

Omar Sivori

Belgium

Franky Van Der Elst

Jean-Marie Pfaff

Jan Ceulemans

Brazil

Cafu

Carlos Alberto

Djalma Santos

Falcão

Nílton Santos

Pelé

Rivaldo

Rivelino

Roberto Carlos

Romário

Ronaldinho

Ronaldo

Sócrates

Zico

Bulgaria

Hristo Stoichkov

Cameroon

Roger Milla

Chile

Elías Figueroa

Iván Zamorano

Colombia

Carlos Valderrama

Croatia

Davor Šuker

Czech Republic

Josef Masopust

Pavel Nedvěd

Denmark

Brian Laudrup

Michael Laudrup

Peter Schmeichel

England

Alan Shearer

Bobby Charlton

David Beckham

Gary Lineker

Gordon Banks

Kevin Keegan

Michael Owen

France

David Trézéguet

Didier Deschamps

Éric Cantona

Jean-Pierre Papin

Just Fontaine

Lilian Thuram

Marcel Desailly

Marius Trésor

Michel Platini

Patrick Vieira

Raymond Kopa

Robert Pirès

Thierry Henry

Zinedine Zidane

Germany

Franz Beckenbauer

Gerd Müller

Jürgen Klinsmann

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge

Lothar Matthäus

Michael Ballack

Oliver Kahn

Paul Breitner

Sepp Maier

Uwe Seeler

Ghana

Abédi Pelé

Hungary

Ferenc Puskás

Ireland

Roy Keane

Italy

Alessandro Del Piero

Alessandro Nesta

Christian Vieri

Dino Zoff

Francesco Totti

Franco Baresi

Giampiero Boniperti

Giacinto Facchetti

Gianluigi Buffon

Gianni Rivera

Giuseppe Bergomi

Paolo Rossi

Paolo Maldini

Roberto Baggio

Japan

Hidetoshi Nakata

Liberia

George Weah

Mexico

Hugo Sánchez

Netherlands

Clarence Seedorf

Dennis Bergkamp

Edgar Davids

Frank Rijkaard

Johan Neeskens

Johan Cruijff

Marco van Basten

Patrick Kluivert

René van de Kerkhof

Rob Rensenbrink

Ruud Gullit

Ruud van Nistelrooy

Willy van de Kerkhof

Nigeria

Jay-Jay Okocha

Northern Ireland

George Best

Paraguay

Romerito

Peru

Teófilo Cubillas

Poland

Zbigniew Boniek

Portugal

Eusébio

Luís Figo

Rui Costa

Romania

Gheorghe Hagi

Russia

Rinat Dasaev

Scotland

Kenny Dalglish

Senegal

El Hadji Diouf

Republic of Korea

Hong Myung-Bo

Spain

Emilio Butragueño

Luis Enrique

Raúl

Turkey

Emre Belözoğlu

Rüştü Reçber

Ukraine

Andriy Shevchenko

Uruguay

Enzo Francescoli

United States

Michelle Akers

Mia Hamm

It's not the "greatest players of all time" list tbf, as you say, it was a current list of the "greatest living footballers" at the time. Still offers a few laughs though.

Many reckon that decision was only made because FIFA wouldn't be able to take exclusive photographs in order to sell a photobook. If they did the greatest footballers of all time, there would be quite a few photos of urns and coffins

Guest mckeags wig

No Scott Parker?

Emre kicks his ass according to Mr. Diplomatic - Mr. Pele himself.

Interestingly selective signature.

Roeder’s PL win percentage as manager is…. 42.9%. On a par with SBR.

Bit harsh not including Scholes when you see some of the names on there.

Just because there's a load of joke entries on that list there's no need to include another. There are more deserving candidates in the current ManU team even, than Scholes, Giggs for example (as big a dick, as he is).

Where's Nicky Butt?  :confused:

Thing is, at the end of a World Cup, Pele compiles a list of every single player that performed mediocrely or better, and then conducts one-on-one interviews with pretty much every single member of the press. For each press meeting, you'll get something like this:

Reporter: Who was your player of the tournament then?

Pele: There were many good players, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ballack. It's a tough one, let me come back to it. Which country are you reporting for?

Reporter: England

Pele: (looks at list) Miicky Butt, he was my best player.

Reporter: Nicky Butt?

Pele: Yes. Havent got much time, I have another reporter to see in the next room, got to go see him now. (Leaves and meets next reporter)

Reporter No. 2: Who was your player of the tournament then?

Pele: There were many good players, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ballack. It's a tough one, let me come back to it. Which country are you reporting for?

Reporter No. 2: Northern Ireland

Pele: Ronaldo, he was the best player. That winger of yours that played for Manchester would have been able to match him though if he was playing.

Reporter No. 2: Keith Gillespie?

Pele: Yes

etc

Not since Roeder was confirmed as PERMANENT Newcastle manager. Shearer and Tommy Craig have departed to let Roeder do it all himself from that date. That is what I'm basing my percentages on.

Thing is, at the end of a World Cup, Pele compiles a list of every single player that performed mediocrely or better, and then conducts one-on-one interviews with pretty much every single member of the press. For each press meeting, you'll get something like this:

Thing is, Nicky Butt was fucking superb in 2002.

Thing is, Nicky Butt was fucking superb in 2002.

Agreed pretty much, though I think Pele overrated him a little, and wouldn't have said that in front of a foreign press (or if he didn't play for Manchester United)

Guest mckeags wig

Not since Roeder was confirmed as PERMANENT Newcastle manager. Shearer and Tommy Craig have departed to let Roeder do it all himself from that date. That is what I'm basing my percentages on.

I know, but’s it’s a fairly arbitrary line to draw. As is, to a lesser extent, limiting your analysis to PL games.

GR’s win percentage as manager - 44%

GR’s win percentage since becoming the permanent manager all competitions - 46%

GR’s win percentage since becoming the permanent manager cup - 75%

It’s only by excluding huge chunks of Roeder’s NUFC managerial career that you can arrive at a  poor win percentage.  I know the league is ‘what matters’ but excluding the bits that don’t support the idea he’s no good is very unfair. 

Southall should have been on that list. The only keeper there that was his equal is Schmeichel

Southall was definitely an all-time great. Perhaps carried on slightly too long though as he lost his agility.

I know, but’s it’s a fairly arbitrary line to draw. As is, to a lesser extent, limiting your analysis to PL games.

GR’s win percentage as manager - 44%

GR’s win percentage since becoming the permanent manager all competitions - 46%

GR’s win percentage since becoming the permanent manager cup - 75%

It’s only by excluding huge chunks of Roeder’s NUFC managerial career that you can arrive at a  poor win percentage.  I know the league is ‘what matters’ but excluding the bits that don’t support the idea he’s no good is very unfair. 

I regularly review my stance on the manager, but right now 17th isn't good enough, especially considering our home record. This isn't mentioning poor performance during the transfer window and some appalling tactical decisions made during our matches. Things may be starting to turn around, but I'm not going to support a prolonged tenure by Roeder until he actually turns things around.

I've got nothing against the guy, and if improvement continues I'm happy for him to remain until the end of the season. It will take a dramatic improvement though for me to not call for his departure at the end of the season, as I do feel that a much better manager will need to be in charge for any long term success.

This is all taking the thread off topic, but if you want to discuss this further, please start a new thread on this and I will happily respond.

I was glad at first coz Shearer made it.... but then looked at it and thought wtf? :lol: It's a load of rubbish, the fact that it has 125 is only the beginning of how ridiculous it is.